GDT: Game 58: Columbus at New York Rangers 2/22 7:30PM EST | FSO

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Why not now? Wiz has had this coming all season and Richards finally grew a pair and did it. That's really all it comes down to.

Finally read the first page or two based on the scratch. This post cracks me up. Had it coming all season eh? I don't think so. Wiz was just coming off a 5 point game streak and is an even player for the month. He's been an even player since the start of November.

I won't comment on if the scratching was deserved; let's just say after this Richards needs to be consistent. There have been other players that have been very deserving of a night off and didn't get scratched.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Finally read the first page or two based on the scratch. This post cracks me up. Had it coming all season eh? I don't think so. Wiz was just coming off a 5 point game streak and is an even player for the month. He's been an even player since the start of November.

I won't comment on if the scratching was deserved; let's just say after this Richards needs to be consistent. There have been other players that have been very deserving of a night off and didn't get scratched.

Like Jack, for instance, who has been terrible the last two nights.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Nice effort, but in the big picture a useless point. If you really believe that we are still in the play-off hunt then these games have got to be two point games. If you believe we should go for a draft pick, then the one point does you no good.

So in the big picture a useless point.

Nice comeback none-the-less.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 9s9 seconds ago
#CBJ coach Todd Richards on Wisniewski scratch: "We want him to be better. I'm not going to get into it with you guys."

There's something amiss here. "We want him to be better." is a satisfactory answer. "I'm not going to get into it with you guys." means there's something about this that I don't want to to tell you. Deflecting. Like maybe Wiz did or said something that didn't sit well with TR or the org. Maybe in Montreal. I don't know anything obviously and could be way off base as usual, but something about the second part of that quote...

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
There's something amiss here. "We want him to be better." is a satisfactory answer. "I'm not going to get into it with you guys." means there's something about this that I don't want to to tell you. Deflecting. Like maybe Wiz did or said something that didn't sit well with TR or the org. Maybe in Montreal. I don't know anything obviously and could be way off base as usual, but something about the second part of that quote...

Chances that it comes out? Slim to none?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, Joey had two long scoring stretches. So what? He has also had droughts. That is the point. With the exception of a few all players have streaks, hot & cold. The better players have, such as Joey, have more hot than cold. But they still have cold. Cam was not the only person Jacket who missed in the shoot out. St. Joey missed a wide open net. To borrow phrase from Marvin Gaye, "it takes two".

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
my guess is what I've stated more than a few times...wiz went out for his birthday, had too many drinks, played like **** in MTL, he got scratched for his antics that were "conduct detrimental to the team" etc etc etc....

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Major, from where did you get any idea about what I think about Anisimov? He was not mentioned in any part of my posts. Do I think he is streaky. Certainly.

I am simply tired of the Cam bashing and the Joey worship. Is Joey better than Cam? Absolutely. Would I take Joey over Cam in a draft? Absolutely. Joey is destined to be one of the top players in the league, no question. Cam is merely a secondary scorer. But a good team needs both superstars and secondary scoring.

By the way, in that shoot out situation where we were down by one and we were up to our third man, I would have used Artie last night. He was on his game and is more of a veteran than Cam. But as usual, TR shows he is not one of the top in-game coaches.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Major, from where did you get any idea about what I think about Anisimov? He was not mentioned in any part of my posts. Do I think he is streaky. Certainly.

I am simply tired of the Cam bashing and the Joey worship. Is Joey better than Cam? Absolutely. Would I take Joey over Cam in a draft? Absolutely. Joey is destined to be one of the top players in the league, no question. Cam is merely a secondary scorer. But a good team needs both superstars and secondary scoring.

By the way, in that shoot out situation where we were down by one and we were up to our third man, I would have used Artie last night. He was on his game and is more of a veteran than Cam. But as usual, TR shows he is not one of the top in-game coaches.

Not to mention Arty was automatic for awhile on the shootout with that sick top shelf backhand move

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Would have liked to see Arty get that third shootout attempt the way he had played, but I was more disappointed with the cross bar cling Johansen gave us.. he's gotta be automatic for us - and usually is.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
TR seems to be making a lot of questionable moves lately that have game ending implications.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
TR going to get some heat over that scratching of Wiz. Cotton and Leopold were terrible, god awful to be honest. Leopold looked clueless on that first goal.

We played our best hockey of the season on this road trip. We didn't take a night off and played our game for the longest stretch of games this season. I'm still overall pretty happy with the personnel we have, and the prospects we are developing.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...We played our best hockey of the season on this road trip. We didn't take a night off and played our game for the longest stretch of games this season. I'm still overall pretty happy with the personnel we have, and the prospects we are developing.

I agree, this team finally seems headed in the right direction. Much left to do - tighten defense, reduce shots against, add more scoring (especially a big-time, top line right wing), develop young prospects, etc. - but recent efforts have been quite encouraging, overall.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
TR going to get some heat over that scratching of Wiz. Cotton and Leopold were terrible, god awful to be honest. Leopold looked clueless on that first goal.

We played our best hockey of the season on this road trip. We didn't take a night off and played our game for the longest stretch of games this season. I'm still overall pretty happy with the personnel we have, and the prospects we are developing.

Just because Wiz was a healthy scratch doesn't necessarily mean he's low man on the totom pole, perhaps it means TR has the most hope that he could benefit from sitting for a game and will step up his play more so than the others would? Coaching is part psychology and reading players and the chemistry of the team. You don't just number your players 1 through 18 based on performance and that's who you play each night.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
probably my favorite adv stats chart...just wow at 42-56-71 and their play

B-iUYPxCIAAZYiC.png

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
TR seems to be making a lot of questionable moves lately that have game ending implications.

This team plays a lot of bad hockey which have game/season ending implications.

Listen I don't really care if Richards comes back next season, outside of Joey and Bob I don't care who comes back - as long as we get a decent return for them. There is no use in being "almost playoff worthy". This roster is littered with guys who are good solid NHL players. Maybe in good year that's good enough for 5th-6th place in the East. Maybe in an average year that good enough for 8th/ninth in the East. This year (injuries) it's good enough for a good draft pick. Ownership/management needs to evaluate the roster trade the guys who won't be back next season, and evaluate the guys who could be back to see what they could get us.

Simply making the NHL playoffs is the goal of an average to slightly below average hockey team (16 out of 30 teams get in). That should not be the goal. The commitment to mediocrity has always been strong with this franchise, and right now too many fans look at the roster and say if healthy we could be good enough. We're not close to a championship team. That is the goal. Not getting to the playoffs or being competitive.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
This team plays a lot of bad hockey which have game/season ending implications.

Listen I don't really care if Richards comes back next season, outside of Joey and Bob I don't care who comes back - as long as we get a decent return for them. There is no use in being "almost playoff worthy". This roster is littered with guys who are good solid NHL players. Maybe in good year that's good enough for 5th-6th place in the East. Maybe in an average year that good enough for 8th/ninth in the East. This year (injuries) it's good enough for a good draft pick. Ownership/management needs to evaluate the roster trade the guys who won't be back next season, and evaluate the guys who could be back to see what they could get us.

Simply making the NHL playoffs is the goal of an average to slightly below average hockey team (16 out of 30 teams get in). That should not be the goal. The commitment to mediocrity has always been strong with this franchise, and right now too many fans look at the roster and say if healthy we could be good enough. We're not close to a championship team. That is the goal. Not getting to the playoffs or being competitive.

Nobody's goal is to JUST make the playoffs, the goal, as you could see from the 2012 LA Kings, is that if you get in, anything can happen!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Chances that it comes out? Slim to none?

I'd think, yeah.

my guess is what I've stated more than a few times...wiz went out for his birthday, had too many drinks, played like **** in MTL, he got scratched for his antics that were "conduct detrimental to the team" etc etc etc....

Didn't see this before. It's plausible and fits the scenario I was thinking above. I like it!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We gained a point on Florida last night, there is far too much hockey to give up now. 5 out of 8 points against those teams in those buildings is solid. Don't give up yet, the players aren't, why should you?

It's over, it's hopeless. 11 out with 24 to play. It's not happening. This team is a middling .500 club, and the October/November nightmare put the team too far behind. Hell, going 10-1-1 in December gained them all of one or two points on the 8 spot. Tank it up for all I care and get a top 5 pick.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
It's over, it's hopeless. 11 out with 24 to play. It's not happening. This team is a middling .500 club, and the October/November nightmare put the team too far behind. Hell, going 10-1-1 in December gained them all of one or two points on the 8 spot. Tank it up for all I care and get a top 5 pick.

Good, so how about you stop watching, stop going to the games and stop wasting your time on threads that pertain to this season then? Go watch thugball if you don't stick with your team until the end!

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

The reason we only gained a point or two in december is because the teams we were chasing were also on the same kind of runs. Right now Boston and Florida are on the down slide, yesterday was a fluke, Chicago is terrible right now, Boston isn't any good, don't let yesterday fool you. They will keep falling and we are going to catch them!

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Agree absolutely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad