Goal-Day Thread Game 6: Former Blackhawks @ Blackhawks - 5:30 PM - FSAZ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Back it up a few seconds. You see Hammer motion to Gogo to stay on his side. Hammer knew damn well what the Hawks were going to do. AFTER Gogo got sucked in Keller lost his man. IF you only look at the last two or three seconds, you blame Keller, but Gogo's missed assignment let that play develop.

I saw Hammer make the motion.

He could’ve also been telling Goose to take him.

Players to talk to each other on the ice and we don’t have the luxury of knowing that. All we can do is presume what happened.

Gustafsson was trailing the play at the beginning. That’s on the forwards to monitor.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I saw Hammer make the motion.

He could’ve also been telling Goose to take him.

Players to talk to each other on the ice and we don’t have the luxury of knowing that. All we can do is presume what happened.

Gustafsson was trailing the play at the beginning. That’s on the forwards to monitor.
I disagree. Hammer has seen that play before, and he knew exactly what was going to happen. IF Gogo would have let him go, he would have stilled passed to Toews, but Gustafsson would have been covered by Gogo. Keller could have done a better job back checking, but if RT blamed Keller for that goal, then Coyotedroppings was right that the D are told to follow that forward.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I disagree. Hammer has seen that play before, and he knew exactly what was going to happen. IF Gogo would have let him go, he would have stilled passed to Toews, but Gustafsson would have been covered by Gogo. Keller could have done a better job back checking, but if RT blamed Keller for that goal, then Coyotedroppings was right that the D are told to follow that forward.

:facepalm:

Keller blamed himself....

Go back and re-read the post game comments. Keller went to the bench right after the goal and told Tocchet he made a mistake and would get it back.

Now if you want to disagree with Keller then be my guest.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Go back and re-read the post game comments. Keller went to the bench right after the goal and told Tocchet he made a mistake and would get it back.

A forward being asked to rotate over to 'cover' a player with a clear path to the net is poor strategy and was completely unnecessary in that situation. If that's the "system" then the "system" is completely stupid, responsible for buckets of quality chances against.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I know Keller blamed himself. I was just saying, why in the hell did Gogo start to chase his man? He had position on him, and all of a sudden he is chasing him and Gustafsson becomes wide open. Is it the system they want to use? I have noticed Demers and KConn do this also. IF Gogo doesn't chase him, Gustafsson would have not been wide open. I don't know, I'm just confused by this goal.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I know Keller blamed himself. I was just saying, why in the hell did Gogo start to chase his man? He had position on him, and all of a sudden he is chasing him and Gustafsson becomes wide open. Is it the system they want to use? I have noticed Demers and KConn do this also. IF Gogo doesn't chase him, Gustafsson would have not been wide open. I don't know, I'm just confused by this goal.
Because Keller is a young player trying to get better while Demers and Gologoski are two players who are thinking about what club to hit out of the bunker at hole 14

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
A forward being asked to rotate over to 'cover' a player with a clear path to the net is poor strategy and was completely unnecessary in that situation. If that's the "system" then the "system" is completely stupid, responsible for buckets of quality chances against.

And what was Goose supposed to do?

Just let DeBrincat cross in front of the crease uncontestested???

At that point he was the most dangerous threat and Hammer was covering the other Hawk coming up the ice with DeBrincat. That left Goose to prevent a known sniper from getting a point blank shot off in front of the goal. So hell yes he had to chase him across.

Then I supposed Goose was expected to slam on the brakes, turn 180 degreesand get back to cover the pass to the trailer crossing over from behind?? When there are two forwards who are supposed to be back checking them??

:dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: cobra427

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Absolutely. DeBrincat fully intends to draw Goligoski out of position by crossing over towards Toews like that, and he took the bait. And a forward isn't ever 'uncontested' if he has 2 D in front of him that are in practical range to close down.

At that point he was the most dangerous threat and Hammer was covering the other Hawk coming up the ice with DeBrincat. That left Goose to prevent a known sniper from getting a point blank shot off in front of the goal. So hell yes he had to chase him across.

lmao

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Laugh if you want... if Goose lets DeBrincat get a snipe off and scores on that play you’d be blaming him for allowing that too.

Keller can’t do anything wrong. :rolleyes:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Laugh if you want... if Goose lets DeBrincat get a snipe off and scores on that play you’d be blaming him for allowing that too.

Keller can’t do anything wrong. :rolleyes:

I will take a contested shot from the slot, even from a talented player, over an uncontested backdoor play every single time. One is a lot higher percentage than the other. What the Blackhawks did was literally designed to cause rotational confusion and to give the trailer a clear path to the net. If Goligoski just stays put then they have a much better chance of defending and blocking, and it simplifies the job of the forwards significantly. Man coverage is falling out of favor fast with competent teams because NHL D are much better skaters now and routinely activate up into the play as another forward. You can't chase in your own zone.

I noted several times that Keller needs to backcheck harder. He's certainly not in danger of winning the Selke anytime soon. But that shouldn't have been his man in a well coached system. You never willingly give a guy a clear path to the net and just hope the pass never gets made. That's the basis of a 2v1 and why they are such a high percentage play.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Then I supposed Goose was expected to slam on the brakes, turn 180 degreesand get back to cover the pass to the trailer crossing over from behind?? When there are two forwards who are supposed to be back checking them??

:dunno:
That missed assignment is on Keller, pretty clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad