GDT: Game 58 | Columbus vs Tampa Bay | 2/18 7:30 PM

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Best of luck to Korpi.. he'll certainly need it after riding the pine for almost a month straight now. EDIT: last start was Feb 2 against STL - so not quite a month but still, he should have got at least 1 of the 3 games last week.

Terrible rotation management but whatever..

Last edited:

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
This Duclair/Torts nonsense is starting to get excessive, IMO.
I’m actually realllly curious what’s going on there. My guess is it has to do with neutral zone play primarily and Duke’s excessive need to try to get a break and sacrificing all positioning to that end.

Still, have to wonder about some of the grittier aspects of it if coach is now saying that stuff to the media

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
5-2 CBJ

I like plan for Bob tomorrow vs. Habs. That game is more important for playoff positioning. Hopefully, beat Habs in OT so Pens slide down to WC2.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I’m actually realllly curious what’s going on there. My guess is it has to do with neutral zone play primarily and Duke’s excessive need to try to get a break and sacrificing all positioning to that end.

Still, have to wonder about some of the grittier aspects of it if coach is now saying that stuff to the media

Reactions: aRussian

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Man.. I bet Duclair is feeling like he must play an inhuman 100% perfect game and I doubt thats fun or conducive to his confidence.

Reminds me of certain coaches I had growing up.. that wanted to bench or berate over 1 little mistake. I always played better when I had more confidence, and that confidence came from not having to worry about making 1 tiny mistake and losing immediate playing time as a result.

I get Torts wants to hold him accountable but at some point or another you have to realize that not everybody responds to the same style of coaching.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
At what point is he singling him out though? I haven't seen any other player healthy scratched for mistakes in the neutral zone and god knows they have happened. I'm not defending Duclair as I don't think he's not deserving of said treatment but it seems to be only him. Surely Riley Nash has been worthy of a healthy scratch for all the empty nets he has missed. No?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
At what point is he singling him out though? I haven't seen any other player healthy scratched for mistakes in the neutral zone and god knows they have happened. I'm not defending Duclair as I don't think he's not deserving of said treatment but it seems to be only him. Surely Riley Nash has been worthy of a healthy scratch for all the empty nets he has missed. No?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I hate "4 point games". It is nonsense. You're either 2 pts closer or 2 points farther away. JFC.

It’s not nonsense. If we win tomorrow, we’d be 2 points ahead of Montreal in the wild card race. If we lose tomorrow, we’re 2 behind them. That’s a 4-point swing. If we win tonight, we’re 2 ahead. If we lose tonight, we’re still tied with them.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Man.. I bet Duclair is feeling like he must play an inhuman 100% perfect game and I doubt thats fun or conducive to his confidence.

Reminds me of certain coaches I had growing up.. that wanted to bench or berate over 1 little mistake. I always played better when I had more confidence, and that confidence came from not having to worry about making 1 tiny mistake and losing immediate playing time as a result.

I get Torts wants to hold him accountable but at some point or another you have to realize that not everybody responds to the same style of coaching.

Is it "1 tiny mistake" or a trend of making the same "tiny mistake" over and over again that's causing trouble?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Could also simply be that tonight’s a 2-point game (and probably a loss no matter who’s in net) and tomorrow’s a 4-point game (that we have better odds of winning with Bob).
I mean their GAA, and save % is nearly the same, but I love the gymnastics going on in this thread. Lets call a spade , a spade. Coach/Gm or both, don't trust Bob against Tampa. Pretty telling

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Duclair is on his 4th team in 5 years for a reason. He seems to have a reputation for disappearing for long stretches and this appears Torts way of refocusing him. I don’t think the comparison of Riley works here. Riley will be 30 in May. He is what he is and no amount of scratches will get more out of him. Duclair is still only 23 and I think Torts sees much more opportunity for him to improve his game.

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I would argue that tomorrow's game is more important, hence starting Bob then. Montreal has lost 4 in a row and is suddenly a bubble team with the rest of us. Put Bob in, give yourself a better chance to win against the lesser opponent.

Roll the dice with Korpi tonight, he has played strong at surprising moments before. Either way you look at it, Tampa has only lost 11 games in regulation all year, so anything you get tonight is probably a bonus.

All that said, 6-0 Bolts. :help:

Prove me wrong guys! We're on national TV tonight.
Exactly what he said...^^^^^

I honestly can't understand the mental block against Tampa. We have the perfect combination of size and speed to neutralize a team like the Bolts, who don't have an o-line player over 6' 1". Look what the Caps did to them in the playoffs.

Instead of playing physical and aggressive against them, we end up standing around and watching them cycle the puck around the rink on a perpetual 'power play'. They'll put up double digits on us at some point at this rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sore Loser

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Duclair is on his 4th team in 5 years for a reason. He seems to have a reputation for disappearing for long stretches and this appears Torts way of refocusing him. I don’t think the comparison of Riley works here. Riley will be 30 in May. He is what he is and no amount of scratches will get more out of him. Duclair is still only 23 and I think Torts sees much more opportunity for him to improve his game.
I don't think keeping a veteran player in the lineup because "he is what he is", is a good reason. Healthy scratching someone every time he makes a mistake doesnt gain you respect when there are other more veteran players doing the same things either.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't think keeping a veteran player in the lineup because "he is what he is", is a good reason. Healthy scratching someone every time he makes a mistake doesnt gain you respect when there are other more veteran players doing the same things either.

Are these veterans you're referencing actually doing the same things though? With the same consistency?

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Are these veterans you're referencing actually doing the same things though? With the same consistency?
I have seen Riley Nash miss 3 empty nets in the past 2 weeks. If turning the puck over in the neutral zone is the only thing we are healthy scratching for, I guess we should continue to play Nash. Do we really need to debate who is more effective Duclair or Nash?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Is it "1 tiny mistake" or a trend of making the same "tiny mistake" over and over again that's causing trouble?

Very well could be the same mistake over and over again.

Others in here have already countered but are other players being held to the same standard? Nash, Wennberg, Werenski come to mind.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I have seen Riley Nash miss 3 empty nets in the past 2 weeks. If turning the puck over in the neutral zone is the only thing we are healthy scratching for, I guess we should continue to play Nash. Do we really need to debate who is more effective Duclair or Nash?

This assumes Torts is benching players for gaffes that have nothing to do with coaching. Missing an open net (unless you think Torts is spending a lot of practice time telling his players not to do it) isn't the same as a neutral zone turnover that has likely been the subject of instruction from the coaches.

Don't hear me defending Riley Nash here. He has sucked. I'm on record with that in the past. But equating his situation to Duclair's just isn't valid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad