GDT: Game 58: Columbus vs. Boston | 2/16 7PM EST

major major

Feb 18, 2013
These close games are the way to do it. I don't know if folks have noticed, but the Jackets are closing in on the win totals of some playoff teams. Just a few back from Nashville now. If the Jackets had been taking more of their losses in OT we'd still be talking about playoff chances.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Anyone really think Jones is worth an long term big money deal yet? He's a 2 year bridge deal if the FO is thinking soundly. Same $ as Murray sounds about right.

This team is going to have trouble scoring goals against good teams. The Bruins first line was far superior to the CBJ #1 line. #17 was invisible last night-except when he held Chara right in front of the ref and then whined when he was caught red-handed.

A good showing of Bs fans. 300 or so? More than a few Bobby Orr unis.:handclap: The greatest defensemen to ever play the game.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Anyone really think Jones is worth an long term big money deal yet? He's a 2 year bridge deal if the FO is thinking soundly. Same $ as Murray sounds about right.

This team is going to have trouble scoring goals against good teams. The Bruins first line was far superior to the CBJ #1 line. #17 was invisible last night-except when he held Chara right in front of the ref and then whined when he was caught red-handed.

A good showing of Bs fans. 300 or so? More than a few Bobby Orr unis.:handclap: The greatest defensemen to ever play the game.

I think a bridge deal is likely unless we can get favorable terms. Likely more money than Murray (because he's been healthy).
I think there was more than 300 B's fans. I was in one of party towers for the PSL woo-ing, and there was a lot in the lower bowl (especially). Not penguin or wings like but I would guess over a 1000 total. But again didn't count but very visible.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

there were probably a couple thousand Bs fans...the bench side was nearly all Black and Gold...

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

This was my immediate thought about Jones. He's going to be good, but he's young and doesn't deserve a long term contract at this point. A 2-3 year bridge deal that leaves the Jackets holding his rights at the completion is the way to go. The only young player that has earned a long term contract is Jenner and he probably deserves the "C" too.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Eh, doesn't have the injury history so I'd expect 2 years / $6 million (total). Maybe a tad more but in that ballpark. I think he's shown a touch more offensively than Murray.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This was my immediate thought about Jones. He's going to be good, but he's young and doesn't deserve a long term contract at this point. A 2-3 year bridge deal that leaves the Jackets holding his rights at the completion is the way to go. The only young player that has earned a long term contract is Jenner and he probably deserves the "C" too.

I remember something one of European friends wrote awhile back:

"In Europe we pay for what a guy is going to do; in America you pay for what he has done."

Jones is going to be good for a long time. He is going to get better. If we can lock him up for 6 years now at up to 6 mill it is better than waiting two years and locking him up for 7+.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I remember something one of European friends wrote awhile back:

"In Europe we pay for what a guy is going to do; in America you pay for what he has done."

Jones is going to be good for a long time. He is going to get better. If we can lock him up for 6 years now at up to 6 mill it is better than waiting two years and locking him up for 7+.

I totally get that.

My only fear is how many guys (after coming here) quit or got frustrated pretty quickly.

Now I love Jones's pedigree (father was in NBA as player and now coaching) so he gets what it takes to be a pro. And I would be happy to lock him up long term but that fear is always there in my head if you pay him, will he keep progressing (or will he regress like others have in CBJ land)?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I totally get that.

My only fear is how many guys (after coming here) quit or got frustrated pretty quickly.

Now I love Jones's pedigree (father was in NBA as player and now coaching) so he gets what it takes to be a pro. And I would be happy to lock him up long term but that fear is always there in my head if you pay him, will he keep progressing (or will he regress like others have in CBJ land)?

I hope that JK and Torts will have a good read on the kind of player he is and will negotiate accordingly. My take is that he is not going to be a guy that regresses but who knows?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
One of the pros of signing Jones longer term at a bit of a discount is that it probably enhances possible trade value. While I'm not as enamored with him as most are on this board, it's obvious that has some significant talent. I doubt that he would become very hard to trade over the next half decade. It's one of the reasons that the front office's insistence on a bridge with Johansen made so little sense to me. As with Jones, Johansen wasn't going to lose much trade value over the first few years of a longer term deal. Having a young asset signed at a bit of a discount would seem to enhance the market value of that player.

Still, with cap issues staring this team in the fact, it's probably a best overall strategy to 2 year bridge him, shed some salaries and get two more years to really decide whether this kid is all most think he's cracked up to be.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
I expect a bridge deal, but with term siginificantly higher than Murray. Murray would be higher too if he hadn't had the injury history. I'd guess 2 years $8 mil.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
One of the pros of signing Jones longer term at a bit of a discount is that it probably enhances possible trade value. While I'm not as enamored with him as most are on this board, it's obvious that has some significant talent. I doubt that he would become very hard to trade over the next half decade. It's one of the reasons that the front office's insistence on a bridge with Johansen made so little sense to me. As with Jones, Johansen wasn't going to lose much trade value over the first few years of a longer term deal. Having a young asset signed at a bit of a discount would seem to enhance the market value of that player.

Still, with cap issues staring this team in the fact, it's probably a best overall strategy to 2 year bridge him, shed some salaries and get two more years to really decide whether this kid is all most think he's cracked up to be.

This is what I think they will do, for better or for worse. They may not have much choice due to the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad