GDT: Game #6|Sat., Oct. 12 2013|Flyers at Red Wings |7:00 p.m. ET ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wixztor

Mar 30, 2013
Systems take weeks not days to learn.

Some youth and speed from guys that are hungry might do some good. This team looks ****ed though. Hard to come back from 1-5 even in a full season

Of course learning a system fully is going to take time, it's just that I'd like to see the players at least show that they understand some of the coach's pointers. THAT shouldn't be so hard.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
It sucks losing 2 top 6 guys but the shake up might help. I hated the lines that Berube was using. Voracek back with G is great. The best thing though is changing the stupid PP formation the team has been using. Two net guys like Simmonds & Hartnell on the top unit was overkill and actually takes away most of the down low passing. It's just too easy to defend when the main passing lanes are up high. Having both G & Voracek up front should make it far more dynamic.

It should also be interesting to see Schenn back at centre with Read & Raffl on the second line. Schenn/Lecavalier looked to be getting some chemistry though and I hope he gets back soon.

I still don't know why Laughton was sent back to junior. He is destroying the competition down there and there was a top 9 spot for him even prior to injuries. Talbot should be 4th line.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
The defense and goaltending has been good. I like the system changes in terms of the defense and breakout. The offense just needs to get going and this team will start to climb the standings.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What I know is last game looked like an improvement. While that's sad, I'll take any slight step forward.

You also have to remember that Phoenix is a mostly defensive team so it's not like we were playing against Fluery and the Pens D. I wouldn't expect to score a lot on them even the last two seasons. And it is encouraging to see progress at the very least, especially since Berube has only had two practices with them.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
The flyers need to get points in these next 3 games so they feel good going in the 6 day period where they don't play games.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The flyers need to get points in these next 3 games so they feel good going in the 6 day period where they don't play games.

If they are say, 2-6 or 1-7 after these three next games, I see Homer stepping down as GM and Hextall taking over. Of course it would be Homer getting "fired" but it wouldn't never come out as that. Then I would be scared to see what hextall does to the lineup.(excited scared, some moves would probably be made)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If they are say, 2-6 or 1-7 after these three next games, I see Homer stepping down as GM and Hextall taking over. Of course it would be Homer getting "fired" but it wouldn't never come out as that. Then I would be scared to see what hextall does to the lineup.(excited scared, some moves would probably be made)

What do you mean by what Hextall does to the lineup? What do you think he would do? I doubt there's some magical trade that that he thinks fixes things that he's just not telling Homer about.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Top two lines:

McGinn with Giroux and Voracek;
Raffl with Schenn and Simmonds

And, as assumed, Emery starts tonight.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why the hell is McGinn with G and Voracek??? He's a slower and less skilled version of Hartnell, who wasn't even good on that line. I do, however, like Raffl with Schenn and Simmonds. I was worried that he'd be stuck down on the 3rd or 4th line and someone then Talbot would be moved to the 2nd line or something like that. I'd rather Read take Simmonds spot though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Serious question, can someone explain to me why so many people like McGinn so much? I've never been impressed by him and yet people love him all over Twitter, Reddit, and sometimes on here.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006

The last I heard there are some rumors of them looking to acquire Byfuglien.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
McGinn hasn't been the same player he was before he broke his orbital bone.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
McGinn has been on the top line the last time he was called up right? He'll move his body around, create space for G'n'Jake, mimic Hartnell and all that good stuff... think thats not a bad idea.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
McGinn has been on the top line the last time he was called up right? He'll move his body around, create space for G'n'Jake, mimic Hartnell and all that good stuff... think thats not a bad idea.

Yes, he played with Giroux and Voracek. He also played with Schenn and Simmonds prior to that.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I don't like the line-up. Looks like a pretty weak top-9.

Why not:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
McGinn-Talbot-Raffl
Rosehill-Hall-Rinaldo.

It is a poor third line, but at least the top-six is decent.

EDIT: If Schenn's future is at LW, let him stay at LW. Moving him back and forth between LW and C isn't going to help him settle in to a role.

Yukon Cornelius*

On principle, I don't bet on or against the Flyers. That being said, I sure wish I could bet the house on the Wings tonight. This is going to be Lena Dunham ugly tonight. Losing by only 2 will be a moral victory.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
On principle, I don't bet on or against the Flyers. That being said, I sure wish I could bet the house on the Wings tonight. This is going to be Lena Dunham ugly tonight. Losing by only 2 will be a moral victory.

Lena Dunham is a pig. God man, they're not that bad...

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Injury updates:

Hartnell 2-to-4 weeks

Lecavalier, a minimum of one week.

Team has no scheduled games from from Oct 18-23.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
What do you mean by what Hextall does to the lineup? What do you think he would do? I doubt there's some magical trade that that he thinks fixes things that he's just not telling Homer about.

What I mean is if there is a change, gm's like to start putting their own touch on the roster. If snider is determined to make the playoffs and compete, hextall would start targeting players he likes. So all the Los Angeles kings!

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im not disgruntled by this start. I know they are having problems scoring goals but defensively and goaltending wise they look pretty good, which was their problems with this team recently. I think the scoring will eventually come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad