GDT: Game #6|Sat., Oct. 12 2013|Flyers at Red Wings |7:00 p.m. ET ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
any word, predictions on who starts in net for the Flyers?

Going off the back-to-back theory, the assumption is Ray Emery tonight. The Flyers also do not play for a week starting October 18, so it is likely Emery will play at least once prior to that stretch.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I have to agree with this. Right now, everything is going wrong. And it's all feeding off each other. Negativity breeds bad luck, and right now, everything is negative. Once just one thing goes right, our fortunes will begin to change.

Giroux is obviously not a 0 point scorer. Once he buries one, things will get easier for him. The first one's just the hardest. Once that flood gate breaks, it will get easier for the rest of the team.

My concern is that it's not simply that things are going bad. The team
can't even make the plays that should be the simplest things to do. And it's not just one guy, it's every. Single. Player.

Things are just going bad, this team just looks like a, they have absolutely no idea what they're doing or b, none of them are nearly as good as we though.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The games we all expect to lose we usually win, so heres hoping that happens. I'm working while this one is going on, so hopefully that will keep my mind off the game as much. Been a pretty disappointing start though boys.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Steve Mason has statistically been one of the worst goalies (if not the worst) in the NHL since that Calder win... which was five years ago. That is not a small sample size, especially considering he even put up terrible numbers last year behind the same team that Bob played well enough to win a Vezina behind.

It's great that he has looked confident in the truly small sample size in Philly, but let's not pretend the criticism he received in Columbus wasn't deserved. His numbers there were awful.

I'm aware of his stats with Columbus. That basically amounts to three seasons of starting with the Calder season excluded. Three seasons is a small sample size, even for a goalie especially when considering it was early in his career.

I never said the criticism was deserved, but let's also not pretend like people still bash him and act like he's still like he was in Columbus.

Hi guys,

Wings lines appear to be this for the game (Babcock changed them in practice yesterday):

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Franzen - Weiss - Abdelkader
Cleary - Andersson - Alfredsson
Miller - Glendening - Tootoo

Defense pairings are the same.

I'm looking forward to this one tonight. Good luck!

I also very much enjoyed reading the OP here. Very well done.

That second line is horrible. Still, by far the best team we've faced so far this season.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
In all likelihood a comfortable victory for Detroit, when you factor in that players show no signs of adapting to any new system and that it's a back-to-back game as well.

Systems take weeks not days to learn.

Some youth and speed from guys that are hungry might do some good. This team looks ****ed though. Hard to come back from 1-5 even in a full season

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I can't see us winning in any likelihood. Doesn't mean we won't but I just don't think it'll happen.

Two injured players (one of which was our only top six player showing any signs of life), two call-ups, likely both Newbury and Rosehill in the lineup again along with Rinaldo, tail-end of a back-to-back, Emery is probably playing, and this is the best team we've faced thus far. Just all not good things.

One hilarious stat I found was that we have 20.8 PIM per game so far while Detroit has...8.5.

I'd put a facepalm but I don't feel like going to advanced mode.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The games we all expect to lose we usually win, so heres hoping that happens. I'm working while this one is going on, so hopefully that will keep my mind off the game as much. Been a pretty disappointing start though boys.

I think I read somewhere that they have only won 1 out of 18 or something @ Detroit in regulation so I would not expect much tonite :help:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My concern is that it's not simply that things are going bad. The team
can't even make the plays that should be the simplest things to do. And it's not just one guy, it's every. Single. Player.

Things are just going bad, this team just looks like a, they have absolutely no idea what they're doing or b, none of them are nearly as good as we though.

I don't get why people keep saying this. So the last two seasons were a fluke but the first 5 of this season is the real representation of how good they are? This is just people being too depressed to think straight.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
I want Raffl to come up, be good, and stay with the team but I think one of the two guys brought up should've been Akeson, as I don't think Raffl will be much of a point producer.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Wish they brought up Akeson.

Starting to think we really overestimated Simmonds' abilities and he's regressing to how he was with the Kings: a gritty 3rd liner who can't do much of anything with the puck on his stick.

Otherwise, I dont get all the B. Schenn hate (not this thread, but recently). Guys been one of the only ones getting consistent scoring chances, and he's also our leading scorer.

Couturier as well; he could use some more confidence in the offensive zone, but he's one of the only ones that consistently drives play up the ice from what I've noticed. Even with that black hole Talbot trying to move the puck the other way.

We really need to see more from Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds and Hartnell. 2/3 of our top 6 has been garbage so far. Still don't know what the hell Chief was thinking putting Simmonds on the top line. Hartnell shouldn't be there either (if he wasn't injured) with how he's played since the start of last season.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Wish they brought up Akeson.

Starting to think we really overestimated Simmonds' abilities and he's regressing to how he was with the Kings: a gritty 3rd liner who can't do much of anything with the puck on his stick.

Otherwise, I dont get all the B. Schenn hate (not this thread, but recently). Guys been one of the only ones getting consistent scoring chances, and he's also our leading scorer.

Couturier as well; he could use some more confidence in the offensive zone, but he's one of the only ones that consistently drives play up the ice from what I've noticed. Even with that black hole Talbot trying to move the puck the other way.

We really need to see more from Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds and Hartnell. 2/3 of our top 6 has been garbage so far. Still don't know what the hell Chief was thinking putting Simmonds on the top line. Hartnell shouldn't be there either (if he wasn't injured) with how he's played since the start of last season.

Simmonds has always been a 2nd/3rd line in-between guy. I classify him as a slightly better version of Hartnell (who, in my opinion, was always overrated). Good for anywhere from 20 to 30 G in most seasons where he plays well and is utilized but aside from that his uses are pretty much limited to energy and grit. He's a good PP presence and all-around net presence. He'll probably never do much better then 60 P in his career or 30 G and that's always been true of him. I expect he'll average out as a 25 G, 50'ish P guy a la Hartnell.

Schenn has been great at putting himself in great scoring positions and finishing on good chances but other then that he's being the same Schenn he always has been in the NHL. Lots of talent, always looks like he's a step away from breaking out, but never taking that step.

Yeah there's been lots of questionable lineup decisions. From Newbury to Rosehill to Hartnell and Simmonds to Talbot. Lecavalier was our only consistent force on offense even in the slightest ways so with him out I wouldn't expect anything at all really.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Simmonds has always been a 2nd/3rd line in-between guy. I classify him as a slightly better version of Hartnell (who, in my opinion, was always overrated). Good for anywhere from 20 to 30 G in most seasons where he plays well and is utilized but aside from that his uses are pretty much limited to energy and grit. He's a good PP presence and all-around net presence. He'll probably never do much better then 60 P in his career or 30 G and that's always been true of him. I expect he'll average out as a 25 G, 50'ish P guy a la Hartnell.

Schenn has been great at putting himself in great scoring positions and finishing on good chances but other then that he's being the same Schenn he always has been in the NHL. Lots of talent, always looks like he's a step away from breaking out, but never taking that step.

Yeah there's been lots of questionable lineup decisions. From Newbury to Rosehill to Hartnell and Simmonds to Talbot. Lecavalier was our only consistent force on offense even in the slightest ways so with him out I wouldn't expect anything at all really.

I've been getting the impression that that's the best Schenn has to offer. Seems like a guy who can be a good complimentary player/finisher but never someone that will drive possession and create good scoring chances on his own. Reminds me of JVR. Very frustrating. But he's still pretty new to the NHL and hopefully we'll see the breakout we've all been hoping for.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Some Detroit fans are actually predicting a Flyers win. I'm surprised.

Look at their stats in their GDT compared to ours. They're really not much better according to that and what I've read on their boards. Even on paper I don't think they're a good team. Have to be one of the oldest teams in the league and they haven't drafted a great prospect in ages. They get credit for being a great drafting team yet they haven't been as of late.

They don't even have a PP goal yet I don't think. They're also benching Smith in favor of Lashoff and their second line is horrible. Beyond Zetterberg and Datsyuk their offense is pretty horrible. Alfredsson and Weiss are quality supporting cast but beyond that Franzen is slow and ineffective at this point and despite playing Abdelkader in scoring roles he's just a sheer grinder. It's really lacking in depth and youth.

Really, they're better because they're scoring two goals a game instead of one and aren't averaging over 20 PIM a game.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I've been getting the impression that that's the best Schenn has to offer. Seems like a guy who can be a good complimentary player/finisher but never someone that will drive possession and create good scoring chances on his own. Reminds me of JVR. Very frustrating. But he's still pretty new to the NHL and hopefully we'll see the breakout we've all been hoping for.

I had that impression as soon as we acquired him. People here ignored that this is exactly how LA felt about him despite having less NHL experience there.

JVR is probably a bit better because even though he will always be an underachiever at the NHL level at least he did produce some quality secondary scoring and had some good all around assets such as skating ability, size, and shot strength. Schenn seems similar, he just doesn't seem to be as capable of producing as much or as making plays on his own.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm aware of his stats with Columbus. That basically amounts to three seasons of starting with the Calder season excluded. Three seasons is a small sample size, even for a goalie especially when considering it was early in his career.

I never said the criticism was deserved, but let's also not pretend like people still bash him and act like he's still like he was in Columbus.

Those who still criticize him probably see his 11 games in Philly as a more probable outlier than the 171 games he played in Columbus after his Calder win. It's a criticism that has validity.

I don't know in what world 171 games played by a goalie would be considered a small sample size...

I really hope he turns it around here, because he certainly has the physical tools. He could be starter here for a while if he gets his head on his shoulders.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Those who still criticize him probably see his 11 games in Philly as a more probable outlier than the 171 games he played in Columbus after his Calder win. It's a criticism that has validity.

I don't know in what world 171 games played by a goalie would be considered a small sample size...

I really hope he turns it around here, because he certainly has the physical tools. He could be starter here for a while if he gets his head on his shoulders.

I get that, I'm not an idiot. There's also a very good possibility that he was simply not working for that team (a very poor team). It's not uncommon for players to perform better for one team or another or to even have their careers made or ruined by a team. Especially for a position as fickle and unpredictable as goal.

You view it as 171 games, I view it as three seasons early in a career on a historically very poor team. I never said that criticism isn't valid or that it's not a legitimate opinion to think he won't turn it around, but my point is that people like to bash him as if he hasn't played completely different in Philadelphia thus far. Between that fact, the Calder season, and his ability/skill-set it's not completely unlikely he turns it around.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I expect 3+ goals from the Flyers and a W. They just can not afford not doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->