GDT: Game 57: New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils - 7pm ET, MSGSN, MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
What are all the other teams doing right? We’re games in hand from being top 2 in the league, we’ve got an 8 game win streak, but “it’s the worst 8 game streak”, we’re ok but we have bad periods, etc. How are the other top teams all playing 60 great minutes yet still losing more than we do?

Could it be that NO teams play perfect games? Could it be that in total we have a good team?
I don't lurk on other team's boards (only the mainboards because I consume the dark energy of all the Ranger hate there), so can't speak for them, but here, we KNOW that other teams, even with worse records, are probably better and more playoff *ready*. Can folks who think they know things for sure be wrong? Probably yes. I am a complete moron. But that is what the temp of the board is. And it isn't unfair to say; currently the team has two real lines (granted the 3rd line TRIES and we LOVE that).

When a team like Dallas, who we just beat via a 3rd period Igor clinic, has 3 lines that are nasty, you get a taste of what a contender with confidence looks like. If Dallas was a .500 team, with the lineup they have, I would still feel great about being a fan of them going into the playoffs. Of course, odds against the field are they won't win the Cup, but you can't not like going to battle with a group like that. If the Rangers were undefeated at this point of the year, I still wouldn't feel all that about them in the *playoffs*.

Truth of the matter though is that all of that is pointless because I haven't felt any emotion about anything since about 2005 (hockey or not) so ignore it all.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
What are all the other teams doing right? We’re games in hand from being top 2 in the league, we’ve got an 8 game win streak, but “it’s the worst 8 game streak”, we’re ok but we have bad periods, etc. How are the other top teams all playing 60 great minutes yet still losing more than we do?

Could it be that NO teams play perfect games? Could it be that in total we have a good team?
We have a very good team that often times plays bad hockey.

Other teams have worse talent but play more consistently . Not all, but many do, if you watch other teams around the league you’ll find that it IS actually possible to play a compete 60 minutes and it’s not actually a myth.

Some people on this board like to pretend that playing a compete solid game is not actually possible And the real issue is we have no talent.

But how many teams can say they have a Norris winner, a Vezina winner, a 50 goal scorer , a hart finalist , a 90 point 40 goal center, etc etc all in their prime .

The talent is there.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Its difficult to play 3 excellent periods every night because the other team is trying to win too. At the end of the day all that matters is who is winning at the end and we do that way more than we lose.
It’s not difficult to NOT play at least one abysmal horrible abortion of a period every game though and be forced to claw your way back all the time.

The Dallas game is the type of game they should be able to play every night. Not every period was as good as the 1st which was an A , but no bad periods and they always felt in control.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We have a very good team that often times plays bad hockey.

Other teams have worse talent but play more consistently . Not all, but many do, if you watch other teams around the league you’ll find that it IS actually possible to play a compete 60 minutes and it’s not actually a myth.

Some people on this board like to pretend that playing a compete solid game is not actually possible And the real issue is we have no talent.

But how many teams can say they have a Norris winner, a Vezina winner, a 50 goal scorer , a hart finalist , a 90 point 40 goal center, etc etc all in their prime .

The talent is there.
The talent is there, and the effort often lacks. Drives me nuts.

I would still want a B- talent consistently making an A+ effort than an A+ talent making a C- effort.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
How soon before Uncle Larry anoints Cuylle, Edstrom, Rempe and Othmann (and potentially other call-ups) the Black and Bluebloods 2.0?

Reactions: AirGut

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The talent is there, and the effort often lacks. Drives me nuts.

I would still want a B- talent consistently making an A+ effort than an A+ talent making a C- effort.
Some on this forum would have you think effort is a social construct.

But I maintain that this team is very talented but also lazy and stupid sometimes.

And the coaching staff are enablers.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have a feeling Berard is one of the piece’s available at the deadline or he’d have gotten a shot by now. They don’t like to introduce us to prospects they have available. Robertson is another.

Berard has done literally everything you could do down there. He should have gotten a call up
Got to remember that he’s a very late round draftee and these inherently carry very little trade value until their NHL status is validated with actual games at that level. Drury obviously would not want him to be a throw-in afterthought.

We know that Berard is more ready than Sykora (and they bring a lot of similarities in their games) but if I was another team’s GM I’d prefer an early 2nd rounder already playing in the AHL at earlier age.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiggles

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is the weirdest 8 game winning streak of all-time
I think there’re two factors:

1. The winning streak came right on the heels of the Rangers not playing too well for almost 2-month stretch so as fans we were a lot more apprehensive when it started
2. For the most parts the streak reflects improved defensive play including goaltending. These improvements are less exciting (even though probably more impactful looking out towards playoffs).

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Has it been confirmed who is out? Panarin, Vesey, both, neither?

Are we going to gamesmanship this shit so opponents might game plan for Panarin and then get railroaded by Vesey, Othmann and all other lines (lmao) when he’s Panarin sits? That would be very on brand

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Has it been confirmed who is out? Panarin, Vesey, both, neither?

Are we going to gamesmanship this shit so opponents might game plan for Panarin and then get railroaded by Vesey, Othmann and all other lines (lmao) when he’s Panarin sits? That would be very on brand
No morning skate and no media session. Reporters are saying they'll be talking to Laviolette at 5pm. He usually doesn't share these things anyway. Probably won't know until pre-game warmups.

With Othmann as the recall, I'd say Panarin is less likely than Vesey, although both are in the top 6 right now.

Reactions: romba

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kaapo is going to show (at least for one night) how HE should have been picked #1 by the Devils. Lol
kakko newark.jpg

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Should have let that NJ fan stay. He seemed sensible and fatalistic.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
D Hughes actively avoids all physical contact anyway and is horrific defensively because he refuses to fight for position or even get his body in the way. Debbie coaches should have some humility and have Hughes watch hours of Fox to see how a small dman can be one of the league's best.
L. Hughes & Nemec running for their lives on the forecheck from Rempe and Edstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad