Post-Game Talk: GAME #58: Canucks 0 @ Ducks 1: Sorry, scoring had gone away...

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
They played well tonight, could’ve easily won the game with a single bounce or two. I think the hockey gods wanted Anaheim to win this for Julie “The Cat” Gaffney tonight. Yes I think the Canucks have shown they can beat any team in the league or at least play winning hockey against any team in the league. All we need is a nice 4-5+ game win streak and our chances of playoffs will skyrocket. Hoping Edler is back soon because he’s such a huge part of the group and we need him badly.

I'm off the playoff bandwagon. The PP has completely fallen apart & we have next to no secondary scoring. The defense can't transition the puck (that was very evident tonight, especially in the third) and we have 1 good winger.

We need as high a draft pick as possible (Kakko would an amazing addition) & a new president to control hockey ops IMO.

It’s not like they got dominated but the Ducks. They deserved to win and ran into a hot goalie. Not that embarrassing

One of the easiest 35 saves shutouts I've ever seen. Most shots were right into the crest & in the third when they needed a goal they went 5 mins where they couldn't get the puck across the red line without turning it over.

Not simply a case of running into a hot goalie, he played well, but aside from Pete & Brock they didn't generate as much as the shots make it seem.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I would like to see them try Erik Gudbranson as the net front presence similar to when Boston successfully did it with Zdeno Chara, another big bodied defenseman
Chara is a highly underrated net front guy! He’s not just big, he finds ways to rip pucks, create space and take two defenders usually! Gudbranson seems like he’d lay down for a block thinking he was at the other end of the ice

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Chara is a highly underrated net front guy! He’s not just big, he finds ways to rip pucks, create space and take two defenders usually! Gudbranson seems like he’d lay down for a block thinking he was at the other end of the ice

Not sure why they don’t just try it. The more I think about it the more I think it would be great for Gudbransons confidence to be on the power play and it would help him develop his all around game. He’s good at clearing his crease so it should follow that he should also be good at stopping the opposing Dmen from clearing their crease. His big body would be a screen. And he can use that assignment to practice tipping pucks. I say why not give it a try.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not sure why they don’t just try it. The more I think about it the more I think it would be great for Gudbransons confidence to be on the power play and it would help him develop his all around game. He’s good at clearing his crease so it should follow that he should also be good at stopping the opposing Dmen from clearing their crease. His big body would be a screen. And he can use that assignment to practice tipping pucks. I say why not give it a try.
Instead of wasting a draft pick on a rent a goalie why couldn’t Benning have hired a Sumo wrestler to suit up as a goalie or failing that, be that big net presence in front of the other net? He’ll weigh so much, nobody will be able to move him, not even Character.

Reactions: mstad101

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Why? Because he’s a god awful hockey player who lacks fundamental stick use! He’s great at laying lumber on opposing forwards. Not so much the puck. His hand eye is utter trash and his shot is more muffin than Weise’s who I used to literally call, the Muffin Man! Yet he’s 6’5! The velocity from that height/weight combo should be unreal! It’s not

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks weren't that good but still outplayed the woeful Ducks. Should have won but Boyle was outstanding and also got some bounces. Can't believe how terrible Perry and Kesler are. Even Rakell was bad. Anaheim looks to be in for years of futility. Completely laden down with miserable contracts providing zero cap space and already rotten.

Good

Pettersson - not perfect but still almost single handedly got the team a point with some very good shifts.

Biega - pushed the play all game and, despite size, was the most hard nosed in his end.

Stecher - I think has officially replaced Hutton on the point on the PP. Much better at putting the puck into teammates wheel house. Hutton wasn't bad but so often he briefly stumbles and over-handles the puck. Lack of smoothness allows the defense to set up and takes away much of his offensive potential. Right now Stecher is probable the best defenseman on the team that is playing

Roussel - good forecheck and created some good chance with speed off the rushes

Markstrom - gave team every chance to win

Bad

Levio - showed no ability to convert chances provided. Frustrating in this game

Virtanen - little harsh seeing he got nailed by Getlaff (who also appeared to slash Tanev) but he did next to nothing all game. Showed next to no vision or touch with the puck

Others

Gudbranson - stepped up and went after Getlaff so kudos for that. Overall not very good in his end and even without Tanev saw little ice.

Guadette - thought he looked fairly good. Really does have speed but its's a matter of finding how best to use him.

MacEwen - again had a couple of good shifts but also could see how raw he is in terms of positioning. Needs to stay in the line up.

Horvat - at this point you can say - great 1st half to the season, so-so in the second half

Pouliot - tend to rip on this player (with justification I think) but he was decent in this game and been a tad better lately.

Tank-wise the game was a step in the right direction but don't see how we can bottom out more than teams like the Ducks and the Oilers. If Tanev is out any length of time then maybe we can. Might actually see Brisebois on the road trip (and I don't think he is close to ready)

Reactions: DarrenX

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is a game where Goldy should have played, no matter how many times he turned the puck over in the last game. A team dying for offense benches it's fourth leading scorer and a guy who's particularly good on the pp, which went 0--4. Canucks have now been shutout a league high seven times, and the coach is at least partially responsible.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Why? Because he’s a god awful hockey player who lacks fundamental stick use! He’s great at laying lumber on opposing forwards. Not so much the puck. His hand eye is utter trash and his shot is more muffin than Weise’s who I used to literally call, the Muffin Man! Yet he’s 6’5! The velocity from that height/weight combo should be unreal! It’s not

Why are we talking about the velocity of his shot as a net front presence? I’m just saying don’t knock it until you try it. I think it would be very successful

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I wish our bottom 6 would have looked something like this all year.

Gaudette centering one of the 2 lines and a rotating cast of who ever is hot in Utica getting a call up on one of the wings.

Zack MacEwen is an upgrade on Eriksson, Schaller, Sutter etc. Hope they keep him around.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I wish our bottom 6 would have looked something like this all year.

Gaudette centering one of the 2 lines and a rotating cast of who ever is hot in Utica getting a call up on one of the wings.

Zack MacEwen is an upgrade on Eriksson, Schaller, Sutter etc. Hope they keep him around.

Sample size is insufficient to declare ZM an upgrade on anyone right now

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Such an idea would require innovative coaching, something this team simply does not have...

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Watching replay, I'll give Guddy some credit for fighting Getzlaf. Honestly didn't think he had it in him. Doesn't make up for the fact he hasn't stood up for EP once. He's come in for Jakey once and Boeser once now. Makes you wonder what his decision process is.

Since he's screwed up the whole time, he has a lot of work to do IMO. He has to step up every time now. Which is probably why he didn't want to do it before.

Reactions: Peen

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

To be fair, I rip Guddy as much as anyone and I still want to see him on the PP. He used to have a great shot, I think he doesn't use it now because he already knows he is generally behind the play. He doesn't want to chase the puck if he misses the net.

Putting him in front would prevent the almost inevitable standing up at the blueline a la Edler considering his footspeed. So why not try it? Whoever is not the D-man, Boeser, EP, or Horvat hasn't really fit in so why not rotate Horvat out and put Guddy in front? Not like we are lighting it up like earlier in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad