GDT: Game 6: Predators @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Really impressed by the team defense - All of the forwards are hustling back and making defensive plays. Watched Keller and Kessel both team up defensively.
Great play by Schmaltz on the goal. Our PP is working all though at times seems really sloppy. DVO with two great snipes!!! He plays such a good all around
game he doesn't get enough credit for his defense.

Imagine how many goals we could have scored if we could score on the breakaway - Only Garland has converted. Multiple misses by Keller, Stepan, Grabner, etc.

We can't afford any more defenseman injuries. Capo has looked pretty good. Very impressed by Demers. He is physical on the other team. Funny how OEL looks
very mediocre and we still look good cause Kemper covers up lots of mistakes.

I really want Hayton back in the lineup. He adds an element of puck handling and passing that we can really use.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I think Hayton isn't a 82 game player at the start of his rookie season and always believed it's how you play at the end of the season. He should focus on his conditioning and ease him in. Keep him fresh, limit his games, and don't limit his 5x5 minutes, in those games, just the special teams situations.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Watched the whole replay now.... i‘am really impressed. This looks like Hockey.
Shots, Defense, Goaltending. We played 5 of 6 last year Playoff teams, so it was not an „easy“ start.
And we talked about patience with Kessel... yeah, he made his Job very well.
Extra Points for Kuemper. What a great Goalie.

Walk on Coyotes, walk on!!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So we've officially started after 6 games over .500.

We're 3-2-1, which means technically we're exactly at .500. /pedant

I shouldn't split hairs, that's the best start we've had in as long as I can remember. And the first time I can recall having a win streak of any kind in early October!

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Hope Oesterlie is ok, after he gets fully checked out.....Lybushkin, come on down.

Kuemper - I can't say enough about how well he is playing. Just eating all the pucks up, and it's taking a quick deflection, screen or perfect shot to beat him.

Really happy to see Kessel get a couple - hes "off the schneid" as sportscasters love to say.

Now....please please PLEASE don't take the Senators lightly next game.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The big difference was goal tending, good to see Phil get a few as well. I thought they took us lightly playing their back up. Overall we outplayed them but we have outplayed other teams and lost. PP will have more confidence now too. Our D has looked good so far without hammer, I'm kind of surprised at that, hope it continues. Dvo/Garland/Schmaltz line has chemistry, its our best line all over the ice right now, great to see.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Since Schmaltz joined the Yotes last year he’s averaging nearly a point per game.
https://twitter.com/pr_nhl/status/1185201443495657473?s=21

Just looking at that chart... Stempniak with 17 G... Man what a run he had that season.

As for the game... Man that was fun to watch again! I'm very happy the Yotes have managed to have a decent start with the schedule they have had. I've been harping on it but it's absolutely necessary. Keep AZ interested! Cause some hype in the valley and good things will happen.

There was some really nice passing last night and some beauty shots. Keep that up for sure! Our defense seems to be really solid at moving the puck up quickly.... helps alleviate the pressure/makes them play defense less.

With games like last night it's hard to say if anyone had a "bad" game.... there were players having good games and others didn't have to do as much because things were going just fine. As stated in the thread already... if Stepan or Keller could finish a breakaway (Grabs too but he's gone through stretches like that before), they'd be raking in the points.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I watched the game on NHL Live last night and you guys definitely look solid out there - sleeper team of the season and very underrated. Like the defensive makeup, and if it weren't for Saros, you guys would have gotten 7 or 8 last night.

Happy to see Phil get on the board with his patented snipes off the rush, but really impressed with Schmaltz's play coming off a knee injury. Everytime he touches the puck, something good happens.

Garland is a good little player too.

You guys may fall under the radar when it comes to publicity, but if you keep playing at this level, that won't last for long!

Good luck the rest of the season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Funny how OEL looks
very mediocre and we still look good cause Kemper covers up lots of mistakes.
Something we need to keep in mind about OEL is that in two games this season (of only six) we’ve had to play with only 5D for 2+ periods. Last night it was like 58mins of 5D.

OEL has ALWAYS been better when his time is managed. He’s not Duncan Keith. He’s not better when he plays 30mins a game. He’s at his best when he’s under 25min. Especially over multiple games. And that’s not a bad thing. There are a lot of top D that require their minutes to be managed properly to maximize their productivity. OEL is one of them.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Funny thing about OEL, he's been kinda meh offensively so far but I think his performance defensively while not perfect is WELL ahead of where he's usually at this time of year. He usually starts off looking like the bad version of Goligoski defensively.

I much prefer steadyish OEL to that version even if we're sacrificing a little offense. I think the best version of OEL we've ever seen was the all situations guy in the 2 years immediately after the playoff run. The 20 goal sniper version was good too but I'd rather have the more reliable guy particularly as we improve our forward group.

OEL has ALWAYS been better when his time is managed. He’s not Duncan Keith. He’s not better when he plays 30mins a game.

Agree completely.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL still pulls a Karlsson from time to time and doesn't cover his man, the pass, or attempt to deflect the shot even though he is in position to do one or all of those things. The Preds 1st goal last night was a good example. Demers has easily outplayed him this year in the D zone. Demers is actually playing like the 2/3 every team wanted him to be.

ZHeCBCL.jpg

OEL arrived early and then did... nothing. Just standing there and letting someone take a shot 6 ft out unopposed is not an NHL play. At least Chych is covering the back door pass to the other Predator out of frame.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
OEL has that skill set that's perfect for today's NHL.

but he's no Pietrangelo. Now that guy is a BEAST and probably the best D in hockey.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Did McConnell say tomorrow's game is sold-out?

Late afternoon vs Ottawa would be quite an accomplishment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad