GDT: Game 58: Columbus vs. Boston | 2/16 7PM EST

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is what I think they will do, for better or for worse. They may not have much choice due to the cap.

I still think this is nonsense. Players like Jones are too important, you don't bridge them just because you're a bit tight to the cap in a given year. You make space to deal with your higher priorities. Folks are acting like we are in a unique crisis this year with the cap. This is something that roughly half of the league does on a routine basis. We could very well be in this situation again in a couple years, and then we won't have the flexibility we have today because we'll have to focus on winning in the present.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I still think this is nonsense. Players like Jones are too important, you don't bridge them just because you're a bit tight to the cap in a given year. You make space to deal with your higher priorities. Folks are acting like we are in a unique crisis this year with the cap. This is something that roughly half of the league does on a routine basis. We could very well be in this situation again in a couple years, and then we won't have the flexibility we have today because we'll have to focus on winning in the present.

I don't disagree with you but given our FO's proclivity for bridge deals and our current cap situation it would not surprise me to see him bridged. I'd prefer something like 6(ish)x8 though. He should be a bankable commodity.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jones has done nothing to warrant an 8 year deal. Those are deals which are the term for great players. Jones is not even close to that. Not in the same zip code. Not in the same area code. Not in the same time zone.

A long term deal-6 years- at a deep discount is the best he could expect from a rational front office.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
From the Jackets perspective, 8 years should be more appealing than 6. Those UFA years are where the long term deal saves most of the money over the alternative.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Jones has done nothing to warrant an 8 year deal. Those are deals which are the term for great players. Jones is not even close to that. Not in the same zip code. Not in the same area code. Not in the same time zone.

A long term deal-6 years- at a deep discount is the best he could expect from a rational front office.

I don't think a club who traded their "1C" straight up for a "1D" wanting to lock the guy up long term through his prime is out of the question.
Besides, lots of non-great players get "like" 8 year deals, heck, JJ got a 7 year deal in 2010. Nick Leddy just got a 7 year deal as well. If Dougie Hamilton can get 5.75x6, I don't see Jones being that far away. Jones statistically is down compared to those players, but he is also younger.

a rational front office
Welp, nevermind then.

This is the site I used.
http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/defenseman/

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't think a club who traded their "1C" straight up for a "1D" wanting to lock the guy up long term through his prime is out of the question.

It's way premature to give Jones that label.

I'm not real familiar with Leddy. However, he got his long term deal after a bridge and is 3 years older than Jones and appears to be much more proven.

I don't see anybody in Calgary jumping up and down over Hamilton's contract at this point.

If Johansen was a "show me and we'll pay you kind of guy" to what passes as a FO, then Jones fits into that category as well. He's simply not very accomplished at this point. His game on Tuesday was, quite frankly, dreadful. Nowhere near an 8 year commitment type of player.

Jones has shown me nothing that would remotely suggest that the CBJ would get burned by going the bridge route like Montreal did when they screwed up with Subban. Jones is never going to be a $9 million/year type of player.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
It's way premature to give Jones that label.

I'm not real familiar with Leddy. However, he got his long term deal after a bridge and is 3 years older than Jones and appears to be much more proven.

I don't see anybody in Calgary jumping up and down over Hamilton's contract at this point.

If Johansen was a "show me and we'll pay you kind of guy" to what passes as a FO, then Jones fits into that category as well. He's simply not very accomplished at this point. His game on Tuesday was, quite frankly, dreadful. Nowhere near an 8 year commitment type of player.

Jones has shown me nothing that would remotely suggest that the CBJ would get burned by going the bridge route like Montreal did when they screwed up with Subban. Jones is never going to be a $9 million/year type of player.

The quotes were used as scare quotes.
http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/quotation-marks.html#scarequotes

I was just looking for possible, comparable long term contracts and picked a couple of examples. There are plenty of others to choose from though.

As for the bolded, I don't necessarily think the FO was just talking about point totals. Jones has none of the issues, perceived to be real or not, that Joey had.
In relation to today's $9MM hockey player you are right, He lacks the offensive output that those guys have. But, who knows what a $9MM hockey player will look like in 5 years?

And to keep it on topic, you are also right about his last game, not good.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad