GDT: Game 6 | Pittsburgh @ Columbus | 7 PM EST | Big Brother Returns

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The conventional wisdom is you build from the back, out. We're doing exactly the opposite. The conventional wisdom is on offense, you build a strong spine first, then bring in the wingers. We're doing exactly the opposite. How's that working out for us?

Probably pretty good. It's a longer project and I don't expect them to win the cup this year. The defense is mediocre at best, but the ages of the key D are around 20. Defenseman are peaking at like 28. The defensive issue today is a valued asset in 2 years when Mateychuck and Jiricek are ready and bean, peeke, boqvist are grown up. It is a weakness now, it's gonna be the trade pool to get that G or the C depth.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If they are gradually rebuilding (and I believe they are) then they should have room in the cap to grow but don't. They quite often are overspending on low quality players. Jarmo isn't doing a good job of evaluating talent and making reasonable financial decisions.
Gaudreau - $9,750,000 (29)
Werenski - $9,583,333 (25)
Laine - $8,700,000 (24)

Voráček - $8,250,000 (32) to 2024/25
Nyquist - $5,500,000 (32) to 2023/24
So the first three would have similar salary in other teams too. Nobody wait Gaudreau sign here and we needed a playmaker in the last season. Nyquist's contract finish after this season.
I don't like Elvis' contract. And doubt he would be traded.
Btw, don't forget we have much cap space before Gaudreau and Gudbranson agreements.

The conventional wisdom is you build from the back, out. We're doing exactly the opposite. The conventional wisdom is on offense, you build a strong spine first, then bring in the wingers. We're doing exactly the opposite. How's that working out for us?
And who will trade the quality centers? Only to draft them, which is what happened. Something similar applies to the d-men.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Boqvist has to be in next game right? I dont even think he played poorly enough to come out in the 1st place.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I came into the season willing to give Gudbranson the benefit of the doubt. Tonight he eliminated all doubt. This team is short at least three legitimate NHL defensemen.

I also held a balloon full of optimism that Merzlikins could refind his groove and turn into a reliable NHL starter. That balloon is now less than half full and deflating fast. (Jonas Korpisalo please call home - you're due for one more audition before we give the starting job to Tarasov.)

Johnson on the half-wall on the powerplay is going to be amazing. Chinakhov keeps looking like he's one good shift away from levelling up.

I know those guys in the black shirts are good, and it's still early in the season. But that collapse was embarrassing. A team being consistently erratic makes me nervous about the coaching staff.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Boqvist has to be in next game right? I dont even think he played poorly enough to come out in the 1st place.
Who comes out though? Won’t be Blanks. Won’t be Gud.

Has to be either Bean or Peeke. Right ?

And with Danforth being injured you’d have to think Foudy goes in and we bring someone up from Cleveland if it’s longer term.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
And who will trade the quality centers? Only to draft them, which is what happened. Something similar applies to the d-men.
I dont think anyone will. It really highlights our inability to develop centers we've acquired through the draft.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
In this case either Blankenburg or Peeke out. He can't play on the left side and even if yes, Bean played good, Gavrikov will never be HS.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I dont think anyone will. It really highlights our inability to develop centers we've acquired through the draft.
We drafted Dubois, Sillinger and Johnson (don't count the last draft). Dubois played very good, Sillinger is 19 years, Johnson is 20 years. Btw, Johnson has already showed he can be a very good center, still return him there. If Roslovic, he was never 1C. Maximum 2C. So I doubt we can say about inability to develop centers.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
How often do they draft true centers though? Dubois was a bit of a project as a center and worked out well until the fallout. Sillinger has his ups and downs but as a teenager is expected, have a lot of faith in him being a top 6 guy someday. Johnson is kind of like Dubois as a project center but in the time he got there he looked the part.

Going back a bit, Wennberg looked good until Wilson tried to take his head off.

I think all thats been highlighted is how rarely they draft centers with their top picks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One more thing. We haven't scored a single power play goal this season? Dead last in the league.

If you blink, you wouldn't have noticed that we even had any powerplays.

Who comes out though? Won’t be Blanks. Won’t be Gud.

Has to be either Bean or Peeke. Right ?

And with Danforth being injured you’d have to think Foudy goes in and we bring someone up from Cleveland if it’s longer term.

Maybe they try rotating Boqvist with Bean?

I think they might actually try scratching Gudbranson before they would consider scratching Peeke.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If you blink, you wouldn't have noticed that we even had any powerplays.

Maybe they try rotating Boqvist with Bean?

I think they might actually try scratching Gudbranson before they would consider scratching Peeke.
Bean was our best d-man. Not Werenski, not your favourite Gavrikov, but Jake. He could play under pressure.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Gaudreau-Jenner-Nyquist
Chinakhov-Roslovic-Voracek
Foudy-Sillinger-Johnson
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier

Werenski-Blankenburg
Gavrikov-Peeke
Boqvist-Gudbranson

Tarasov

Is my lineup guess tomorrow. Gives Larsen the opportunity to bench the entire third line like he likes to do.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Gaudreau-Jenner-Nyquist
Chinakhov-Roslovic-Voracek
Foudy-Sillinger-Johnson
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier

Werenski-Blankenburg
Gavrikov-Peeke
Boqvist-Gudbranson

Tarasov

Is my lineup guess tomorrow. Gives Larsen the opportunity to bench the entire third line like he likes to do.
Johnson-Roslovic is working strangely well, I doubt that changes. That 3rd line basically neuters Johnson unless Sillinger figures things out right away.
Johnson also played 17 minutes tonight. Larsen is starting to smarten up there.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Johnson-Roslovic is working strangely well, I doubt that changes. That 3rd line basically neuters Johnson unless Sillinger figures things out right away.
Fair. I’m fine with swapping Chinakhov and KJ.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm trying to find a way to keep Johnson and Roslovic together while sending Sillinger down in exchange for Marchenko.

Roslovic - Johnson - Marchenko would be fun.

But if Danforth is out we wouldn't have enough centers to send Silly down and put Ros on Johnson's wing.

Reactions: MAHJ71

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Fair. I’m fine with swapping Chinakhov and KJ.
I posted it somewhere else but I wouldnt mind a Johnson-Roslovic-Chinakhov line. Give them a shooting threat. I feel like Voracek is kind of the odd one on that line currently as there is too much playmaking and not enough finish.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm trying to find a way to keep Johnson and Roslovic together while sending Sillinger down in exchange for Marchenko.

Roslovic - Johnson - Marchenko would be fun.

But if Danforth is out we wouldn't have enough centers to send Silly down and put Ros on Johnson's wing.
I feel like if Johnson goes to the center position he should be with Gaudreau. That said, Im guessing Larsen feels Jenner has to be attached to Gaudreau like Atkinson had to be attached to Panarin for Torts.
Its weird how things work out. A year ago Voracek was exactly what the team needed but all of a sudden with the addition of Gaudreau and Johnson a guy like Atkinson could thrive here again.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like if Johnson goes to the center position he should be with Gaudreau. That said, Im guessing Larsen feels Jenner has to be attached to Gaudreau like Atkinson had to be attached to Panarin for Torts.
Its weird how things work out. A year ago Voracek was exactly what the team needed but all of a sudden with the addition of Gaudreau and Johnson a guy like Atkinson could thrive here again.

Marchenko is a very skilled finisher and just wait until Chinakhov starts going off.

We have a lot of potential in our forward group and I think things will really start rolling if Laine is in the lineup and once Johnson is settled in at center.

Reactions: LJ7

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Marchenko is a very skilled finisher and just wait until Chinakhov starts going off.

We have a lot of potential in our forward group and I think things will really start rolling if Laine is in the lineup and once Johnson is settled in at center.
Which is why in other posts I suggest Johnson-Roslovic-Chinakhov. I think having Voracek there is too much playmaking and too little finish.
Just in the case of Johnson as a center I want him with Gaudreau, I think its too good of an option to pass up.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad