Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Hasn't really been mentioned but here we are, another year, another draft lottery, and yet again the Canucks don't get the number one overall pick.

Kind of surprised the oilers didn't get it again, to be honest.
Damnit! I was really looking fwd to adding the 1st overall pick to the teams Stanley Cup this year. Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: ziploc

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Especially against teams with blazing speed like the Avs and Oilers. Keeping your structure is absolutely vital. Dallas is good at that but were clearly tired.
Have to hit the net. Hard shot that goes wide going to get around the boards fast and if your linemates are attacking the net you are going to trap them.

Reactions: ziploc

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Main reason would be to keep him from the Sharks if they don't have any infrastructure to support him. I fully expect him to sign this summer but I don't think there's a non-zero chance that he and/or the team want him to stay away for a season.

You'd figure they'd do what the Ducks and Blackhawks did by bringing in some veterans (Hall, Foligno, & Perry(LOL) and Killorn) so he's not tasked with being the entire offense.

I get the reasoning but again, the precedent is clear and he's too good for college.

The Sharks do have some insulation if Couture stays healthy. I agree that they need some wingers to play with Celebrini.

Reactions: Vector

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Trouba sucks ass. Gudbranson level player being paid $8.5M.

Trouba being suspended makes the Rangers x2 better than they are right now with him in the line up

• Haha
Reactions: sting101

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get the reasoning but again, the precedent is clear and he's too good for college.

The Sharks do have some insulation if Couture stays healthy. I agree that they need some wingers to play with Celebrini.
He will go pro.

One final thing with the draft lottery, the percentages for the bottom 3 teams to win it out right seems to have remained the same 18.5, 13.5, 11.5% since 2016. That's 43.5% outright, with an extra 7% for the worst team if #12 to 16 OA win it, which has yet to happen these past 4 lotteries.

Just a quirk with the small sample size, but 7/8 draws have been won by the bottom 3 teams in the past 4 lotteries, whereas it was 3/10 for the bottom 3 the prior 5 lotteries when only looking at the top 2 picks.

Should even out to the % over time.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Celebrini and Will Smith... Sharks are gonna be scary in about 4-5yrs if they surround them properly.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I think I ruffled a Flames fan on the main boards because I claimed the Flames fanbase isn't as big as the Oilers one. He then proceeded to scold me and chest pump his Calgary love about the fans.

Then I proceeded to state I moved out of Calgary 14 years ago and claim the best place to go was Marlborough Mall.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Celebrini and Will Smith... Sharks are gonna be scary in about 4-5yrs if they surround them properly.
Well, they have to develop them properly as well. I mean, look at Ana, this is year 6 out of the PO for them and they've been bad for 4 of those 6 seasons. They finished, worst, 2nd worst, 3rd worst and 5th worst in 4 of the last 5 years. Zegras and Drysdale were their firsts in 2019 and 2020 when they first missed the PO. Drysdale is gone and Zegras, I think what you see is what is he. Talented, but if you make the PO, I can't imagine his play is going to be better than what we saw from Marner this past PO.

Ana has tonnes of cap space but need to start getting better as this is Carlson, Zell, Lacombe, Mintyukov's second year and Gauthier's first and MacTavish's 3rd. That's 6 of their top kids they hope to build around. Can't be aiming to be bottom 3/5 again. And it was a 17 point gap between Ducks and Habs at 59 to 76 in the standings this year, so they've got a long ways to go to get out of the cellar.

Sharks, have cap room as well. But, will also find adding vets tough despite the sunny NorCal weather. Overpay like what Detroit did to get guys to come and what Van had to as well back in the day. Figure SJ will get to 8 years out of the PO as they are currently at 5 years now.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Trouba's lucky Necas ducked out. He tried to throw one of of the dirtiest hits of the season. If he connects, he's probably suspended....for one game, because Parros.

But still.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Trouba's lucky Necas ducked out. He tried to throw one of of the dirtiest hits of the season. If he connects, he's probably suspended....for one game, because Parros.

But still.
The media giants love the guy. Much like they loved Stevens. So he’ll always get the benefit of the doubt. And shorter suspensions when the league has no choice. Personally I think he’s a psychopath and hockey would be better without

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

bizarre interpretation of our series

Bro had one too many to drink before getting up for that interview. Not surprising given his history.

Fantastic coach throughout the series and year, but in 4/6 games the Canucks were the better team. Oddly enough they went 2-2 in those games, so Brunette is only thinking about how they were the better team in the games they lost & thinking if those flipped they win the series.

Reactions: Red

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

But still.
He should get fined. That elbow attempt was really poor judgement and is the kind of crap that ends careers if it connects. The fact that he didn't connect shouldn't allow him to get off free.

Of course no penalty is the right call but the league has to keep players accountable. You wouldn't let a player swing his stick like a baseball bat and have Necas duck to avoid it and do nothing

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

bizarre interpretation of our series

Major sour grapes. Spun another way, you lost to a team that didn't have it's Vezina-quality goalie and one of it's top-six lines just failed to show-up. This is actually an insult to the Preds.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He should get fined. That elbow attempt was really poor judgement and is the kind of crap that ends careers if it connects. The fact that he didn't connect shouldn't allow him to get off free.

Of course no penalty is the right call but the league has to keep players accountable. You wouldn't let a player swing his stick like a baseball bat and have Necas duck to avoid it and do nothing

Alright, let's bust out this lovely algorithm again. Now, let's assume the hit did connect...

"A player might be suspended!"

"What kind of player?"

1) Superstar
- CRAP. Has he ever been suspended before?
- Yes, even though he's a star we suspend him often.
- Really?
- Really.
- DAMN IT PRONGER!
- 1-5 games suspension.

2) Second or third liner (or the equivalent, depending on how you see Trouba).
- OK, nobdy will really care if we...wait, was it Avery?
- No some other guy.
- 1-5 games suspension.

3) Goon
- Oh god, what did he do...?
- Almost killed a guy.
- CRAP.
- Was it on Sportscenter?
- A few times.
- 5+ games suspension.

And if we are to go by playoff standard, where the 1 game equals 7 bullshit is taken into account, with all things considered, my guess is Trouba will get 2 games suspension, max.
nhl suspension chart.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mathonwy

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well, they have to develop them properly as well. I mean, look at Ana, this is year 6 out of the PO for them and they've been bad for 4 of those 6 seasons. They finished, worst, 2nd worst, 3rd worst and 5th worst in 4 of the last 5 years. Zegras and Drysdale were their firsts in 2019 and 2020 when they first missed the PO. Drysdale is gone and Zegras, I think what you see is what is he. Talented, but if you make the PO, I can't imagine his play is going to be better than what we saw from Marner this past PO.

Ana has tonnes of cap space but need to start getting better as this is Carlson, Zell, Lacombe, Mintyukov's second year and Gauthier's first and MacTavish's 3rd. That's 6 of their top kids they hope to build around. Can't be aiming to be bottom 3/5 again. And it was a 17 point gap between Ducks and Habs at 59 to 76 in the standings this year, so they've got a long ways to go to get out of the cellar.

Sharks, have cap room as well. But, will also find adding vets tough despite the sunny NorCal weather. Overpay like what Detroit did to get guys to come and what Van had to as well back in the day. Figure SJ will get to 8 years out of the PO as they are currently at 5 years now.
well of course it's not a given they become elite players but both are 1OA worthy in the right drafts and have immense ceilings which is a hell of a way to build with 2 elite top6 Cs down the middle.

The 3-5yr rebuild narrative is pie in the sky without hitting a few draft home runs and even then it's dumb to think no matter how good they are that A you'll have enough surrounding pieces by then and B that your stars are mature enough to beat other stars in 7 game series that have years of experience at competing against the very best

Fans are still stuck in the wrong era's for that. Todays NHL is as deep and competitive as ever. It's why we see a lot of prospects struggle for so long to beak out or find significant roles.

If your down to the studs you can count on 7yrs before you start to have your elite core (if your lucky) do a ton of damage in todays NHL. Anaheim is doing well but they will still need a few more years before they are a perennial playoff team let alone a contender and they are a few years ahead of SJ.

My point is merely that Smith and Celebrini is an incredible duo to start that with and in 4-5yrs we should start seeing that bear some fruit if done properly

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so according to my quick review, andrew brunette has never been on or coached an nhl team that lost a game 7 before. so unless he's talking about his own team, i am not sure what he is on about mentioning two series where he didn't think the best team won. the wild memorably won two 7 game series in 2003 while he was on them, so maybe he's paying due respect to the wce canucks. jersey beat the rangers last year in 7 so maybe he loves the rangers. that's the extent of his game 7 experience.

at the very least he's not exactly an authority on game 7s and apparently disagrees with 50% of the outcomes of the ones he has been involved with, so to say "only" like it is unusual for him in his lengthy experience is incorrect and kind of a weird flex.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Really don’t have a problem with Brunette said even though it’s wrong. Probably just trying to raise morale for his team after a loss. A Huge nothing burger.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The media giants love the guy. Much like they loved Stevens. So he’ll always get the benefit of the doubt. And shorter suspensions when the league has no choice. Personally I think he’s a psychopath and hockey would be better without
Trouba should be basically getting the Raffi Torres treatment given how often he tries to end careers, but like you said, the league and media are simply idiotic and won't do the right thing.

Honestly it should be a suspension given how blantantly egregious and dirty that hit attempt was.

But technically there was no hit. So there's no chance he's getting any punishment, even a fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad