Pre-Game Talk: GAME 6 | SENS VS RANGERS | Tuesday 7:30 PM @ MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Pretty amazing that we sit here with the team in position to close out a 2nd round victory. After the ups and downs this season this is really something when you step back from the day to day stuff.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I voted no. I get the point of playing Neil at home, with last change, and with the boost to fan support. On the road I want all my 4 lines to be solid. Ideally I'd bring White in, but that's not going to happen, and if Wingels (my next preference) is hurt, then it should be Dzingel drawing back in.

I also hope Claesson plays again.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wideman is really struggling. He hasn't had a good playoffs despite having a great regular season.
We can shelter him at home a little. On the road ......yeah NY is going to tee off on our bottom pairing when its on the ice:cry:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think the Rangers are in trouble. Stone, Turris and Brassard all chipping in last game – three guys who have run a bit on the cold side this series. If Anderson can give us even average goaltending, I think we can take this at MSG.

Combine that with the fact that Staal and Girardi are terrible, Vigneault is a clown who refuses to play Skjei and Smith more often, Buchnevich is the greatest player ever to be a healthy scratch and that Ottawa is incredibly lucky and not all that good, and I think it spells good things.

I've been reading the neutral boards too much.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Really weird to hear people and radio personalities say Neil was essentially the reason we won game 5. Why are people so willing to disconnect themselves from reality in 2017? Present someone with a fact and its FAKE NEWS or biased. I was all for Neil playing that game and I was stoked to see Glass get his face punched but at the end of the day Neil played 3 minutes and negated a PP. That's all he did. To overstate his performance is a massive discredit to the guys who actually did have to battle in that game and put points on the board. He should definitely not play in an elimatuon game where the shenanigans will be non existent and Boucher doesn't have the luxury of last change.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Really weird to hear people and radio personalities say Neil was essentially the reason we won game 5. Why are people so willing to disconnect themselves from reality in 2017? Present someone with a fact and its FAKE NEWS or biased. I was all for Neil playing that game and I was stoked to see Glass get his face punched but at the end of the day Neil played 3 minutes and negated a PP. That's all he did. To overstate his performance is a massive discredit to the guys who actually did have to battle in that game and put points on the board. He should definitely not play in an elimatuon game where the shenanigans will be non existent and Boucher doesn't have the luxury of last change.

I think the post game comments from a number of Senators, including Turris, demonstrate the impact he had on the game. Certainly to fans looking only at the box score his impact does not seem as pronounced. But I for one choose to take the accolades his coach and team mates showered him with at face value and believe that Chris Neil had a significant impact on Saturday's game.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

I'm with you on this. There is a big difference between Neil and Tanner Glass in that Glass has wheels and can get himself back in the play.

But on the other hand we are talking about the 12th forward, and the playoffs are weird. If there is some boost in spirit the team gets by having Neil on the bench, I'm not too worried about him taking a spot from a guy like Dzingel who has been relatively quiet

The roster move I'm more concerned about is our 6th D-man - I don't want to see Wideman again

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I have mixed feelings bout dressing Neil again. Sure, he had an impact in last game, players don't lie. But question is if that magic will work again? I doubt that.
Of course they can let him be on bench for limited ice time and ride some other players a bit more. In an eventual 7th game I assume all players will squeeze out what they've got no matter what.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Votes yes, such a terrific player, an A too. :popcorn:
:D

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We'll dress Neil if you dress Glass again!

Glass have 4 pts playing for his life and obviously a new contract - even at the Pens forum he was praised by old fans over there! :)
We can`t dress Pavel Buch. he only have 1 pts - even though he has much better talent, but he need better physics for playoffs hockey. :nod:

Neil vs Glass duel, I`m fine with that. ;)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
That's actually an interesting point I was thinking about this morning.
'
When do the coaches know each other's lineups? Does one have the chance to respond to the other, as above?
I was thinking this at game five, myself! I'd bet it's moments before puck drop, likely after the official lineup cards have both been submitted. Too late to make any changes, so as to create a level playing field. Would explain a lot of the head games that happen during press conferences and the like.
Glass have 4 pts playing for his life and obviously a new contract - even at the Pens forum he was praised by old fans over there! :)
We can`t dress Pavel Buch. he only have 1 pts - even though he has much better talent, but he need better physics for playoffs hockey. :nod:

Neil vs Glass duel, I`m fine with that. ;)

Me too! It worked out so well last time. Glad we're in agreement – we'll go ahead and lock that in.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I think the Rangers are in trouble. Stone, Turris and Brassard all chipping in last game – three guys who have run a bit on the cold side this series. If Anderson can give us even average goaltending, I think we can take this at MSG.

Combine that with the fact that Staal and Girardi are terrible, Vigneault is a clown who refuses to play Skjei and Smith more often, Buchnevich is the greatest player ever to be a healthy scratch and that Ottawa is incredibly lucky and not all that good, and I think it spells good things.

I've been reading the neutral boards too much.

If your the Rangers you should have win game 2 to blow that many leads and lose and game 5 the same thing that start to weigh on your mind.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think the post game comments from a number of Senators, including Turris, demonstrate the impact he had on the game. Certainly to fans looking only at the box score his impact does not seem as pronounced. But I for one choose to take the accolades his coach and team mates showered him with at face value and believe that Chris Neil had a significant impact on Saturday's game.

It was a usual team talk, nothing more.
Like what would you expect them to say? The truth? That he took away 20% of a goal at the crucial point of a game?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Like what would you expect them to say? The truth? That he took away 20% of a goal at the crucial point of a game?

And if he didn't take that penalty against Glass we very well might have never gotten a comeback. Neil may only play a few minutes a night, but the energy he brings is astronomical

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Eh. Looking at it from a pro-Neil standpoint, I think the praise is reasonable. He was very clearly in the game for one reason only: neutralize Glass and make him less likely to take liberties. He did that. And yes, he neutralized a powerplay... but on the other hand, you could argue that he picked his moment so he'd get the message across and not leave the team shorthanded.

I think he did an admirable job, given what he was brought in to do. And the roar from the crowd when he stepped on the ice was pretty surprising, to me. That said, do I play him on away ice? Or in any game that could potentially go to overtime? Absolutely not. I'd slot in Wingels for Neil if the former is healthy, Dzingel if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad