Post-Game Talk: GAME #58: Canucks 0 @ Ducks 1: Sorry, scoring had gone away...

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
time for jb to sell at the deadline now. injuries to tanev/edler has finally sealed any hopes of playoffs. not that they were gonna make it anyways.

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I am absolutely fine with this team drafting 6-10th. As long as we get a top 10 pick I’m thrilled because it means we took a step forward , got another high draft pick and our young guys like Boeser , Pettersson etc took steps forward . Next year you add in Hughes and Dahlen plus Juolevi and hopefully another high draft pick and this team is that much closer to contention

I think next season we could be a dark horse team but we need a couple top 4 defenseman in the offseason and 2 top 9 forwards

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Watching replay, I'll give Guddy some credit for fighting Getzlaf. Honestly didn't think he had it in him. Doesn't make up for the fact he hasn't stood up for EP once. He's come in for Jakey once and Boeser once now. Makes you wonder what his decision process is.

Since he's screwed up the whole time, he has a lot of work to do IMO. He has to step up every time now. Which is probably why he didn't want to do it before.

For Boeser? Ive missed this. When was it and against who?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I am absolutely fine with this team drafting 6-10th. As long as we get a top 10 pick I’m thrilled because it means we took a step forward , got another high draft pick and our young guys like Boeser , Pettersson etc took steps forward . Next year you add in Hughes and Dahlen plus Juolevi and hopefully another high draft pick and this team is that much closer to contention

I think next season we could be a dark horse team but we need a couple top 4 defenseman in the offseason and 2 top 9 forwards

1) Juolevi sucks.
2) “another step forward” = another year older for everyone including Tanev / Edler
3) your hopes are on Dahlen / Hughes to be a “contender”... neither has played an NHL game.
4) next year ALL we need according to you is JUST

Top 9 forward
Top 9 forward
Top 4 defensman
Top 4 defensman.

Does it ever rain where you live or is it constantly sunny?

Reactions: B-rock

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Sell what? In order to sell something you need a buyer that would want to buy something that you have. What do we have of value?

Benning caught once again with his pants down. The usual suspects in regards to trade bait are all injured yet again at the deadline and he only has waiver wire fodder like Granlund and Pouliot to offer up which no one will want. I doubt we do anything at the deadline.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning caught once again with his pants down. The usual suspects in regards to trade bait are all injured yet again at the deadline and he only has waiver wire fodder like Granlund and Pouliot to offer up which no one will want. I doubt we do anything at the deadline.
Benning....dummy..its his fault the trade bait got injured..?..Should've planned farther ahead.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I would like to see them try Erik Gudbranson as the net front presence similar to when Boston successfully did it with Zdeno Chara, another big bodied defenseman

Absolutely terrible idea.

If he's bad at a role he's been playing for years, training specifically at, the idea of sending him into completely new one that require zero skills he possesses aside from being a big body; that's just dumb. There's reasons it happens maybe once every 5 years in the NHL.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Not sure why they don’t just try it. The more I think about it the more I think it would be great for Gudbransons confidence to be on the power play and it would help him develop his all around game. He’s good at clearing his crease so it should follow that he should also be good at stopping the opposing Dmen from clearing their crease. His big body would be a screen. And he can use that assignment to practice tipping pucks. I say why not give it a try.

Not sure why ?

This isn't pond hockey. Positioning, set plays, defensive tasks as a forward are all extremely different for a defenseman.

Not to mention, he hasn't shown any ability at winning puck battles in front of his own net, nor having any offensive instincts whatsoever. He's not mobile to rotate/cycle. The list goes on and on. It's just dumb.

Reactions: Zombotron

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Benning....dummy..its his fault the trade bait got injured..?..Should've planned farther ahead.

Yes because much of the trade bait should have already been traded....

For a guy supposedly so competent at his job he has an unbelievable knack for buying high and selling low or not even being able to sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sounds like I made the correct decision and went to bed after the second period. Everything I've read has basically said nothing happened in the third worth talking about.

Lost 5 of the last 6. 6 of the last 8.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Absolutely terrible idea.

If he's bad at a role he's been playing for years, training specifically at, the idea of sending him into completely new one that require zero skills he possesses aside from being a big body; that's just dumb. There's reasons it happens maybe once every 5 years in the NHL.

It’s insane to me that some people think that you only need to be big to be a good netfront presence and that it doesn’t take a lot of skill as well.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Sell what? In order to sell something you need a buyer that would want to buy something that you have. What do we have of value?
Hey we traded Delzotto,so it's not as bad as you think.Guddy can and should be traded,Granlund ,Goldobin,
Schaller,Leivo and Pouliot should be sent to the moon.If Tanev is out for any time...its time to sell off some of these guys.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Watching replay, I'll give Guddy some credit for fighting Getzlaf. Honestly didn't think he had it in him. Doesn't make up for the fact he hasn't stood up for EP once. He's come in for Jakey once and Boeser once now. Makes you wonder what his decision process is.

Since he's screwed up the whole time, he has a lot of work to do IMO. He has to step up every time now. Which is probably why he didn't want to do it before.
I dont think its too hard to figure out if you take into account the code and having a dance partner and the timing of the hits and seeing what happened even.

You cant just start jumping guys and assaulting them and the list of players willing to fight EG44 is pretty small

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Oh hello there, just passing through after last night. I don't know if you guys are mad about the loss or if you're on Team Tank, but I just thought I'd pop by and say that Elias Pettersson is freaking awesome and I am extremely jealous. Was an absolute treat to watch him live

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Fell asleep before the third period and woke up for the three stars. Congratulations to the Ducks goaltender who had a great game.

My only thought I remember from the sheer malaise of this game was being impressed how a team that lost 19 of their last 21 stood up for each other. There was one particular play where three Ducks jumped Gudbranson and was impressed because virtually no one had stood up for Pettersson like that this season. Like the grit the Canucks showed last night and if that continues, this will be positive.

The Canucks strolled into Anaheim thinking it would be an easy win but forgot they're not good enough to do that.

Completely meh game. Liked watching the Anaheim goaltender who looked terrified at the beginning of the game.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
1) Juolevi sucks.
2) “another step forward” = another year older for everyone including Tanev / Edler
3) your hopes are on Dahlen / Hughes to be a “contender”... neither has played an NHL game.
4) next year ALL we need according to you is JUST

Top 9 forward
Top 9 forward
Top 4 defensman
Top 4 defensman.

Does it ever rain where you live or is it constantly sunny?

1.) let’s give Juolevi a chance , the guy played extremely well in the AHL before he got hurt and he is only 20. Still. 13 points in his first 18 career AHL games is pretty darn good in my view and his overall game will improve with time . Juolevi will be a solid top 4 Defenceman so saying he sucks ar age 20 is just silly

2.) Yes Hughes and Dahlen haven’t played a game but we know Hughes is the real deal and we know the magic Dahlen and Pettersson have together .

3.) would it be easier if I said two top 6 forwards but you know how hard that will be for us ?? Let alone getting two top 4 Defenceman ? Next year Gaudette will have a full year of pro hockey under his belt , So will Dahlen etc so both of them will be ready to contribute in the top 9 and you add two top 6/ top 9 forwards and also add in the fact if we can get a top 5 player in the draft if the lottery balls fall our way that will go a long way .

4.) You know Benning likes to make that big splash in Free Agency so you know it’s almost certain he will splurge on a player or players in free agency if they hit the open market like Panarin , Duchene , Karlsson , Stone etc and I bet you the Canucks get one of these guys forsure if all 4 hit the open market because VANCOUVER is a team on the uprise .

5.) just to clarify I meant if all of this falls into place we could be a dark horse I never said Stanley Cup consenter I meant dark horse like the Buffalo Sabres of this year , the Colorado Avalanche Of 2018 or the Toronto Maple Leafs Of 2017.

There’s lots to be excited about next year , Another year of improved production for Pettersson , Boeser , Horvat etc You have to think Virtanen is another step closer to becoming that solid power forward 20/20 / 40 point player we know he can be, Dahlen and Hughes arrive for more offensive and Juolevi who once healthy will be a solid top 4 defenseman , A potential top 5 pick , a solid bottom 6 of Roussel, Leivo, Beagle , Granlund, Gaudette etc plus a full offseason to improve the roster .

There is lots of reasons to be optimistic next season. I’m not saying we will be a playoff contender but a dark horse forsure

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
It’s insane to me that some people think that you only need to be big to be a good netfront presence and that it doesn’t take a lot of skill as well.

Hmm it seems like a lot of the greats of the past used to smoke and drink a lot, have we thought about a teamwide policy of 2 packs a day?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad