GDT: Game #6: St. Louis Blues vs. Chicago Blackhawks // The story of the curse

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
1 (very weak goal)

He averaged over 3 GAA in the playoffs. Miller was brought in here to make those saves, it's hard for any team to win a series having to score at least 4 goals a game.

You also arent going to win anything going 6% on the power play.
Looking at the numbers you posted, you also have to look at what lead up to those goals being scored. Defensemen not tying sticks up in front, letting them get deflections. Not getting the puck out of the zone when you have the chance. Constant, relentless pressure by Chicago. At some point, you have to tip your hat to Chicago for playing that style, but to beat them, our guys had to do a better job of stopping them.

I think what burns me the most is the fact they rolled over and died after that second goal was scored. That is unforgivable.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
You also arent going to win anything going 6% on the power play.
Looking at the numbers you posted, you also have to look at what lead up to those goals being scored. Defensemen not tying sticks up in front, letting them get deflections. Not getting the puck out of the zone when you have the chance. Constant, relentless pressure by Chicago. At some point, you have to tip your hat to Chicago for playing that style, but to beat them, our guys had to do a better job of stopping them.

I think what burns me the most is the fact they rolled over and died after that second goal was scored. That is unforgivable.

Maybe, but Chicagos PP was terrible as well for awhile and St. Louis had constant pressure at times but you know what happened? Crawford made the saves.

As for giving up after the second goal, I don't think they did. Chicago scored the third goal fairly quick and it was a pathetic goal to give up. Sharp didn't even shoot the puck. After that everyone knew it was over.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Just proved that the current core won't ever get it done. The Blues should take a page from the Sharks playbook and start retooling, because without done major upgrades in skill, this team won't ever get it done.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Maybe, but Chicagos PP was terrible as well for awhile and St. Louis had constant pressure at times but you know what happened? Crawford made the saves.
Yea, but our powerplay was just brutal far worse than Chicago's. Coaching made zero adjustments. What's the excuse there? The Backes hit and powerplay were the biggest buzz kills of the series.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Yea, but our powerplay was just brutal far worse than Chicago's. Coaching made zero adjustments. What's the excuse there? The Backes hit and powerplay were the biggest buzz kills of the series.

Regardless of them not making adjustments, they still had some quality chances on their PP's. They just didn't score on them.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Hell, I would've taken Gaborik if we couldn't get Vanek.

It was honestly a joke that Armstrong thought a 5% increase in goaltending was worth spending that much on when it was obvious that our goal scoring would be the biggest need.

Sure, we scored a lot of goals this year, but a lot of guys had unsustainably high shooting percentages in the first half, like Steen, and when they inevitably put up numbers more similar to their career marks in the second half we struggled. A trade could have mitigated that and guys like Vanek weren't even expensive. Instead we spend a ton for a goalie whose career numbers are basically the same as the guy we're trading away.

That one deal made me lose all confidence in Armstrong, and now that the results of it have come to fruition I'm really pissed. And I'm worried that the future of our team, because Armstrong clearly doesn't understand how to build a team as well as I thought he did during the start of his tenure here.

The Blues are still set up to be a Cup winner and maybe multiple Cup winner if they do things right, but they can't waste assets like they did this year and keep it up. Especially if they have issues spending to the cap at some point.

Gullibull

Oct 18, 2011
Just for perspective, the Blues statistically could have had 100 powerplays and converted on just 6 of those. A 6% PP is unacceptable.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Just one, our 2015 1st. If we don't re-sign Miller, and don't trade his rights before the draft(which seems like the most likely scenario) we give up our 2015 1st, our 2016 3rd, Carrier, Halak, and Stewart for Miller and Ott. I still, even after seeing how it played out, don't hate the trade. Halak and Stewart are not difference makers. 2015 1st is by far the biggest loss, but that will likely be in the 20s, so it's not all that horrible. 3rd is a crap shoot and is 2 years away. Carrier is fairly redundant with our team and prospects. If we resign Miller after the draft, that 2016 3rd becomes a 2016 2nd, but I highly doubt that happens.

Just watch us tank next year only to see the Sabres wind up with Mcdavid

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Just for perspective, the Blues statistically could have had 100 powerplays and converted on just 6 of those. A 6% PP is unacceptable.

When we controlled the 2nd and went, 0-6 (at least I think it was 0-6) you just expected them to score on their first one, didn't you? You expect it, but somehow it still makes you angrier when you know it is coming.

Same ole' (stuff). Same shovel.

Kiwiknightz

Dec 21, 2011
Auckland, NZ
Just watch us tank next year only to see the Sabres wind up with Mcdavid

Yeah you're right we probably couldn't even win the lottery although Jack Eichel looks pretty good so it wouldn't be total loss unless we picked defense :sarcasm:
Very unlikely we will be picking that high though, we'll be back in the playoffs where our inability to finish will see us lose in the 1st round again no doubt.

McDooRoo

Feb 24, 2013
Wyoming
Good series guys. I can understand the disappointment with losing the series, but it was a good tough series.

Miller let in some softies, but he does way better when facing a ton of shots and with the Blues he wasn't getting that. I don't know that I would try to resign him or not if I was the Blues.

As for offensive help what about a trade for O'Reilly of Colorado? I know it's a within division trade, but make it juicy enough and Colorado might do it.

As for Crawford being better than Miller I wouldn't go that far. Crow let in some softies too.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just wanted to give you guys my condolences. I've been watching some of the Blues game since the Olympic break after watching Oshie and Backes in Sochi. It sucks, really thought you guys were a favorite to win it all this year. I've been rooting for the Rangers, Tampa because of the Callahan trade, and also you guys. So sadly I am down to one team.

Good luck next season!

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Not the strategy really. Our execution started trending downward right before the Olympic break and never really recovered. It's the simple things that burned us. Backing in way too deep on the zone entries, being soft of the boards trying to get the puck out, giving dmen all the space in the world on the points etc. That's not really the strategy(other than giving the dmen space. Hitch loves to protect the house with all 5 guys), it's the execution.

That's what I saw too. I felt like that was on the coaching. I kept thinking that they just needed a break in the schedule and Hitchcock would tighten that up after a couple practices. Then I thought they were just getting a little complacent late in the season and would sharpen it up in the post-season. But it really never improved.

This version of the Blues was a solid playoff team, but they didn't elevate their play for the postseason. I think several guys were playing at something far below 100%, but that's true for many teams.

I'm really not sure if Chicagos PK is great or the Blues PP just evaporated. handzus looked like a Greek god on the PK, but I won't be the least surprised if their PK is victimized next round. I fear the real answer is that the Blues PP is easy to defend and was inept. Also credit to Crawford for playing better than Miller.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Cole needs to play 82 games next year

Cole took a step forward this season, but I'm not seeing whatever people are seeing that keep clamoring for him. I thought Leopold had a decent series in his role. But I don't see Cole really having any appreciable effect on the outcome being any different. He's an average defenseman, and not what we hoped he would turn into when he was drafted that high.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
This series also shows why Backes isn't good enough to be a first center. Compared to Toews he's been a joke.

Well he was playing with a injured foot, and concussion symptoms, from only a week ago. I'll give him a pass.

mizzoublues29

Unregistered User
Apr 10, 2009
Columbia, MO
Cole took a step forward this season, but I'm not seeing whatever people are seeing that keep clamoring for him. I thought Leopold had a decent series in his role. But I don't see Cole really having any appreciable effect on the outcome being any different. He's an average defenseman, and not what we hoped he would turn into when he was drafted that high.
It seemed like CC got way too many starts with Cole in the press box down the stretch.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but that should never happen.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

How do we know? When you play 2 games and sit for the next 10, how are you supposed to get better? He is probably playing scared to make a mistake type of hockey. Plug him on the 3rd pairing for 82 games and let's see what we have. I think he'll surprise people

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It seemed like CC got way too many starts with Cole in the press box down the stretch.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but that should never happen.

I saw that as Hitchcock trying to get more offense for the point, and Colaiacovo is the better option for that. If Pietro and Bouw hadn't dropped off in production, it wouldn't have happened and Cole would have seen more ice time. Cola was scapegoated a lot, but he did his job acceptably well. Dude didn't play a minute of this series, so it's hardly fair to pick on him right now.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
How do we know? When you play 2 games and sit for the next 10, how are you supposed to get better? He is probably playing scared to make a mistake type of hockey. Plug him on the 3rd pairing for 82 games and let's see what we have. I think he'll surprise people

Maybe so...but I thought Leopold played well is series for his role. He wasn't the guy backing in and giving up game winners. I saw him punishing guys on the walls a lot. I don't see the difference between him and Cole amounting to much. Hopefully Cole is good enough to be a full time player next year.

mizzoublues29

Unregistered User
Apr 10, 2009
Columbia, MO
I saw that as Hitchcock trying to get more offense for the point, and Colaiacovo is the better option for that. If Pietro and Bouw hadn't dropped off in production, it wouldn't have happened and Cole would have seen more ice time. Cola was scapegoated a lot, but he did his job acceptably well. Dude didn't play a minute of this series, so it's hardly fair to pick on him right now.
Yeah I don't disagree with ya.

So what do we name this curse? Is is Scotty Bowman, Keenan, the Salomons?

Surely we can direct our disappointment towards an individual to mend our hearts :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad