GDT: Game 6: Columbus at San Jose | 10/23 10:30PM EDT

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I know this is just a minor detail, but after watching the last goal again, I have no idea why Hartnell got an assist on the winner. He was the third to last person to touch the puck, should've gone to Foligno. I don't know why I'm making a big deal out of this though. :laugh:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In general I think assists are handed out to generously. I mean a guy makes a pass out of his end; receiving guy skates through the neutral zone, into the offensive zone dekes 3 guys and fires a cross ice pass to the goal scorer, the first guy gets an assist. No way in my mind.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
In general I think assists are handed out to generously. I mean a guy makes a pass out of his end; receiving guy skates through the neutral zone, into the offensive zone dekes 3 guys and fires a cross ice pass to the goal scorer, the first guy gets an assist. No way in my mind.

That's the rule man. You'd prefer it was up to someone to judge assists as though this was figure skating? Confirmation bias against Scott Hartnell's assists, thy name is EspenK!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I know this is just a minor detail, but after watching the last goal again, I have no idea why Hartnell got an assist on the winner. He was the third to last person to touch the puck, should've gone to Foligno. I don't know why I'm making a big deal out of this though. :laugh:

I THINK the shot from the point may have went off Hartnell before Letetsu tipped it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Every NHL fan base has fans like this...read any other team's game day thread..they actually can be quite entertaining when you're not personally emotionally attached....San Jose fans are now ready to blow up the team on their 4-3-1 start and believe that their chance at winning a Stanley Cup team with current roster has passed.

During last season's playoffs, I read the Penguins board GDT almost every game. Outstanding stuff. Probably more wanted the team to lose so that their front office would be cleaned out.

GDT are supposed to go all over the place. You want to fire the coach and waive half the players in the first period after they're out shot by 10 and are down 2-0 and when they come back to win, you love the team's game plan and the roster is definitely going to challenge for the Stanley Cup:laugh:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
That's just because Zaar, Bjork, and Anderson aren't skating with the big club yet;)

broken_record.gif

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It should be abundantly clear by this point that #19 is the best CBJ player AINEC.
Some nights it's him, some nights it's Bob. I would say last season the split was about 60-40, but it is further skewing towards Joey this year (75-25?).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Who would you rather have if starting a team? Bob or Joey. Give me Joey 8 days a week. Although I'm very pleased we have both and don't have to chose.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I should have stated non goalie. Are goalies really hockey players anyway?:laugh:

Bob probably will control the destiny of this year's team as much as or more than #19 will, but that's the case with most NHL teams. You live and die with your goalie, especially come playoff time.

Speaking of Bob, what's he going to command in salary? I would hope that extension talks are well under way. I'd guess that his camp would be starting in the $7-8 million range and want at least 6 years. $50 million or so in total comp.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I should have stated non goalie. Are goalies really hockey players anyway?:laugh:

Bob probably will control the destiny of this year's team as much as or more than #19 will, but that's the case with most NHL teams. You live and die with your goalie, especially come playoff time.

Speaking of Bob, what's he going to command in salary? I would hope that extension talks are well under way. I'd guess that his camp would be starting in the $7-8 million range and want at least 6 years.
Like I said in another thread about Bob, hard to imagine he sniffs $8m unless he really grabs CBJ by the balls and/or wins some more serious hardware.

Lundqvist, the guy who's had an unbelievable amount of 30+ win seasons/is more proven in the playoffs/etc. has a cap hit of 8.5m.. the next closest cap hits are Rinne and Rask at 7m flat.

I could definitely see Bob getting close to or at 7m/year which would be almost 1.5m/yr raise. Hard to see him going above that without another superb year.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm hoping they don't hardline Bobrovsky like they did Johansen (and, if Joey maintains his play the next few seasons, I hope they don't hardline him either).

Bob has demonstrated he's a top-10 goaltender and a very dependable starter. He doesn't have the work ethic or conditioning issues that the FO raised about Johansen. Yes he'll still be an RFA, but he will certainly have very high competing offers from Russia. I don't think he wants to leave the NHL (or Columbus), but I feel he's earned a very nice contract that is in the upper ends of what goalies currently make. We would be paying him for what he's contributed and demonstrated, not paying him based on potential.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I'm hoping they don't hardline Bobrovsky like they did Johansen (and, if Joey maintains his play the next few seasons, I hope they don't hardline him either).

Bob has demonstrated he's a top-10 goaltender and a very dependable starter. He doesn't have the work ethic or conditioning issues that the FO raised about Johansen. Yes he'll still be an RFA, but he will certainly have very high competing offers from Russia. I don't think he wants to leave the NHL (or Columbus), but I feel he's earned a very nice contract that is in the upper ends of what goalies currently make. We would be paying him for what he's contributed and demonstrated, not paying him based on potential.
More proven + no worries about work ethic + Vezina makes this very different from what we saw this summer

The way that Bobrovsky negotiations go now should hopefully be how Johansen's negotiations in 3 years go. Proven, matured, hopefully some hardware.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00