GDT: Game 6 | Pittsburgh @ Columbus | 7 PM EST | Big Brother Returns

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It does leave you wondering what he means by “we got distracted”.
Even just at :18-:20 seconds in is interesting.

“We’ve got some” -pause- “There’s some things” and “Its unfortunate”

Seemingly referencing something about losing the lead, then goes on a mini “rant” about “gathering yourself”, as the game is still tied 3-3.

That said, where does the head coach come into play here, regarding getting the teams mindset right?? Seems something might have happened in between the 2nd and 3rd period??

The only thing I can possibly think about regarding the “distraction” comments, other than some actual issue regarding the team, is possibly some issues regarding the refereeing and/or some “borderline” too many men calls. That COULD answer why he didn’t go into any more detail, but, imo that’s very doubtful as I believe he would have been a bit more open on the “subject”.

(2:25) is noteworthy, imo.

“It’s a sour taste right now because of”

“some things”

HUH!?!

Reactions: MAHJ71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Seemingly referencing something about losing the lead, then goes on a mini “rant” about “gathering yourself”, as the game is still tied 3-3.

That said, where does the head coach come into play here, regarding getting the teams mindset right?? Seems something might have happened in between the 2nd and 3rd period??

The only thing I can possibly think about regarding the “distraction” comments, other than some actual issue regarding the team, is possibly some issues regarding the refereeing and/or some “borderline” too many men calls. That COULD answer why he didn’t go into any more detail, but, imo that’s very doubtful as I believe he would have been a bit more open on the “subject”.

“some things”

HUH!?!
I took those things to mean “things” in how we’re playing. To say something’s happened that shouldn’t have. But he left it all open to interpretation so that’s what we’re gonna do.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
While Larsen may be a bit “better” than Torts at calling guys out individually by name, he doesn’t seem against breaking down the individual plays.

He seems to be hinting at (possibly unconsciously) and yet holding back on something. Seems to be more than just “on ice breakdowns”.

All I’ll say is i’d categorize his “answer” on the goaltending as interesting. As if the goalie is separate from the team.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I took those things to mean “things” in how we’re playing. To say something’s happened that shouldn’t have. But he left it all open to interpretation so that’s what we’re gonna do.
Maybe it is just about poor defensive play and missed coverage, and I’m no body language expert, it just seems he’s giving out some audible/visible “cues” and being unnecessarily overly selective with some of his wording and overly secretive with what the “issues” are, if they were simply related to gameplay.

Imo

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
All I can say is I am done with going to Pens games at Nationwide. It's no fun. I can even handle the beatings but I cannot handle feeling like I am in another team's building. I will still go to games at NWA...just not Pens games.

Penguins fans will continue to over-populate NWA as long as we continue to lose to them in dramatic and spectacular fashion. If the CBJ ever finally get over the Penguins curse and the SRO Penguins fan base begins to trickle, I will return. Until then I will have to watch those games in misery on TV.

BTW, I am not bashing Pens fans. Fanbases of very successful teams are usually obnoxious. Patriots, Yankees, Buckeyes...remember Hawks and Wings fans when their teams were on top?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
With all that said, I’ve expressed in the past that I thought Larsen was probably much closer to Torts than a lot of other people probably wanted.

I’ve also expressed that I don’t think Larsen is “allowed” to fully be himself regarding how he would like to handle the team, due to all types of “conscious” and “unconscious” reasons, regarding the current roster and working behind and seeing how Torts’ tenure as CBJ coach ended.

Why did Torts want to “retire” from the CBJ and not the NHL??

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don’t think you need someone like Olivier vs the Rangers. Sure they got “tougher” but they still aren’t that scary.

Good game for Marchenko/Bemstrom to draw in, and then have Foudy on the 4th line for Olivier.

Realistically Larsen probably puts a plug in Danforth’s spot.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
He’s hinting at some sort of issue seemingly within the “locker room” or on the bench during the game.

IMO

Maybe it is just about poor defensive play and missed coverage, and I’m no body language expert, it just seems he’s giving out some audible/visible “cues” and being unnecessarily overly selective with some of his wording and overly secretive with what the “issues” are, if they were simply related to gameplay.

Imo
Agreed. The way he mentioned it immediately caught my attention. Not just you on this one Bus :laugh:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

“some things”

HUH!?!
You are far more curious than me 😂those answers didn't leave me wanting to dig for more honestly - I just interpreted it as him trying not to rag on the team too badly when they're at such a low point.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
All I can say is I am done with going to Pens games at Nationwide. It's no fun. I can even handle the beatings but I cannot handle feeling like I am in another team's building. I will still go to games at NWA...just not Pens games.

Penguins fans will continue to over-populate NWA as long as we continue to lose to them in dramatic and spectacular fashion. If the CBJ ever finally get over the Penguins curse and the SRO Penguins fan base begins to trickle, I will return. Until then I will have to watch those games in misery on TV.

BTW, I am not bashing Pens fans. Fanbases of very successful teams are usually obnoxious. Patriots, Yankees, Buckeyes...remember Hawks and Wings fans when their teams were on top?
I was at last nights game and just hate to see Pens fans try to start chants. BTW really mortifying when part of the season tickets holders around me are CBJ fans but wear and root for Pittsburgh on this day. The guy next to me grew up in Dublin and roots for Pittsburg today but wears a Laine jersey on every game game but this one - he wears a Malkin???

I agree my last Pittsburgh game because the people around me were very obnoxious.

• Wow
Reactions: MAHJ71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t think you need someone like Olivier vs the Rangers. Sure they got “tougher” but they still aren’t that scary.

Good game for Marchenko/Bemstrom to draw in, and then have Foudy on the 4th line for Olivier.

Realistically Larsen probably puts a plug in Danforth’s spot.

Olivier just played his best game. About 2/3 in the xG% and you remember that spin pass to Danforth?

If we don't need to be as tough here, then we should be encouraging the coach to scratch Gudbranson for Boqvist.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I did not see the game last night but my initial guess would be the lack of mental maturity this team shows. When something goes wrong, they tend to really go wrong and they don't seem mature enough to gather themselves to prevent 1 goal from becoming 2 or 3 goals. That was a problem last year too.

While Larsen may be a bit “better” than Torts at calling guys out individually by name, he doesn’t seem against breaking down the individual plays.

He seems to be hinting at (possibly unconsciously) and yet holding back on something. Seems to be more than just “on ice breakdowns”.

All I’ll say is i’d categorize his “answer” on the goaltending as interesting. As if the goalie is separate from the team.
The "I'm not going to talk about goaltending" quote was straight out of the Torts playbook.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

Made this same decision a long time ago

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
supposedly because he thought he was losing the room

Item #2: Tortorella nearly quit after 2019-20

Tortorella informed the Blue Jackets in late April that he was ready to move on from the organization after six seasons behind the bench. It became official, announced as a mutual parting of ways, last Monday.

The Athletic confirmed this week, however, that Tortorella tried to step down last offseason after the Blue Jackets were bounced from the bubble in Toronto following a qualifying-round win over Toronto and a first-round playoff loss to Tampa Bay. The veteran coach was reading the room and reading the tea leaves, realizing the direction of the club was heading was nothing close to what he thought they were building just two years earlier.

Two issues brought Tortorella back behind the bench for the final year of his contract, however.

• The Blue Jackets wouldn’t fire him, which is to say they weren’t going to pay him the $2.5 million (per his contract) if he wasn’t coaching. They’d find other work for him to do within the organization for the final year, but at a lesser rate than $2.5 million. Well, the coach is a coach; that’s what he does. The coach is also human, so the money was important.
  • Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno had lunch with Tortorella, during which he urged the coach to return for one last season to “finish what we started” after four straight playoff berths with the same cluster of veteran players. Tortorella may have a flammable temper, but he’s an old softy for personal appeals, and Foligno’s pitch worked.
It’s only fair to wonder how many regrets there were throughout this season, which was an awful one for the Blue Jackets.

Tortorella is looking for his next coaching job, GM Jarmo Kekalainen is looking for a new coach, and Foligno is in Toronto, getting ready to play for the Maple Leafs in the postseason.

Reactions: LJ7

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
With all that said, I’ve expressed in the past that I thought Larsen was probably much closer to Torts than a lot of other people probably wanted.

I’ve also expressed that I don’t think Larsen is “allowed” to fully be himself regarding how he would like to handle the team, due to all types of “conscious” and “unconscious” reasons, regarding the current roster and working behind and seeing how Torts’ tenure as CBJ coach ended.

Because the writing was on the wall .. Roster being built didn’t remotely match Torts skill set of players he can coach .. not to mention his act wears thin . I think your reaching on Larsen.. but please expand your thoughts ? You think JD / Jarmo are meddling ?

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
To be honest the biggest let down was Elvis last night. Not that this team played stellar in front of him but he was out of position on at least 2 of the goals. I am not one for blaming the goalie but first star was Elvis last night for Team let downs.

Reactions: rylt and majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad