GDT: Game 6 | Leafs @ Sens | Stay safe | GAME POSTPONED

Status
Not open for further replies.

heat89

May 6, 2009
You know. I'm actually a believer that provided people and participants (since it seems the Leafs may be that the Chateau Laurier) can safely get to the event, it should go on as planned - otherwise we are letting the terror aspect of the day win.

Obviously you are entitled to your beliefs but let's put our childish egos away. Nobody 'wins' in this situation, the safety of everyone is much more important than thumping our chests and showing the rest of the world how tough we are. As someone who is supposed to be attending tonight's game, I fully expect and hope this game gets cancelled.

Even if there are no other threats, I don't feel right cheering for anything given today's events and that someone is in the hospital and seriously injured because of it.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I didn't give an opinion guyzeur. I just said they are different situations, and they are. And I'm in Law, I know full well how to punish people the proper way ;) Just trying to stay objective.

IIRC the bombers weren't caught in Boston, and bombs are a very delicate situation. Who knows if there were others planted elsewhere?

In today's case we have terrorists that were caught, and with guns, not bombs. More containable, and has apparently already been contained for the most part.

Yeah, I guess if you ignore that they actually have not been caught. One was killed, two are at large.

There is also a different scope. In Boston I believe there were two brothers involved. This involves three individuals who may or may not be related, suggesting a larger scope.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You're just proving more and more how different the situations are.

Like I said, I never gave an opinion. Just stating facts.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Obviously you are entitled to your beliefs but let's put our childish egos away. Nobody 'wins' in this situation, the safety of everyone is much more important than thumping our chests and showing the rest of the world how tough we are. As someone who is supposed to be attending tonight's game, I fully expect and hope this game gets cancelled.

Even if there are no other threats, I don't feel right cheering for anything given today's events and that someone is in the hospital and seriously injured because of it.

Yeah I fully expect it to be cancelled - and won't mind. But if it goes on, it helps to inform people that the situation has returned to normal and I'd be happy to see that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If the Leafs are at the Westin, then there's no way those guys will be in the right place mentally (or physically) to even play safely. Their heads wouldn't be in the game at all after this.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
You're just proving more and more how different the situations are.

Like I said, I never gave an opinion. Just stating facts.

The discussion was about cancelling the game. The argument was made that the game was cancelled, like it was in Boston. You originally pointed out that 1) this
different, and 2) a main part of the difference is that bombs could have been hidden in other places in Boston therefore making the situation more difficult to contain. I then pointed out that we are experiencing an event with a different scope than Boston, and considering the number of people involved (i.e. we cannot assume we have this contained at the point these three individuals are neutralized). Therefore the two situations, although different, are both difficult to adequately contain in the span of a couple of hours leading up to game time.

Does that quick summary make it easier to get the argument?

SensAreSoClose

Apr 5, 2014
If it's not cancelled I am there with a megaphone tonight signing O'Canada. Outside of the obvious reasons why this game is probably going to be cancelled I hope it isn't. No one is going to take away my Canada from me.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Scary stuff to say the least. I hope everyone in Ottawa can remain safe. The fact that this situation hasn't been resolved completely only can lead me to believe that the game will be postponed. Definitely much different than the Boston bombings but still a tragic situation in close proximity to the game.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm surprised there isn't a much faster cancellation response in response to events like this.

There's a very small chance anything can spillover to CTC but in the event something did, potential for catastrophe is huge and optics are horrible. And I agree, you have to be sensitive to leafs downtown and that many fans will be offended/not show up.

Whether you can get away wth having the game isn't the issue, the only way to diffuse the situation and not look terrible is to move the game.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
I'm surprised there isn't a much faster cancellation response in response to events like this.

There's a very small chance anything can spillover to CTC but in the event something did, potential for catastrophe is huge and optics are horrible. And I agree, you have to be sensitive to leafs downtown and that many fans will be offended/not show up.

Whether you can get away wth having the game isn't the issue, the only way to diffuse the situation and not look terrible is to move the game.

I'm pretty sure this is just a protocol thing where they are following set procedures. I would be shocked if the NHL was not already in contact with both teams, and a tentative decision has probably already been reached.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think it is in the best interest of the NHL to just cancel this game even if the situation has been resolved and it is safe to go to the game.

Being that some of the Leafs players have actually heard shots fired, i extremely doubt they will be able to focus on hockey at all today. You also got to consider that some fans may just be to scared to even go to the game too.

Just cancel the game and reschedule it for tomorrow or another day.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
How do you know if they aren't more gunners or bombs in Ottawa? You can be sure that the CTC and others major bldgs, malls are all being searched right now.

Should cancel all games till Christmas then. How do you know there are no more gunners laying low in the city?
They'll cancel of course. No one wants to take responsibility.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm pretty sure this is just a protocol thing where they are following set procedures. I would be shocked if the NHL was not already in contact with both teams, and a tentative decision has probably already been reached.

Ya I'm surprised IT takes this long but yes these protocol things do Lways take longer then they should

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
the main reason I think it will be cancelled is because the Leafs are staying at the hotel right in the area. I highly doubt they decide to leave the lockdown that is set to play the game. So I think it'll be postponed but hopefully only till tomorrow night.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I use to live in Ottawa so have a lot of friends there. The idea of the game happening and putting any of them at risk is terrible.

I really hope it's cancelled, unless they are 100% sure the threat is dealt with, which is likely hard since they don't even know how many shooters are on the loose right now.

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
I'm of the opinion that canceling the game is what "they" would want. Obviously, if it's deemed to be unsafe you have to shut it down. But I believe that, if the game is able to be played, we send a message and play the ****ing game.

Again, just my opinion.

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
I think the other thing is they know most people go to the games from the downtown area. Thats the main problem since people will be reluctant bussing down or driving down depending on the situation there and what the police are allowing.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
I'm of the opinion that canceling the game is what "they" would want. Obviously, if it's deemed to be unsafe you have to shut it down. But I believe that, if the game is able to be played, we send a message and play the ****ing game.

Again, just my opinion.

I get that. I personally don't give a **** about what "they" want or don't want out of all of this. To me, the first test is whether the game can be played in a safe environment, where parents are not worried for the safety of their sons and daughters sitting next to them. The second test is whether both teams can reasonably be able to perform in this game. As much as I hate the Leafs, I don't want to see them forced to play after spending the day in lockdown with gunmen roaming around the area of their hotel.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I think it is in the best interest of the NHL to just cancel this game even if the situation has been resolved and it is safe to go to the game.

Being that some of the Leafs players have actually heard shots fired, i extremely doubt they will be able to focus on hockey at all today. You also got to consider that some fans may just be to scared to even go to the game too.

Just cancel the game and reschedule it for tomorrow or another day.

What changes tomorrow?

I think the game should be played, canceling only draws more attention to the subject and that is what people who terrorize ultimately are looking for.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
What changes tomorrow?

I think the game should be played, canceling only draws more attention to the subject and that is what people who terrorize ultimately are looking for.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that the "ignore it and it will go away" approach is better suited for dealing with issues with 2 year olds than with terrorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00