GDT: Game 59 | CBJ @ Montreal | 2/19 7:30 PM

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
C'mon Maylo, you know that's not regular PLD we saw there. First game that Panarin missed I believe PLD's line still had 2 goals.
I'm with @MoeBartoli here, he's not 1C in my eyes, maybe i'm old school. But a 1C for me is a playmaker 1st with good enough defensive game a and decent shot. PLD is not that. Power forward? - yes. 1c? not. I know we play him here because we have no other option but it doesn't say much. Plus, man sucks on the dot.

He needs to hire a skill coach in offseason if he's serious about being 1C.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dear Seth Jones:
When there is less than 10 seconds in a game, and your team is down by a goal and you get possession of the puck, please shoot the puck towards the net. Do not pass it back down the boards, and kill precious time.

Sincerely,
Screaming CBJ fans

IIRC he passed it to Atkinson and Atkinson missed it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm with @MoeBartoli here, he's not 1C in my eyes, maybe i'm old school. But a 1C for me is a playmaker 1st with good enough defensive game a and decent shot. PLD is not that. Power forward? - yes. 1c? not. I know we play him here because we have no other option but it doesn't say much. Plus, man sucks on the dot.

He needs to hire a skill coach in offseason if he's serious about being 1C.

He does skills training. His puck skills are miles ahead of where they were two years ago. His passing and his defensive game are far better than they were just a few months ago. And I would be surprised if he's below 50% on the dot in a few years.

I don't buy into these prototypes. Is Panarin not a #1LW because he's so good at playmaking? Dubois will obviously be best when paired with playmakers but he's a #1C.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I liked Bill Davidge's comments about the firepower that sat on the bench when goals were needed at the end. Totes talked about Duclair not understanding situational hockey, but I'm left to wonder if Torts understands the late game situation.......or does his stubbornness just take over?

Need a goal and he's raving about Nash, Sedlak and Dubi out there controlling play....but dammit, you need a goal with five minutes to go

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He does skills training. His puck skills are miles ahead of where they were two years ago. His passing and his defensive game are far better than they were just a few months ago. And I would be surprised if he's below 50% on the dot in a few years.

I don't buy into these prototypes. Is Panarin not a #1LW because he's so good at playmaking? Dubois will obviously be best when paired with playmakers but he's a #1C.
Panarin is an elite playmaker, superior to most 1LWs.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Pierre Luc Dubois is 20 years old. Just in case anyone forgot. If you thought he was going to look amazing every night I have a mystery box to sell you for a million dollars.
Patrick Laine is 20 year old!!! Leave him alone!!

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
We're still leading the division in regulation/OT wins and we're one point and one game above water. It would be the most Columbus thing ever to miss the playoffs while winning more "real" games than our competitors.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
We're still leading the division in regulation/OT wins and we're one point and one game above water. It would be the most Columbus thing ever to miss the playoffs while winning more "real" games than our competitors.
Sort of like winning the popular vote when we needed to win the electoral college

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Patrick Laine is 20 year old!!! Leave him alone!!

He didn't say "leave him alone you meanie", he made a sensible point about how much consistency you should expect from a 20 year old. It seems like your expectations are not realistic. Perhaps remind yourself how long it takes big 1C's to develop. I'm not claiming any resemblance to Thornton or Getzlaf but their career arc should tell you something. Neither were close to their best at age 20. And for the record, Dubois is better most nights than Laine is. Dubois has his off nights, Laine is mostly off with some sensational runs mixed in. One player is as consistent or more consistent than you can expect for a 20 year old, the other far less.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
He didn't say "leave him alone you meanie", he made a sensible point about how much consistency you should expect from a 20 year old. It seems like your expectations are not realistic. Perhaps remind yourself how long it takes big 1C's to develop. I'm not claiming any resemblance to Thornton or Getzlaf but their career arc should tell you something. Neither were close to their best at age 20. And for the record, Dubois is better most nights than Laine is. Dubois has his off nights, Laine is mostly off with some sensational runs mixed in. One player is as consistent or more consistent than you can expect for a 20 year old, the other far less.
Oh c'mon. I don't say i have Crosby expectation of him. Mark Sheifle version will be fine.
There is some aspects of his game he really needs work on to be 1C(not blue jackets version 1C), passing, puck handling, FO, variety of shooting. Does he even have a backhand in his arsenal?

Right now he hit the wall, terrible strecth of games.

Reactions: Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh c'mon. I don't say i have Crosby expectation of him. Mark Sheifle version will be fine.
There is some aspects of his game he really needs work on to be 1C(not blue jackets version 1C), passing, puck handling, FO, variety of shooting. Does he even have a backhand in his arsenal?

Right now he hit the wall, terrible strecth of games.

Yeah he's got plenty of work to do. That's exciting to me to think how much better he could get.

When Scheifele was 20, by the way, there was no discussion of him being a #1C. He wasn't even established at 2C.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah he's got plenty of work to do. That's exciting to me to think how much better he could get.

When Scheifele was 20, by the way, there was no discussion of him being a #1C. He wasn't even established at 2C.

He had 34 points when he was 20. PLD will double that this year. Send him down!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Off topic but how f***ing dumb is it that we have two back to backs in a matter of days where we have to cross the border?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Pierre Luc Dubois is 20 years old. Just in case anyone forgot. If you thought he was going to look amazing every night I have a mystery box to sell you for a million dollars.

Let's enter the realm of a self-righteous lecture that didn't need to happen! hiphiphurray! No one is "amazing" every night. I know it's shocking!!!!

Well we can back... and lost two points. Looking forward to Monday. heh

Reactions: CPTN71

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
So defensive. PLD is a product of Panarin. When next year he proves othervise i will eat a crow.

He definitely has inflated points because of Panarin, that's for sure, but a product of Panarin? I'll disagree and we'll just have to wait and see. No other point in continuing an argument that can only be solved with the passage of time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
PLD has benefitted from Bread as has Cam and lots of others. Panarin has accounted for over 80 goals this year either directly or via assists. That's a lot of goals the Jackets are going to have to come up with sans Bread.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
PLD has benefitted from Bread as has Cam and lots of others. Panarin has accounted for over 80 goals this year either directly or via assists. That's a lot of goals the Jackets are going to have to come up with sans Bread.

Panarin has also had the most productive years of his career playing next to PLD. Not a one way street here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yeah but how many are secondary assists?

(And I wondered what we would have to talk about...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad