GDT: Game 6: Preds @ Avs| 4/22, 5pm MT | It Aint Over Yet

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Speaking of Zadorov, I've questioned his potential plenty of times but I liked what I saw in this series. He still had his mistakes and some that I don't like seeing from someone a few years in but overall he made me more of a believer in him. He had to play a lot of tough minutes with a struggling partner and he showed pretty well, even though the advanced stats may not have been in his favour.
In my opinion, without him the Avs get totally bullied in the series. No one on the back end hits except him. He put Watson on his ass, he put Ellis on his ass, Forsberg tried walking him and he stapled him to the boards. He smoked Fiala, Arvidsson, and probably another 3 or 4 guys on the Preds. It was starting to look like after his goal was waived off that he was just going to start hogging the puck up the ice and get something going too. 32 PIMs, 28 hits, 3 points, +1 in 6 games.

Him and Girard are the two players I'm the most excited to see next season. I think we all know what we have in Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Kerfoot, Compher, EJ, Varly, etc, but those two defencemen seem like they could still reach another level.

My expectation for Zadorov next season would be 10 goals, lead the league in hits, and average 23 minutes a night.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
So who wants to create a Joe Colborne appreciation thread?

giphy.gif

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
The better team won. As for dirtiness and diving, I'd like to sit down the people calling Preds dirty and a bunch of divers in front of a TV and show them clips of Foppa, Footer, Blake, Pepe, Patty, Simon etc doing their thing and hear their take on that. It's playoff hockey, not curling.

The better team on paper won, IMO. For the most part, especially in the earlier games, the Avs beat themselves more than Nashville beat them. We gave up a lot odd-man rushes that turned into goals against because Bernier was hot garbage. With EJ and Varly in the lineup, I'm willing to bet this series goes to seven games, and that we might've actually pulled the upset. Last night was really the only game where I felt the real Nashville team showed up.

Reactions: MacBradley

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
Speaking of Zadorov, I've questioned his potential plenty of times but I liked what I saw in this series. He still had his mistakes and some that I don't like seeing from someone a few years in but overall he made me more of a believer in him. He had to play a lot of tough minutes with a struggling partner and he showed pretty well, even though the advanced stats may not have been in his favour.
Aye, I'm eating crow, too. I was of the opinion that Zadorov would top out as a #4 at best but he made strides I didn't expect him to this season. Not gonna go overboard and call him a potential #1 now but it's reasonable to think that he'll be able to anchor a 2nd pairing for the next 10 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In my opinion, without him the Avs get totally bullied in the series. No one on the back end hits except him. He put Watson on his ass, he put Ellis on his ass, Forsberg tried walking him and he stapled him to the boards. He smoked Fiala, Arvidsson, and probably another 3 or 4 guys on the Preds. It was starting to look like after his goal was waived off that he was just going to start hogging the puck up the ice and get something going too. 32 PIMs, 28 hits, 3 points, +1 in 6 games.

Him and Girard are the two players I'm the most excited to see next season. I think we all know what we have in Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Kerfoot, Compher, EJ, Varly, etc, but those two defencemen seem like they could still reach another level.

My expectation for Zadorov next season would be 10 goals, lead the league in hits, and average 23 minutes a night.

Add Jost and that's the trio I'm most confident in being even bigger difference makers for us next year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Aye, I'm eating crow, too. I was of the opinion that Zadorov would top out as a #4 at best but he made strides I didn't expect him to this season. Not gonna go overboard and call him a potential #1 now but it's reasonable to think that he'll be able to anchor a 2nd pairing for the next 10 years.

What's overboard about calling him a potential #1? He can be a force in his own zone who changes the way opponents play when he's on the ice. He can drive the puck up ice; and he has the skills n creativity to create offense. All while eating massive minutes against tough competition. If he can continually become more consistent, while minimizing the moments where he zones out, what's stopping him from becoming russian Buff?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'm torn on whether Zadorov ever gets to the level EJ has reached. He definitely has the potential to become as good defensively, but I don't know if he will ever involve himself enough offensively to get around 40 points. Zadorov is definitely a better passer than Johnson, and has shown he has a shot that can score, but there is just something that is missing from his game in the offensive zone.

If he does though, he will be much more valuable than EJ strictly due to the fact that he is mean. It's every scout/coach/GM's dream to have that defenceman that is 6'5, mean, and can play the game at a high level.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm torn on whether Zadorov ever gets to the level EJ has reached. He definitely has the potential to become as good defensively, but I don't know if he will ever involve himself enough offensively to get around 40 points. Zadorov is definitely a better passer than Johnson, and has shown he has a shot that can score, but there is just something that is missing from his game in the offensive zone.

If he does though, he will be much more valuable than EJ strictly due to the fact that he is mean. It's every scout/coach/GM's dream to have that defenceman that is 6'5, mean, and can play the game at a high level.

Go back and watch some of early Zads, from his junior days or even with the rampage. He had a swagger with the puck that we haven't seen much of the past two years; but that I'm optimistic he could re-introduce to his game as he continues to become more confident & dominant in his own zone at the NHL level.

When the Sabres drafted him I actually thought he had more offensive potential than EJ because of that creativity n swagger, his better passing, and that cannon he can uncork.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Go back and watch some of early Zads, from his junior days or even with the rampage. He had a swagger with the puck that we haven't seen much of the past two years; but that I'm optimistic he could re-introduce to his game as he continues to become more confident & dominant in his own zone at the NHL level.

When the Sabres drafted him I actually thought he had more offensive potential than EJ because of that creativity n swagger, his better passing, and that cannon he can uncork.

I've thought he had a lot more offense and puck skills to offer as well. Unfortunately, I think they've let his puck skills and offensive development stagnate a bit too much by tasking him with mostly defensive roles in his NHL career. There's probably a little room for growth, but 25-30 points might be his peak. Hopefully I'm wrong and he continues to improve offensviely the way he did this year.

Some PP time would help obviously, but that might be hard to come by past next year with EJ and Girard, plus Makar and Timmins possibly in the lineup. Barrie might still be on the team as well, we don't know.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've thought he had a lot more offense and puck skills to offer as well. Unfortunately, I think they've let his puck skills and offensive development stagnate a bit too much by tasking him with mostly defensive roles in his NHL career. There's probably a little room for growth, but 25-30 points might be his peak. Hopefully I'm wrong and he continues to improve offensviely the way he did this year.

I'm definitely of the mind that he has more offensive potential. However opportunity will not be there. Barrie, Girard, Makar, and Timmins.. All probably slot in on the power play ahead of him in the future.

I can see him pretty much matching EJ though. We've already seen some of the end to end rushes, and he'll be playing enough minutes to get that high.

That is unless something turns where we start running two defenders on both units. I could see one unit running two, but not both.

Who knows though, all it takes is a chance and an opportunity taken.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I don't think Zads will ever get the PP time to post a 50 point season with us unless we go to 2 dmen on that second unit and he lights it up there too much to take off the PP...or we just get decimated by injuries.

But he has it in him to put up ~40 points with minimal PP time, a la EJ.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The better team on paper won, IMO. For the most part, especially in the earlier games, the Avs beat themselves more than Nashville beat them. We gave up a lot odd-man rushes that turned into goals against because Bernier was hot garbage. With EJ and Varly in the lineup, I'm willing to bet this series goes to seven games, and that we might've actually pulled the upset. Last night was really the only game where I felt the real Nashville team showed up.
It probably says a lot about Nashville that they beat us in 6 games and only managed to get 1 goal out of their defense, and nothing from the Turris line (RyJo and Arvidsson didn’t produce much either). I feel like the Avs pretty much played at their max all series and still managed to lose in 6. They played a lot better than I thought they would.

Reactions: McMetal

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
EJ was pretty damned skilled though. He doesn't have the offensive IQ but I remember more than a few times where he looked like a heavier and stronger Drew Doughty rushing the puck up and deking guys out. Zad does rush the puck up from time to time but I'm always scared becuase it looks like he could lose the puck any moment

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
EJ was pretty damned skilled though. He doesn't have the offensive IQ but I remember more than a few times where he looked like a heavier and stronger Drew Doughty rushing the puck up and deking guys out. Zad does rush the puck up from time to time but I'm always scared becuase it looks like he could lose the puck any moment

I never really feel that way when the Peacock is flying, even when he forgets to bring the puck with him and leaves it for the opposition to get an odd-man rush the other way lol.

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
What's overboard about calling him a potential #1? He can be a force in his own zone who changes the way opponents play when he's on the ice. He can drive the puck up ice; and he has the skills n creativity to create offense. All while eating massive minutes against tough competition. If he can continually become more consistent, while minimizing the moments where he zones out, what's stopping him from becoming russian Buff?
The main reason I don't ever see Zadorov becoming a #1 is his lack of control of the game offensively. I don't think that Buff has ever been a #1 for the same reason, either. Admittedly, Zadorov is is still crazy young for a NHL defender so who knows how he'll develop, however, nothing that he has shown so far has been enough proof for me that he has that gamebreaking ability of controlling the flow and pace of the game.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The main reason I don't ever see Zadorov becoming a #1 is his lack of control of the game offensively. I don't think that Buff has ever been a #1 for the same reason, either. Admittedly, Zadorov is is still crazy young for a NHL defender so who knows how he'll develop, however, nothing that he has shown so far has been enough proof for me that he has that gamebreaking ability of controlling the flow and pace of the game.

Maybe it's cause I saw it at lower levels, but I think we've seen glimpses in the NHL as well. And since he's so young...and since I saw more of it this year as he grew more confident...I'm optimistic that he can still bring that part of his game to the NHL as well. Which is why I think the potential is definitely there, even if it doesn't ever truly manifest.

Though I do disagree with you on Buff, so that could be were we disagree

Reactions: Oxymoron

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think his puck carrying and passing would benefit a lot from using a shorter stick. Unfortunately, it would take away from his defense where he utilizes his long reach pretty well at times. Not sure if it's worth it or not since he'll likely have a pretty heavy defensive role in his career. Hard to tell.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I have to say the preds showed a champions resiliency. They could've sulked and succumbed to the pressure after choking away game 5 but they came out with a master class performance. I tip my hat to Lavio the dude is a gamer. Total boss. After Babs I'd take him over anyone.

Also Josi what a f***ing player. He was a frigen beast all series and especially game 5. He's so underrated. Hope the preds take it. That organization is top notch and do everything right. They should be rewarded. Maybe, Winnie too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have to say the preds showed a champions resiliency. They could've sulked and succumbed to the pressure after choking away game 5 but they came out with a master class performance. I tip my hat to Lavio the dude is a gamer. Total boss. After Babs I'd take him over anyone.

Also Josi what a ****ing player. He was a frigen beast all series and especially game 5. He's so underrated. Hope the preds take it. That organization is top notch and do everything right. They should be rewarded. Maybe, Winnie too.

I'm rooting for them...but if the Pens winning again convinced Tavares to team up with MacK-daddy I wouldn't be too upset :naughty:

AvsBeacon

Apr 23, 2018
Was at the game. Incredible atmosphere. Avs did very well but are still a long way away from the Cup.
Needs: A shut down D, a goalie that can stay healthy
Wants: A 2nd landeskog-type player that can grind the boards for the 2nd line, some right handed shots.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
It was a great run and a fun season, see you guys around next season. :) Not sure what team(s) I will root for now, probably Toronto and Winnipeg, I like both of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad