Post-Game Talk: Game 6 | Canucks 2 @ Ducks 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ridiculous. .. there was a significant difference..

6gms, 1 b2b in 10 days vs 6gms in 8 days with 2 b2b.
On game day - 2 days off vs back to back.

Not really ridiculous at all. Travel sucks even if you do it for a career. Starting with 5 games on the road is not easy. A day of travel through 3 time zones and one day truly off is not easy. Every team can play the schedule game at some point. In the end had the team ran out of gas the back half of the game I'd agree but that wasn't really the case. They were outplayed from the opening faceoffs and significantly so. And let's not pretend the Canucks had huge travel either.

I'm not saying they weren't tired or that schedule can't affect things but to use it as an excuse in a game that quite literally has nothing good to take from it is not the way to go. A strong effort but tired team who gives it their all but comes up short sure schedule may play into it. A team that simply didn't show up from top to bottom doesn't get that excuse.

Granlund...I think he had a good start but I think he's coming back down to earth over the last couple of games. Right now his start is a positive blip.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Not really ridiculous at all. Travel sucks even if you do it for a career. Starting with 5 games on the road is not easy. A day of travel through 3 time zones and one day truly off is not easy. Every team can play the schedule game at some point. In the end had the team ran out of gas the back half of the game I'd agree but that wasn't really the case. They were outplayed from the opening faceoffs and significantly so. And let's not pretend the Canucks had huge travel either.

I'm not saying they weren't tired or that schedule can't affect things but to use it as an excuse in a game that quite literally has nothing good to take from it is not the way to go. A strong effort but tired team who gives it their all but comes up short sure schedule may play into it. A team that simply didn't show up from top to bottom doesn't get that excuse.

Granlund...I think he had a good start but I think he's coming back down to earth over the last couple of games. Right now his start is a positive blip.

What's with the hyperbole...

There were a few positives...
Miller was very good and some how had us in a 2-2 game in the 3rd period.
GWer being an unlucky popup..

The team managed to scrap back and tie on 2 occasions..

The Sedins are beginning to show more effectiveness and came up with a (at the time) massive tying g.
Eriksson is contributing pts at least.

Either you're an ultimate pessimist or don't know what literally means.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
pmAFAnH.png

0OB8dww.png

EGir3js.png

Missed it all waiting in a ferry terminal with a dead phone - what's the deal with Horvat's TOI?

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
To put it bluntly, his linemates suck so that line didn't play much.

They badly need a few NHL calibre forwards. I feel for Horvat... He needs help...

Benning needs to look into the mirror after this start... Team is better, and busting its ass and he hasn't done a good enough job to help them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can't believe we cannot even deal with injuries to depth forwards like Burrows and Dorsett. It's not like these guys have serious replacement value here ... they basically have a good game if they hit a guy and don't allow a bunch of shots/goals. If any of our top six goes down it'll be a flaming train wreck. Same with the blue line.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Edler really struggled in this one, that's something this team is going to have a hard time overcoming.

Hutton has been a train wreck in most of the Canuck action I've seen this season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't believe we cannot even deal with injuries to depth forwards like Burrows and Dorsett. It's not like these guys have serious replacement value here ... they basically have a good game if they hit a guy and don't allow a bunch of shots/goals. If any of our top six goes down it'll be a flaming train wreck. Same with the blue line.

Our depth on the wings and on defense is just brutal. Even with everyone healthy.

When we get the inevitable 2-3 injuries to key players, this will get ugly fast.

Again, that we didn't put in a claim on a young winger like Pulkkinen or Andrighetto when they were on waivers is just mind-boggling. Would be willing to bet we end up paying a 2nd or 3rd rounder for an equivalent player when we get a couple injuries and need bodies. Awful planning.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Re-watching those highlights is pretty stomach-churning....easily the worst game for Edler in recent memory....backed in on Miller for the first goal after only 33 seconds; was down on his stomach fishing for pennies on the winning goal; and turnstyled by Perry on the fourth...yikes!....realize that every d-man has a few of those games like that in any career, but when your shutdown d-pairing is that bad in a road-game, you really have no chance.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Edler really struggled in this one, that's something this team is going to have a hard time overcoming.

Hutton has been a train wreck in most of the Canuck action I've seen this season.

Elder is gonna have a rough last 5-6 years here. Wish we could have traded him this past off season. His decline won't be pretty.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Re-watching those highlights is pretty stomach-churning....easily the worst game for Edler in recent memory....backed in on Miller for the first goal after only 33 seconds; was down on his stomach fishing for pennies on the winning goal; and turnstyled by Perry on the fourth...yikes!....realize that every d-man has a few of those games like that in any career, but when your shutdown d-pairing is that bad in a road-game, you really have no chance.
But Sbisa!

:sarcasm:

I wonder if anyone can convince Edler to waive that NTC. Would love to get him off Kits beach and get some assets while he's still worth something.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Our depth on the wings and on defense is just brutal. Even with everyone healthy.

When we get the inevitable 2-3 injuries to key players, this will get ugly fast.

Again, that we didn't put in a claim on a young winger like Pulkkinen or Andrighetto when they were on waivers is just mind-boggling. Would be willing to bet we end up paying a 2nd or 3rd rounder for an equivalent player when we get a couple injuries and need bodies. Awful planning.

Ugh, that's such a nightmare scenario. You'd hope they'd just realize this team can't be fixed with a couple moves involving picks, and just try to actually acquire picks and hope to fix things in the off-season.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
We don't have anyone on the farm either. What a dumpster fire Benning has put together here. Jesus.
Lol it was one loss on back to backs bro... take it easy :laugh:
why don't we just Trade Edler for a 1st or a good prospect!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ugh, that's such a nightmare scenario. You'd hope they'd just realize this team can't be fixed with a couple moves involving picks, and just try to actually acquire picks and hope to fix things in the off-season.

I have little hope of them realizing that.

They've gone all-in on Making The Playoffs this year, and their jobs might be on the line. If this starts to get away from them, I'm expecting some panic moves to happen.

We don't have anyone on the farm either. What a dumpster fire Benning has put together here. Jesus.

It's amazing how completely insipid the Utica roster looks. It's Mike Zalewski, two midget defenders, and a whole bunch of mid-20s journeyman with no NHL potential whatsoever. Megna could probably get by as a callup.

Again, I simply can't understand how - once they they know Rodin was out long-term - they didn't put in a claim on a talented young player to improve winger depth.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
eureka. grab vey, grab clendening, grab prust, grab bartkowski.

There have been a heck of a lot more of them out there besides these known entities over the course of the last 3 seasons.

Vey was signed by Calgary and Clendening is playing for the Rangers. Bartkowski is playing for the AHL Providence Bruins.

I wouldn't even consider Prust. He didn't want to be here last season and found an "injury rehab" way out. He isn't signed anywhere else at the moment either.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol it was one loss on back to backs bro... take it easy :laugh:
why don't we just Trade Edler for a 1st or a good prospect!

But this is the reason why being a Canuck fan these days is a true 'bi-polar' experience....they're 4-1-1, despite having led for only two periods in regulation time...Yet the only way they're going to forced to make the changes they need to make, is if they're languishing way below the playoff bar in March...and if they're a tire-fire again, then guys like Edler-Miller and even Tanev-Sbisa, might be in high-demand.....but then you have to remember what Jimbo did at the trade deadline last year.:help:

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton

Dorsett, Burrows, Skille - Management should have realized these guys were not good enough to begin with.. Coupled with relying on guys like Rodin and Virtanen who have no track record.. That's >FIVE< almost half your forwards your gambling on.. Can probably add Guance to that list..

The defense and goaltending looks sound compared to the mess up front.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Frankly, I was a bit suprised how badly we did this past weekend and I'm sure the players feel the same way.

I'm going to chalk this one up to a brutal starting schedule combined with how the Canucks played their 3rd periods.
  • 6 games in 9 days with the last game being against the biggest team in the league (as of last season) is no easy task.
  • Your Canucks came back in the 3rd to tie the game in the first five games. Coming back from a deficit in the 3rd period takes an extraordinary amount of energy. This is an undisputable fact. Doing it again versus Anaheim and then getting robbed of a loser point by a flukey bat swing of a air puck by Ritchie is called crap luck. That's all that was.

I'm still optimistic about the team.
  • Goaltending, Hansen, Sutter... no worries
  • Sedins, Eriksson, Tanev, Edler, Burr.... are all veterans that have been around the block many many times. They'll be fine.
  • Larsen, Gudbranson, Granlund... very encouraging on all fronts
  • Bae, Bo and Hutton... looks ok so far... should be good by 15-20 game mark
  • Jake... :(... I dunno
  • Dorsett.....
  • Coaching... other than putting Burr in the shootout versus LA, passes with flying colors. Yay for Doug Jarvis!!!!

AvQGhRa.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad