Post-Game Talk: Game 6 | Canucks 2 @ Ducks 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Virtanen at this point is.....concerning. One thing to not be putting points on the board but quite another not to be giving effort. I defended this pick as it wasn't a giant reach and I want to see how a kid develops. I defended him his draft+1 year given his surgery but this is his draft+3 year as a 6th overall pick. He has to start showing some progression.

Yup. Nobody should be calling him a bust yet but they need to get his ship righted and his development back on track, quickly.

It's already been over two years since he put up impressive numbers at any level. He's struggled to score in the WHL, struggled to score at the WJCs, struggled to score in the AHL, struggled to score in the NHL. Even if he could generate some production and gain some confidence in Utica, that would be huge.

If he can't find a way over the course of this season to show some direction and start creating an identity as a player and show some offensive ability and production ... it will be fair to start getting very concerned. This is a huge year for him.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks weren't embarrassed. Miller wasn't shelled.

Canucks are weak offensively. This was known. They didn't fix it all Summer. They won't fix it now via trade. This is the team for this season.

When two guys can't go Skille and a defenseman go in at forward. This isn't very promising but it is very illustrative. For one thing, it shows why Virtanen is still on the roster. Canucks do not have a full NHL roster. They are a couple of guys short if you concede Virtanen is an AHL player and Burrows is almost alumini. Depth players Biega and Tryamkin are head scratchers, too. There are other roster issues.

For me, Benning, going into his third season, hasn't found his way. Icing a depthless team with obvious problem players isn't good enough. Keeping the wrong coach isn't good enough, either. I question the intellect of the brain trust. Stecher in the AHL while too fat to play Tryamkin takes up a roster spot is another example. Do they even want to win? It's hard to tell. Is this what a modern tank job looks like?

Canucks can't score. This is their epitaph. It should be Benning's too.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Canucks weren't embarrassed. Miller wasn't shelled.

Canucks are weak offensively. This was known. They didn't fix it all Summer. They won't fix it now via trade. This is the team for this season.

When two guys can't go Skille and a defenseman go in at forward. This isn't very promising but it is very illustrative. For one thing, it shows why Virtanen is still on the roster. Canucks do not have a full NHL roster. They are a couple of guys short if you concede Virtanen is an AHL player and Burrows is almost alumini. Depth players Biega and Tryamkin are head scratchers, too. There are other roster issues.

For me, Benning, going into his third season, hasn't found his way. Icing a depthless team with obvious problem players isn't good enough. Keeping the wrong coach isn't good enough, either. I question the intellect of the brain trust. Stecher in the AHL while too fat to play Tryamkin takes up a roster spot is another example. Do they even want to win? It's hard to tell. Is this what a modern tank job looks like?

Well, yeah. They carry 8 defensemen.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
maybe its time to scratch sbisa and insert Tryamkin. time to shake things up. if the big train wont report to utica. theres no other way to go about it because he'll evenutally use his outclause to go back to the khl.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Not taking a shot on a Pulkkinen or Andrighetto when they were on waivers is looking a bit silly. We have zero forward depth and Horvat is on an island as a result.

Very perceptive - unfortunately Canuck management doesn't think anyone has better players who can't make their lineup than the Canucks' worse players. Total misread of NHL scouting -- as noted last year when they passed on Kindl (not saying Kindl was a savior; just that if management really thought they were going for the playoffs and saw our D struggle through a bleak period after Christmas, Jan. 9 Kindl was on waivers - claiming him and plugging him in for a Weber or Some-kowski would not have been worse)...
But i doubt Benning would pick up someone via waivers; he is completely miopic.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Virtanen should go down to the AHL. The Leafs sent Nylander to the Marlies and that helped his development. If Virtanen can go down and dominate by putting together a string of games where he puts up a lot of points that should help him get his confidence. If he doesn't dominate the AHL, well then he doesn't really deserve to be up at the NHL level then does he?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Virtanen should go down to the AHL. The Leafs sent Nylander to the Marlies and that helped his development. If Virtanen can go down and dominate by putting together a string of games where he puts up a lot of points that should help him get his confidence. If he doesn't dominate the AHL, well then he doesn't really deserve to be up at the NHL level then does he?

Who do we bring up to replace him, Grenier?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Very perceptive - unfortunately Canuck management doesn't think anyone has better players who can't make their lineup than the Canucks' worse players. Total misread of NHL scouting -- as noted last year when they passed on Kindl (not saying Kindl was a savior; just that if management really thought they were going for the playoffs and saw our D struggle through a bleak period after Christmas, Jan. 9 Kindl was on waivers - claiming him and plugging him in for a Weber or Some-kowski would not have been worse)...
But i doubt Benning would pick up someone via waivers; he is completely miopic.

As well some solid fringe players went cheap in the UFA market. Jonathan Marchessault was $750k would have been worth a look, at worst he's a great AHLer, with some NHL upside. Stempniak costs less than Dorsett.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

The trend of rushing players to the NHL because we don't have the proper depth is a larger trend that I'm worried about. It looks like McCann and Virtanen have both experienced setbacks, and I am deathly afraid of the same thing happening to Demko.

Someone more skilled with Photoshop knows what they need to do with this:

f86ac8e07f9fd3d28970daa85d4bb0d16be77d94_m.gif

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Who do we bring up to replace him, Grenier?

Labate. a Better version of him.

I would go for Mike Zalewski. His motor and speed on the forecheck make him the best suited for a bottom 6 spot.

--

On a related note Virtanen needs to be sent down so he can learn the system in an easier environment. He looks like he's literally afraid of handling the puck.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I have doubts they'll send Virtanen to Utica, ya gotta have that BC talent. Honestly give him another 5 games or so and if he doesn't show improvement ship him to Green in Utica.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Virtanen needs to go down to Utica and go down now. It's just a big waste of time having him up here.

This is a massive year in his development and if he takes a step back, he's going to be behind the 8 ball the rest of the way.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Virtanen should be replaced by Zalewski. Travis Green is his only hope for reversing his fortunes, and Zalewski would help the fourth line a great deal.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
maybe its time to scratch sbisa and insert Tryamkin. time to shake things up. if the big train wont report to utica. theres no other way to go about it because he'll evenutally use his outclause to go back to the khl.

Maybe try Sbisa at forward.. serious

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not sure I agree with not being embarrassed. Not on the scoreboard I suppose but they had zero business being in the game heading to the third. Outshot nearly 3:1 at that point and it was indicative of the play.

In the end, getting behind early every game to catch up in the third is not a sustainable way to earn points.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Not sure I agree with not being embarrassed. Not on the scoreboard I suppose but they had zero business being in the game heading to the third. Outshot nearly 3:1 at that point and it was indicative of the play.

In the end, getting behind early every game to catch up in the third is not a sustainable way to earn points.

the game was definitely lobsided...but one thing i'll say is that this schedule so far has been a bit ridiculous

already 6 games in 9 nights? we're barely a few weeks into the season and im already getting tired of committing 2+ hours a night to watching

the rather strange start for the sedins / erikkson / edler may be some world cup hangover effect as well

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
The roster should take a big shuffle.

D.Sedin-Horvat-Virtanen
Baertschi-H.Sedin-Eriksson
Granlund-Sutter-Hansen
Skille-Gaunce-Labate

Sbisa-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Edler-Tryamkin

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's a condensed schedule that every team has to deal with. Anaheim was also playing their 6th game and they started with 5 on the road 3 time zones away. So while they had 2 days off I think it's fair to say they likely weren't rested either.

World Cup hangover? Who knows. Sweden went out in the semis so they got A few more days of rest compared to Getzlaf and Perry.

Despite the start I see very little that gets me excited about the next 76 games. Virtanen is nearing the fork in the road that leads to NHLer or bustville...and he's leaning bustville right now. Baertschi is doing what he has done outside of 30-40 NHL games....a 25 point forgettable player. Granlund had a couple strong opening games but seems to be coming back down to earth. Coaching staff refuses to use their best offensive youngster in that role. Hutton is not looking like the dynamic d-man that was simply dominating the pre-season (I didn't expect it to carry over the same way but it hasn't carried over at all). This is the youth we are to be excited over and 6 games in, it isn't very exciting. IMO of course.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I agree, I screamed nylander with that pick. I thought tho, virtanen a strong offensive prospect is exciting to have, instead we get barely an NHLer.

He needs severe AHL time, 2 years minimum.

Lets just say if somebody told me to trade Virtanen for Yakupov, I would do it in a heart beat.

Do you have any suggestions for the Cancuks if they send him down?
Rodin, Burrows, Dorsett out. Virtanen probably playing with an injury. Biega playing wing. The Comets don't have enough players to fill the holes at the NHL level. The guys they have, most posters couldn't get sent back to Utica fast enough during preseason.

We have been harping on this huge lack of depth for 3 seasons. The drafted guys are one thing, but filling in the age gap could have been better suited to loading up the farm with other teams' surplus prospects and marginal pros that can help the big club in times of need and Lord knows that's been often. Could have made decent use of Hamhuis, Vrbata, and others in this manner over the past 3 seasons.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Do you have any suggestions for the Cancuks if they send him down?
Rodin, Burrows, Dorsett out. Virtanen probably playing with an injury. Biega playing wing. The Comets don't have enough players to fill the holes at the NHL level. The guys they have, most posters couldn't get sent back to Utica fast enough during preseason.

We have been harping on this huge lack of depth for 3 seasons. The drafted guys are one thing, but filling in the age gap could have been better suited to loading up the farm with other teams' surplus prospects and marginal pros that can help the big club in times of need and Lord knows that's been often. Could have made decent use of Hamhuis, Vrbata, and others in this manner over the past 3 seasons.

eureka. grab vey, grab clendening, grab prust, grab bartkowski.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It's a condensed schedule that every team has to deal with. Anaheim was also playing their 6th game and they started with 5 on the road 3 time zones away. So while they had 2 days off I think it's fair to say they likely weren't rested either.

Ridiculous. .. there was a significant difference..

6gms, 1 b2b in 10 days vs 6gms in 8 days with 2 b2b.
On game day - 2 days off vs back to back.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

Anaheim started the season with a three day rest from their last preseason game, have played no back to backs and have had very little travel (other than to and from the east coast) and were coming off two days rest. The Canucks were playing their 4th game in 6 nights....the day after playing LA. I seriously doubt the Ducks were tired....but we sure looked sluggish out there.

World Cup hangover? Who knows. Sweden went out in the semis so they got A few more days of rest compared to Getzlaf and Perry..

It's hard to watch and point production notwithstanding, the Sedins have really lost another step out there. It reminds me of the post lockout season when the Sedins looked so much more effective than the N-M-B line....a changing of the guard was kind of taking place before our eyes. In this case, it's been the G-S-H line that has been our best and that is kind of scary. Maybe it's just going to take a little time to gel with Loui, but I'm worried their bodies are simply unable to keep up with their brains.

Despite the start I see very little that gets me excited about the next 76 games. Virtanen is nearing the fork in the road that leads to NHLer or bustville...and he's leaning bustville right now. Baertschi is doing what he has done outside of 30-40 NHL games....a 25 point forgettable player. Granlund had a couple strong opening games but seems to be coming back down to earth. Coaching staff refuses to use their best offensive youngster in that role. Hutton is not looking like the dynamic d-man that was simply dominating the pre-season (I didn't expect it to carry over the same way but it hasn't carried over at all). This is the youth we are to be excited over and 6 games in, it isn't very exciting. IMO of course.

If Virtanen isn't hurt, his play is really concerning, he looks so uncomfortable and tentative; let's hope he's hurt. If not, he should be in Utica. I like the idea of Travis Green delivering messages.

Disagree on Granlund, he has been solid this season.....one of the biggest bright spots IMO.

That line has been so good, the idea of splitting them up is unappealing.....however, if the team doesn't bounce back tomorrow, I'd shuffle the deck chairs a bit

S-S-H
G-H-E
B-S-S
G-Z-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad