GDT: Game 6: Preds @ Avs| 4/22, 5pm MT | It Aint Over Yet

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I'm proud of the boys, the entire season was one hell of a ride. Now it's up to Sakic to make the right moves so that the team can take the next step next year.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Well, it was a nice ride while it lasted. My morning after thoughts:

Pretty sure MacKinnon got a concussion last night thanks to Arvidsson.
We know Rantanen was playing with a hurt hand. And Lord knows what sort of injury Gabe was playing through, he always does.
Barrie has to be hurt too. He was so timid all series long and wasn't handling the puck with any sort of confidence. Terrified of getting hit. Probably also concussed from that head hit he took earlier on.

Now that's not trying to excuse anything, this is the playoffs where everyone plays hurt, but those were obvious signs of injuries to those guys and the reason they weren't as effective as they were in the reg season. We know they can be better which is encouraging.

Zadorov had an awesome series. Held the dirty Preds accountable as much as he could and played tremendously on both sides of the puck. Didn't have the greatest game last night at the start but he tightened up after the 1st and that's what you want to see with him. No more being afraid of a bad play, get back out there and make them pay. Very bright future. Easily our best defensemen all series.

Girard was great too. Clearly playing hurt, he wasn't intimidated by any physical play and was scrappy in his own end too. Tried to make something happen whenever he has the puck. Another very bright spot for the future.

Nemeth and Barbie, while playing overmatched and too high in the lineup, did pretty well considering they were waiver pickups. They had their gaffes and blunders but also made a lot of good plays. They would make a good 3rd pairing next year if they bring Barbs back.

Siemens didn't look as bad as expected, he's still growing as a player surprisingly and hopefully he sticks around as the 6th-7th D. He's a big body that skates well and plays the puck safely as he can, always useful in the playoffs. We saw how trash Dwarfsofty was, clearly not suited for any sort of NHL ice.

The top line did well even with all the injuries they had and Josi shutting them down all series.

Second line was only good for drawing penalties. Disappointing for Jost for sure, hopefully he uses this as a motivational tool for more growth and maturity (which I'm certain he will)

The their line was our most consistent. Always either won battles along the boards or had a scoring chance. Can't complain about anyone here. Soda was our best forward all series after Landeskog and MacKinnion. Too bad he wasn't better on the draw. But that goes for all our centres.

Fourth line was surprisingly very good. Bourque was consistenty brining energy and chippiness and heart. Compher was really good too, flying all over the ice and seems to have good chemistry with Sven. His puck skills still seem off though. If he doesn't have one or more hand/arm injuries I'd be shocked. Hopefully he grows as a player as well.

Ghetto was great. Got under the Preds' skin and stuck up for his teammates. He's a fearless scrappy little badger and I love it. Also one of the few players outside of the top line able to generate offense and create plays.

Kerfoot was as expected, not built for playoff hockey. He was good at drawing penalties though. Wilson was just classic Wilson. Nothing good not bad to say about him.

Bernier did well considering his ill corpse dragged us into the playoffs and he was playing hurt. Hamburger stole us a game and really that's incredible for any 3rd stringer let alone anyone in his situation. Well done to him I hope he earned an NHL contract somewhere.

As for the Preds...oh boy. Very mixed feelings.

They have way too many embellishers and cheap shotters and the refs were absolute trash. Clearly biased and it wasn't even funny.

Sissons and Watson were so good. Never crossed any lines or dove. Just played right. Dominated us along with Kick Bonino. Great line.

Forsberg killed us too. Basically was one line plus him that sealed our fate.

Other non divers that I can respect were Fisher, Hartnell, Jarnkrok, Irwin, Josi and Ekholm.

Can't remember if Turris or Fiala embellished but they did do stupid things out of frustration. Don't remember Salomaki at all.

As for the rest...they can go f*** themselves. Olympic Diving and Embellishing captain PK Pooban spent so much time flopping around on the ice like the turd he is I often mistook him for a live catfish someone tossed on the ice. Sneaky dirty plays too.

Ellis was also a little b**** all series. Dirty hits, embellishment, and constantly whining to the refs.

Arvidsson was consistently crossing the line and making questionable hits. No respect there.

Smith was diving around all series too. Emelin made some dirty hits and dove a bit, nothing out of the ordinary for him.

RyJo was doing his classic fake tough guy act, punching guys being held back and running away after. Hate him and always have. Gives off a real top notch douche bag vibe.

Then finally Fartman was diving and making dirty hits, clearly does more harm than good and I'm glad they kept him scratched.

Oh and Rinne is strange...I can't decide if he's really lucky or lucky because he's good. It seems a combination of both; his lucky flopping saves seem to give him more confidence. He's really weak high on the blocker side though. Or high glove. Down low he's a brick wall. Hard to make a call for me.

Anyway that was TL;DR but I'm proud of the boys and I enjoyed this roller coaster of a season with you all. We're from all over the planet and from all walks of life but damn it we have the Avs in common and are all one nation of equals in that regard!

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We just beat the Predators twice in the playoffs. A team without their #1 goalie or #1 defender the entire series. That lost their #2 goaltender and #4 defender for half the series. A team without a true 2nd line. And that's after losing every game against them in the regular season.

This series showed that the Avs earned their right to play Nashville in the playoffs, clawing from last in the regular season to last slot in the playoffs. Then giving their all and showing they could hang. Game 6 was disappointing, but we all knew it was going to come deep down now or Game 7. You don't win a series on the back of an AHL netminder in the playoffs.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Given the fact the Avs did not beat the Preds for over 2 seasons I am ecstatic they managed to win 2 of 6 games and stay competitive in all but 1 of them .

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
A congratulations is in order for the Nashville Predators. At times they weren't the better team, especially in games 1 and 2, but they found the ways to make the plays they had to make in order to win.

While I wasn't a fan of some of the stuff through the series, it's absolutely nothing compared to my hatred of the Wild and Red Wings. I still respect the Predators and their team, and Poile for building a team that should advance far in the Playoffs. Their series against the Jets should provide some entertaining hockey.

Proud of the team for what they did, but hopefully Sakic can clearly see what needs to be addressed. The team has some pretty big holes that if he is aggressive in filling them, they should be right back in the playoffs next year, but this time actually doing some damage in them.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The better team won. As for dirtiness and diving, I'd like to sit down the people calling Preds dirty and a bunch of divers in front of a TV and show them clips of Foppa, Footer, Blake, Pepe, Patty, Simon etc doing their thing and hear their take on that. It's playoff hockey, not curling.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The better team won. As for dirtiness and diving, I'd like to sit down the people calling Preds dirty and a bunch of divers in front of a TV and show them clips of Foppa, Footer, Blake, Pepe, Patty, Simon etc doing their thing and hear their take on that. It's playoff hockey, not curling.

Diving is diving. Those were all in the past. Never condoned it then, won't condone it now. My team or not. I'm living in the present and would like anyone to find one instance where one of our players embellished on a hit this series. We were also getting the brunt of all the big hits all series too if you exclude Z and the occasional Landy or Bork hit.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Diving is diving. Those were all in the past. Never condoned it then, won't condone it now. My team or not. I'm living in the present and would like anyone to find one instance where one of our players embellished on a hit this series. We were also getting the brunt of all the big hits all series too if you exclude Z and the occasional Landy or Bork hit.
Because apart from those guys we have no one to set the tone that way. And the Preds have plenty of physical players. I see nothing wrong in hard-hitting hockey. As for diving, I haven't seen anything egregious that would make me think they were milking it to extremes.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Because apart from those guys we have no one to set the tone that way. And the Preds have plenty of physical players. I see nothing wrong in hard-hitting hockey. As for diving, I haven't seen anything egregious that would make me think they were milking it to extremes.

No no, I wasn't saying anything was wrong with hard hitting hockey. My point was that if Nashville was getting the beating they were giving out, we would have seen the greatest swan dives and head snaps the playoffs have to offer. I guess we'll see what happens when they play a bigger, hard hitting team like the Jets.

We had every reason to dive around but didn't is what I was getting at.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Great season. Will probably take a break from HF till around draft time, too. Nothing much to talk about except injuries and Barrie and all the Barrie talk is definitely a dead horse to me.

Been a pleasure shooting the hockey breeze with you folks. Till next time!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m sorry guys, I got a # on my flight, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to show the boys how to score this time...

I’m so f***ing proud of this team and the season they had. It’s still surreal but we’re ina new era. Foppa n Joe aren’t back on the ice for us, but we have one of the best players on the planet again, we have one of the best lines in the sport, a legit top 4 on D, and a lot more kids are still making their way!

If JT doesn’t sign with us, one of you Edmonton boys is gunna have to take one for the team and bang Nurse’s girl while wearing a Drae mask...

Reactions: 2bowhunt

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
EJ is injury prone. Part may be bad luck and part is how he plays. He has played 76% of regular season games since joining the Avs. He misses 20 games a year on average. Varlamov is also injury prone.

It's idiotic to ask the players if they are injury prone. It's shows a complete lack of class and timing to do it right after the team got knocked out of the playoffs.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Apparently JJ is just being an idiot. Z, Barrie, and Siemens sped through the handshake line and went down the tunnel.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I hope this isn’t true.
Yeah untrue, the video looks like zadorov, nemeth and barrie were just standing there while everyone shook hands but if you watch the sportsnet video you can see zadorov and barrie were the first two shaking hands with the preds, you also saw #12 which is nemeth at some point too.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Speaking of Zadorov, I've questioned his potential plenty of times but I liked what I saw in this series. He still had his mistakes and some that I don't like seeing from someone a few years in but overall he made me more of a believer in him. He had to play a lot of tough minutes with a struggling partner and he showed pretty well, even though the advanced stats may not have been in his favour.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Not even close to what the Preds did, and Forsberg embellished because he got hooked, held, and slashed all night. In the height of the clutch and grab era, he was probably the most clutched and grabbed in all of hockey. It was the only way he'd get calls. Same can't be said for the Preds who flung their heads back and flopped to the ice every other shift, even if they're winning 4-0 or 5-0. I don't think I've ever seen an entire team embellish that much in all my years around hockey. I think it's a deliberate attempt to counter all the penalties they take, knowing they play on the edge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad