May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Hey.... Up yours!
1677561749361.gif

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
This season is the best that I've seen Mackinnon play. This season is really the first time that I've watched him and felt like he's consistently processing the game at a high level. In the past he's always had moments of bad decision making/not really knowing what to do in a situation. He's gotten a lot better at understanding when and when not to attack the blue line with speed. Saw several times today where he hit the brakes in the neutral zone just so that he could expand the width of play and bring his linemates with him. Five years ago in that same situation he just rockets into the zone with nobody around him and gets trapped in the corner.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
This was probably one of the most wild stretches of the season scheduling wise with 3 B2B's and ends with a 3rd game in 4 nights situation. The Avs go 6-0-1 with the only loss coming to Tampa Bay in the shootout. They proceed to then beat Minnesota, St. Louis, Vegas, Winnipeg and Edmonton. All Western Conference teams and all but St. Louis in the playoff race. All games that have a big impact on the standings and the Avs showed up in a massive way.

How about Alexandar Georgiev though? He starts 6/7 of those games playing both games of the B2B twice plus the last game of the stretch as well. He played 180 minutes in four days, that's AHL/CHL stuff right there. Here's his last six starts and the GSAx (per NST) he put up:

That's over 1 GSAx per game during this stretch. Georgiev looked like he'd finish around being a top 8/10 goalie in the league. This stretch pushes him into the top 5 conversation for this season. I think what's also very comforting is he didn't just handle the workload given to him, he was able to show he can be the goalie the Avs need no matter the situation. Go head to head with Vasi? Done. Take the team on his back and steal a win against great odds? Done. Deal with the pressure of a very close game to the final minute? Done. Be solid while the Avs rack up goals? Done.

Obviously he needs to keep it up but you have to be feeling good about Georgiev.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Great game. Now that Toews is no longer overworked he is playing much better. I bet we see improvement in Makar's game as well when he returns for the same reason.

14-2-2 in last 18 games. And we are still missing Landy, Makar, Helm and Frankie. The boys are back.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Great game. Now that Toews is no longer overworked he is playing much better. I bet we see improvement in Makar's game as well when he returns for the same reason.

14-2-2 in last 18 games. And we are still missing Landy, Makar, Helm and Frankie. The boys are back.
Girard not being a complete liability and skating well again, has been the biggest boost to our D. Toews looks great today too. Byram had a good game, but couldn't put any of his chances together

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Girard not being a complete liability and skating well again, has been the biggest boost to our D. Toews looks great today too. Byram had a good game, but couldn't put any of his chances together
Byram had a good game offensively but had some absolutely atrocious turnovers in the defensive zone. He still needs to clean that part of his game up. Either way it did not cost the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad