GDT: Game 58 | Columbus vs Tampa Bay | 2/18 7:30 PM

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Was at both games here...trying figure out which jersey I wore for the win last year...or year before

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
This assumes Torts is benching players for gaffes that have nothing to do with coaching. Missing an open net (unless you think Torts is spending a lot of practice time telling his players not to do it) isn't the same as a neutral zone turnover that has likely been the subject of instruction from the coaches.

Don't hear me defending Riley Nash here. He has sucked. I'm on record with that in the past. But equating his situation to Duclair's just isn't valid.
So what is fair game? Neither player has been particularly good. I'd argue Duclair has been much more valuable. Should we not ice the best team? Or does personal gripes on how Torts likes to see the game played more important? I understand there needs to be structure but believing that Riley Nash isn't guilty of dumb turnovers as well is extremely narrow minded. There is a reason everyone pretty much can agree he sucks. I personally would rather see Duclair make mistakes than the guy who just seems to be not good.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So what is fair game? Neither player has been particularly good. I'd argue Duclair has been much more valuable. Should we not ice the best team? Or does personal gripes on how Torts likes to see the game played more important? I understand there needs to be structure but believing that Riley Nash isn't guilty of dumb turnovers as well is extremely narrow minded. There is a reason everyone pretty much can agree he sucks. I personally would rather see Duclair make mistakes than the guy who just seems to be not good.

The point is it's possible to understand where Torts is coming from even if you don't agree. I'd hardly call asking/telling your players to do a certain thing in a certain situation and then having a player not do it a "personal gripe."

As for the rest, you'd have to ask the coach. We got a good look at this one because Duclair fessed up.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
This is normally the type of game in which the CBJ take a steaming dump at center ice.
A steaming dump would imply it came from something alive - active - fresh - aware.

It's National TV. It's the Blue Jackets. More like a shivering case of the runs ............. all over the ice. Not just neutral zone.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
The point is it's possible to understand where Torts is coming from even if you don't agree. I'd hardly call asking/telling your players to do a certain thing in a certain situation and then having a player not do it a "personal gripe."

As for the rest, you'd have to ask the coach. We got a good look at this one because Duclair fessed up.
At the end of the day, you should ice the best team. I like Torts, I think he is a good coach for this team. It just seems a bit strange that one player continually gets scratched when there has been worse out there. Hence the "personal gripe" comment.

Reactions: Jaxs

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
You weren't 3rd row for it lol
DW and I were in Tampa - Section 118, Row M (so 13th row). We sadly had a pretty good view. Thankfully the rest of the trip was very good and we did not let the CBJ spoil loss ruin it for us. Though we did not feel like hanging out in the rooftop bar of the arena after the game. Shocker...right?

Reactions: Fro

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Yeah we just went home, was around the other side, we are usually 126-128...found row C on StubHub for $125 ea...

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
A steaming dump would imply it came from something alive - active - fresh - aware.

It's National TV. It's the Blue Jackets. More like a shivering case of the runs ............. all over the ice. Not just neutral zone.
Jeez, thanks for that image now firmly implated in my brain.....

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Probably been stated but this game is critical. If we play well (especially with Korpi in net) it may let management feel ok to try to add a Duchene (or other upgrade) and salvage what possible out of Bob.
However if we get clobbered may be the sign to take what we can get from both.
Either way would be a great night for a win!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So now gymnastics means a potential, realistic and valid alternate explanation?
I think we all know the valid explanation. Bobs problems are in his head. I find it laughable that people here think Torts, or Jarmo are using a strategy that involves thinking they will most likely lose tonight, in their home barn, on national tv, and saving Bob to play against Montreal. If so, the game is already lost, and shows a huge problem coming from the top of the organization. Its not like Korpis, or Bobs stats are much different , this season. To me, you play your best, against the best teams. Maybe we should give Panarin, and PLD the night off tonight, since we will most likely lose, and that way , they will be fresh for Montreal :popcorn:

Reactions: Madifer

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think we all know the valid explanation. Bobs problems are in his head. I find it laughable that people here think Torts, or Jarmo are using a strategy that involves thinking they will most likely lose tonight, in their home barn, on national tv, and saving Bob to play against Montreal. If so, the game is already lost, and shows a huge problem coming from the top of the organization. Its not like Korpis, or Bobs stats are much different , this season. To me, you play your best, against the best teams. Maybe we should give Panarin, and PLD the night off tonight, since we will most likely lose, and that way , they will be fresh for Montreal :popcorn:
I don't think that's the play at all. Bob has been embarrassed his past two games vs. Tampa. I wouldn't play him tonight either. Besides, why run the risk of ruining his trade value on national TV just days before the deadline?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Wennberg made a bad line change decision against Chicago on their PP. They were rushing into the zone and he's late leaving the ice. Foligno never did catch up with the play and the Hawks scored basically on a 50n3.

I wonder how many times Torts has told Wennberg explicitly to make timely line changes in that situation though.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Probably not as many times as he’s been told to shoot the puck , and ignores the coach

I'm of the impression that Wennberg has been more aggressive on offense and is shooting with more frequency, but that's not really the point I was after.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I don't think keeping a veteran player in the lineup because "he is what he is", is a good reason. Healthy scratching someone every time he makes a mistake doesnt gain you respect when there are other more veteran players doing the same things either.
You can't scratch Riley Nash.....not when we're paying him at a rate of $2,750,000 per goal! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Madifer

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Big feature just now on NBCSN pregame on Seth Jones. Showed him cooking dinner for Boone & Andy. He’s got skills in the kitchen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad