GDT: Game 58: Knights @ Avs - Climbing the Ladder - 7PM

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Didn't have time to read through the entire thread but I was surprised by how much Vegas has changed their game and their approach. Some of it has to be roster caused but I believe most of the approach is from coaching.

They used to have a superb defensive corp that contributed offensively. Seems they are now playing more conservatively and actually, I saw a lot of hesitation and reserve their game. Perhaps it was the opponent but they no longer impress me as a high velocity offensive machine. That can't all be on Stone.... as good as he is.

Their goalie played well. Yet they still lost 0 - 3.

They aren't going anywhere this off season other than scheduling some early tee times.
The prior offense was 100% Peter DeBoer. Emphasis on high volume on shots, many from the D. Cassidy is much more focused on transition game both ways and his D are play facilitators instead of just throwing the puck towards the net. And I think the Avs just scared them into playing a conservative game because they know the transition opportunities are there. The style works good for the Pacific because no one plays a style that makes them vulnerable other than the Oilers. The Flames have gotten much slower in the transition game without the guys that left. The rest of the teams just don't have a lot of talent. The Pacific probably comes down to who wins a bunch of shootouts between the Oilers and Knights. Either team is probably overmatched by a healthy Avs team.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I was surprised at how little hitting went on from the GK for such an important game. I know it is still the regular season and that really isn’t our game in general but I thought the Knights would be a little more physical, chippy and well, dirty, like they were in the past. I thought the intensity was there for the game, especially starting the second period……just didn’t see too many finished checks, especially from the GK.

Reactions: Azrael89

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I was surprised at how little hitting went on from the GK for such an important game. I know it is still the regular season and that really isn’t our game in general but I thought the Knights would be a little more physical, chippy and well, dirty, like they were in the past. I thought the intensity was there for the game, especially starting the second period……just didn’t see too many finished checks, especially from the GK.
I thought the same thing. Especially since MacDermid wasn’t in the lineup since he got concussed.

Reactions: 5280

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I have at times been hard on Mack's defensive game but especially on dumb turnovers he creates in the offensive zone. However I must start giving him credit in turning this around. Since last playoffs run he has been much better defensively. He will never be a great 2-way player but I was never asking him to be. All I wanted was for him to be more responsible in his own zone. He has done that since the start of the playoffs last season. He will always make some mistakes in that part of his game but if he can improve some more that will be a huge help for him when he starts regressing.

Since the middle of Jan I noticed that he has also been a lot better in the offensive zone with regard to reducing his dumb passes/plays. I think he would benefit in the future if he could calm down on the PP. Once his hands start slowing down he will need to adjust to a slower pace in the O-zone. But for now I am happy to see him not forcing those passes/plays on the PP as much.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
This team does rely heavily on the defensemen being able to initiate and support the transitional game. I do think it would be helpful to get one more RHD to move JMFJ to an appropriate depth role.

That's why players like Bo are so important to us; "simple" things he does numerous times per game.

In a few seconds, you're free of opponent forechecking pressure, passed the neutral zone press, break entry into their zone and create offense.

giphy.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I legit haven't seen Eichel do anything against us. Did he even register a SOG? A total non-factor
He did several times on the rush. Unleashed a 90 MPH wrister down the middle that George saved easily.

That's why players like Bo are so important to us; "simple" things he does numerous times per game.

In a few seconds, you're free of opponent forechecking pressure, passed the neutral zone press, break entry into their zone and create offense.

giphy.gif
Girard used to do this alot. Hes starting doing this again lately. You can see why Craig Button fawned over Bo as much as he did leading up to that draft. Plays like this. Not everyone has a Bo Byram.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
sorry but 100% disagree with you Meyers play very good last night. speed,good scoring chance. forecheking.

Agreed, I thought he was quite good, and though it was a small sample size the underlying numbers were also quite good. He finally quit deferring so damned much, I don't think I saw one stupid drop pass from him. He was pushing ahead, taking shots, battling for pucks. That's what we need to see from him.

I've said before Meyers doesn't appear to work well with pure grinders like Newhook does, he needs some skill alongside him, and got exactly that in Malgin (who also didn't look bad IMO either). That's where Nieto is such a savvy pickup. He's not a skill guy but he knows how to work with skill guys, and does the dirty work so they don't have to. Dare I say that was about the first time this entire season the 4th line really, honestly worked.

Speaking of Newhook, there's an element to his defensive game that's picked up quite a bit and it's a welcome sight. I'm still not sure he's great in his own end of the ice, though he certainly puts in the work. Where I've noticed his defense is in the neutral zone, he disrupts a lot of stuff and in the Flames game, he was pretty much assigned to Kadri, and the latter IMO didn't really look that dangerous. I also think Newhook's gotten a lot better on the forecheck, it used to be way too easy to elude him, he's picking his spots better.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Agreed, I thought he was quite good, and though it was a small sample size the underlying numbers were also quite good. He finally quit deferring so damned much, I don't think I saw one stupid drop pass from him. He was pushing ahead, taking shots, battling for pucks. That's what we need to see from him.

I've said before Meyers doesn't appear to work well with pure grinders like Newhook does, he needs some skill alongside him, and got exactly that in Malgin (who also didn't look bad IMO either). That's where Nieto is such a savvy pickup. He's not a skill guy but he knows how to work with skill guys, and does the dirty work so they don't have to. Dare I say that was about the first time this entire season the 4th line really, honestly worked.

Speaking of Newhook, there's an element to his defensive game that's picked up quite a bit and it's a welcome sight. I'm still not sure he's great in his own end of the ice, though he certainly puts in the work. Where I've noticed his defense is in the neutral zone, he disrupts a lot of stuff and in the Flames game, he was pretty much assigned to Kadri, and the latter IMO didn't really look that dangerous. I also think Newhook's gotten a lot better on the forecheck, it used to be way too easy to elude him, he's picking his spots better.
IMO the two areas Newy has to improve the most is his first few steps in acceleration and protection of the puck.

Reactions: Avs91

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Newhook has also added a bit of head fake into his game and he's been way faster through the neutral zone with it.

IMO the two areas Newy has to improve the most is his first few steps in acceleration and protection of the puck.

First step acceleration is like a naturally gifted talent. But I think newhook can gain some veteran savy/better anticipation to make up for it.

Reactions: avsfan09

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Meyers has NHL speed and forecheck, but he doesn't have NHL hands at all. How many times is he going to fly into the zone and not get a shot off either because he fans on the puck completely because he looked up or the defender easily gets his stick in there.

I like the guy but I think we need Helm back as 4C for the playoffs.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I'd love to believe it but the thing about that particular team is that for some crazy reason, they get away with a TON of hooks and holds. More than I've seen from any other team this year by a mile.

Don't get me wrong, the Avs got away with a bunch of stuff too but that's not the Avs game. The Avs biggest strength is SPEED and IF the other team is allowed to negate that by the referees letting everything go - then it evens the playing field and that's a team that could do some damage in the playoffs just by that fact alone.

Least penalized team in the league is an absolute JOKE the way that team plays. :shakehead

I won't be surprised if they re-acquire Ryan Reaves this week - feels like they need someone to rip hair out of someone's head with NO CALL - to even things out.
I agree that Vegas gets away with a lot. But Tampa gets away with more.. The Bolts go to the box more but EVERY shift/play contains an infraction of some type so the refs can't and won't call them all.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The prior offense was 100% Peter DeBoer. Emphasis on high volume on shots, many from the D. Cassidy is much more focused on transition game both ways and his D are play facilitators instead of just throwing the puck towards the net. And I think the Avs just scared them into playing a conservative game because they know the transition opportunities are there. The style works good for the Pacific because no one plays a style that makes them vulnerable other than the Oilers. The Flames have gotten much slower in the transition game without the guys that left. The rest of the teams just don't have a lot of talent. The Pacific probably comes down to who wins a bunch of shootouts between the Oilers and Knights. Either team is probably overmatched by a healthy Avs team.
Good explanation for consideration.

Actually I was thinking back more to Gallant's time as coach. The GK's had that top line with Mess and Karlsson and then Riley Smith. They could come at you from any angle with speed and skill.

It's probable that the Avs made them turn conservative. Esp. after Rants 2nd goal...

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

Your post reminded me of a thought I had while watching last night, which is that Newhook would do better with more skill next to him. I was thinking I'd love to see him with Malgin and Nieto, rather than Cogs and LOC. Of course, I'd love to see Newhook with Rants, or on MacK's wing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Your post reminded me of a thought I had while watching last night, which is that Newhook would do better with more skill next to him. I was thinking I'd love to see him with Malgin and Nieto, rather than Cogs and LOC. Of course, I'd love to see Newhook with Rants, or on MacK's wing.
All due respect, putting skill next to Newhook has already been done quite a bit and I’ve maintained that it HASN’T worked. There was no shortage of skill around him to start this year, it wasn’t until he was put two north/south grinders that his game at center finally showed some consistency.

They also tried Malgin next to Newhook and Meyers back with LOC/Cogs which I said was a terrible idea, and sure enough it was a disaster. Luckily Bednar picked up on that and put 18 back with 11 and 25 where he belongs.

You’d think given their respective skill sets that Newhook and Meyers would be similar, but in terms of which wingers they work best with, they couldn’t be farther apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad