Post-Game Talk: GAME #58: Canucks 0 @ Ducks 1: Sorry, scoring had gone away...

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Two awful teams who'll be golfing by early April. Without Edler and now possibly without Tanev, this Canuck blueline is AHL-quality.

So for a tankist, this is a perfect result. Lose to one of few teams in the NHL that are actually worse. Hopefully the swoon continues, and Benning will be forced to be a seller.

Nothing will force Benning to be a seller. Its just not how this group works.

Its literally taken the draft being in Vancouver for them to decide acquiring/holding onto draft picks might be a good idea.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yup. This is what our team looks like if you trade Tanev OR Edler.

This is what happens when you spend an entire draft's worth of picks and don't acquire a single legitimate top-4 NHL defender, and also draft way too few quality defenders. It's not like help is on it's way currently excelling down on the farm in large quantities.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lol Shut out by the freakin Ducks, Embarrassing. Power play is 1 for the last 22. Leivo not clicking on PP (great 5 on 5, struggles on pp) Goldy should slot in on the first unit. Pp shouldn’t be this bad with EP, Boeser & Horvat on it.
Doesn’t help the power play that the only offensive D on the team are just plain offensive.;)

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Can’t win em all but we were the far better team and that counts as a moral victory that the boys can feel good about if they stick to playing like that they will win their share of games. The last minute has me convinced without a shadow of a doubt that Quinn Hughes will transform the team with his zone entries alone. Right now we are dumping the puck in with a minute left to go down a goal and it’s not working.
Petterson threw the puck in 3 times blindly just giving it to the ducks

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Petterson threw the puck in 3 times blindly just giving it to the ducks

I noticed that and wonder if it was the play the coaches drew up for them. I don’t think it’s Petey’s First instinct to flip that coin 3 times in a row but I could be wrong.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just as well. We were the better team, but damn i hope we don't make the playoffs. All of our hope is on young guns. They need at least one , if not 2 years of seasoning.

Johnny canucker is just plain annoying. Stop falling for his posts. He sure as hell isn't a canuck fan.

Our D certainly is a prob. But we have Hughes, Juolevi and Tryamkin to add. We have 5 -6 maybes as well, like Sautner Brisebois McEney ... we really might have an NHL team in 1 -2 years.

We have done way better than predicted, and that's with a goaltending disaster after Marky.

May the horrible bloody lottery gods finally have sympathy on VCR and we get Hughes or Kakko 0r Cozens ......

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
We just got beat by a team with no coach, and a goalie who had never started in the NHL.

And when I say beat, I mean shut out.

By a goalie who has never started in the NHL.

And when I say that, I mean it was against a team with something like a minus 54 goal differential.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I noticed that and wonder if it was the play the coaches drew up for them. I don’t think it’s Petey’s First instinct to flip that coin 3 times in a row but I could be wrong.
I think it's the PP coach, they've been dead last in the league since jan.18 and he plays every one from Granlund to Schaller over Virtanen on the PP all season long.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Canucks inability to transition really kills any ability to forecheck! If we are gonna clamour together over Big Mac type players in this lineup then use them for what they are made for! Getting in on the forecheck and punishing some defenceman!
Canucks PP still needs work! Nice to see someone get a slap shot from the point thru tonight but the lack of net front presence on this team is just annoying! Horvat isn’t a net front guy! Get him into the bumper and try to get some centre pressure on the PP instead of constantly forcing the one timers! If the umbrella is their set up why the hell is Leivo floating around the slot! Use his big ass infront of the damn NET!!! Get some screens! Also why can’t any defenceman find a lane for a low wrist shot into the goalies feet? Seriously he’s a god damn rookie tender and they had zero rebound chances! They created no second opportunities all night!

The Canucks need to learn how to dump and chase properly. Using Petey to dump the puck is exactly the wrong thing to do though! Lines 2-4 need to learn soft dumps into the corner and win a god damn board battle!

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Everyone has games in hand on us.

If we can't get points against a team that won 2 of 20 games then I don't know what reason there is to pay attention to the playoff race anymore. Unless you think this team is magically going go on a heater & beat a bunch of good teams.

They played well tonight, could’ve easily won the game with a single bounce or two. I think the hockey gods wanted Anaheim to win this for Julie “The Cat” Gaffney tonight. Yes I think the Canucks have shown they can beat any team in the league or at least play winning hockey against any team in the league. All we need is a nice 4-5+ game win streak and our chances of playoffs will skyrocket. Hoping Edler is back soon because he’s such a huge part of the group and we need him badly.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Everyone has games in hand on us.

If we can't get points against a team that won 2 of 20 games then I don't know what reason there is to pay attention to the playoff race anymore. Unless you think this team is magically going go on a heater & beat a bunch of good teams.
It’s not like they got dominated but the Ducks. They deserved to win and ran into a hot goalie. Not that embarrassing

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Just as well. We were the better team, but damn i hope we don't make the playoffs. All of our hope is on young guns. They need at least one , if not 2 years of seasoning.

Johnny canucker is just plain annoying. Stop falling for his posts. He sure as hell isn't a canuck fan.

Our D certainly is a prob. But we have Hughes, Juolevi and Tryamkin to add. We have 5 -6 maybes as well, like Sautner Brisebois McEney ... we really might have an NHL team in 1 -2 years.

We have done way better than predicted, and that's with a goaltending disaster after Marky.

May the horrible bloody lottery gods finally have sympathy on VCR and we get Hughes or Kakko 0r Cozens ......
Joulevi has yet to prove he can play above the AHL level and I’m afraid my Tryamkin sweater is going to become a curiosity.

Reactions: timw33 and DarrenX

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
They played well tonight, could’ve easily won the game with a single bounce or two. I think the hockey gods wanted Anaheim to win this for Julie “The Cat” Gaffney tonight. Yes I think the Canucks have shown they can beat any team in the league or at least play winning hockey against any team in the league. All we need is a nice 4-5+ game win streak and our chances of playoffs will skyrocket. Hoping Edler is back soon because he’s such a huge part of the group and we need him badly.
Bounces? Lol this team literally did everything in its power to gift that shutout to Boyle! Zero people in the lanes! No one screening! No second opportunities on any shot! If anything Boyle should be thanking the Canucks for being such a shit team in front of the net for this one. The Ducks didn’t really even need to defend. They did more of their defending in the offensive zone not allowing the Canucks to transition with the 2 forechecker game plan that constantly kills Vancouver.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Canucks inability to transition really kills any ability to forecheck! If we are gonna clamour together over Big Mac type players in this lineup then use them for what they are made for! Getting in on the forecheck and punishing some defenceman!
Canucks PP still needs work! Nice to see someone get a slap shot from the point thru tonight but the lack of net front presence on this team is just annoying! Horvat isn’t a net front guy! Get him into the bumper and try to get some centre pressure on the PP instead of constantly forcing the one timers! If the umbrella is their set up why the hell is Leivo floating around the slot! Use his big ass infront of the damn NET!!! Get some screens! Also why can’t any defenceman find a lane for a low wrist shot into the goalies feet? Seriously he’s a god damn rookie tender and they had zero rebound chances! They created no second opportunities all night!

The Canucks need to learn how to dump and chase properly. Using Petey to dump the puck is exactly the wrong thing to do though! Lines 2-4 need to learn soft dumps into the corner and win a god damn board battle!

I would like to see them try Erik Gudbranson as the net front presence similar to when Boston successfully did it with Zdeno Chara, another big bodied defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad