Post-Game Talk: GAME #56: Canucks 4 vs. Flames 3 (S/O): Markstrom masterclass, EP gets his 50th point

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Something to remember re: Markstrom on waivers was how Benning only played him in one preseason game, and that was in some remote barn in northern California with no television cameras so opposing GMs couldn't scout Marky. And he was waived befire the end of preseason (iirc) to further reduce the risk of a claim. So yeah, of course there's some risk, but Benning deserves credit for mitigating as much of it as possible, and in hind sight Benning played his hand perfectly.

Keeping Markstrom up would have been a mistake at the time. Call it Frankie Corrado syndrom. Would Corrado have been better served clearing waivers and going to Utica to play in the top 4, or being claimed and sitting in TO's pressbox all season? Like Frankie, Marky needed to play, and to play against a lower level of competition.

But if we want to play the "what if" game, what if Nonis hadn't tried to get Gillis to take cap back on Luongo at the last minute? Instead of watching Horvat and Markstrom emerge as bona fide core players, we would have had the joys of spending the last five years watching Schneider and Lack play themselves out of the league. Just goes to show how big a role luck has on success in this league, and feeling the need to discredit Benning because he waived Marky when he needed development time is stoopid.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I was just about to report this post as a flame, and then ...
First of all, your actually the type of poster who reports posts lindgren? Disappointed

2ndly, I quoted myself , third of all, still losing steam...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
First of all, your actually the type of poster who reports posts lindgren? Disappointed

2ndly, I quoted myself , third of all, still losing steam...

Absolutely, I report posts: flames, trolls, etc. It's either that or respond in kind, which sends threads spiralling off into crap.

And I noticed you were quoting yourself, which was funny, which was the point of my post.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Markstrom was not good enough to be an NHL backup when the Canucks waived him. For a team to claim him, that team would have had to be in a position to run Markstrom as their backup. There was very little risk of him being claimed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Juolevi isn’t 24. If, by then, he’s playing like a poor man’s Pouliot I’d have no problems waiving him. Although I’ll admit, young defencemen and goalies are poor comparisons.

No team had space on their NHL roster for a player of Markstrom’s caliber at that time. Not even us.

Besides, there was no guarantee he was ever going to turn it around. The total rebuild of Markstrom is one of this regime’s few bright points.
Markstrom is 29, and has been in the Canucks organization for 5 years..Like the Sedins,looks like he has found the top of his game later in his career..His development has been a rocky road, but mentorship (Miller),and being patient with him have gone a long way..Some of the negatives here trying to spin this as a win for the Gillis regime is laughable...

Reactions: alternate

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm snowed in and doing the home game version of The Shining. I watched this game, don't remember a lot of it. Definitely slept through most of the 3rd period.

Pettersson is God in human form. He was even throwing hits and being gritty in the third period last night. There was a couple occasions I was concerned because he looked like a pencil being thrown at cows but the kid did manage to lay a Flame or two out.

I've never been a big Markstrom fan but he has really pushed himself to being this team's number one goaltender. You can't help but respect him after the efforts he's brought to the rink every night. I'm still not quite sure what we have in him but he's arguably the perfect goalie to have for this organization. Last night's game, as well as a couple other Herculean efforts with this team, have greatly earned my respect for him as NHL starting netminder.

Brock is what he is and he's great at what he is. He's a terrific sniper in the Kovalchuk/Brett Hull model. That's all he ever needs to be. Let him ride shotgun for Petterson for the next fifteen years and profit.

Pouliot is a tire fire and it is high charity to keep him in this league. Two of those goals last night were directly on him while he doesn't excel at much other than an occasional outlet pass. I hate to be such a hater but this team can't be taken seriously until the backend is overhauled. I think Stecher has taken leaps over the last two years to turn into an excellent under the radar top four defenseman. I think Hutton is adequate and eager. Even Gudbranson has seen his defensive game improve. But it all comes unglued when Pouliot is on the ice.

The Canucks were stupid lucky to win last night considering they were dominated for the vast majority of it. But we're lucky enough and for the first time in many years that our star players are that good to carry us through a tire fire like this. This ownership and management really needs to get their shit together to get these players the right depth around them to start thinking playoff runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Flames fan living in Vancouver here. I always liked the Sedins but genuinely hated most of the Canucks for the past decade or two.

It's weird but I cannot bring myself to dislike this current team of yours. Pettersson is just magical, and what a performance by Markstrom. This may be the making of the greatest Canucks squad ever.

Hopefully we'll see some good battles in the playoffs over the next few years.

GG.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
pretty sure.

They seem to have the feeling that if we meet them in the first round then it's another 1 and done for them.
If we played them in the first round, we would win some of the battles, but they would eventually win the war...Having a hot goalie is a game changer in the playoffs..As we already know, goaltending is a sore spot for the Flames,and a poor outing in goal can open up a whole can of worms for them.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What a game by Marky but this coaching staff has to do something about our lame special teams and the team's lack of consistency. It seems to me that every game we have a long period of time (anywhere from 8 minutes to 13 last night) where we manage zero shots on goal. Often these periods occur at the beginning of the game which suggests poor pre-game preparation. I get a kick out of the HNIC folks who were talking about the "run" the Canucks are on; we have 3 points in 4 games in a desperate playoff race and would be 0-4 without Marky standing on his head (something that I think is unlikely to continue forever). That isn't much of a "run" it's a lot like a slump. I still think we miss the playoffs by a point...

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
Something to remember re: Markstrom on waivers was how Benning only played him in one preseason game, and that was in some remote barn in northern California with no television cameras so opposing GMs couldn't scout Marky. And he was waived befire the end of preseason (iirc) to further reduce the risk of a claim. So yeah, of course there's some risk, but Benning deserves credit for mitigating as much of it as possible, and in hind sight Benning played his hand perfectly.

Keeping Markstrom up would have been a mistake at the time. Call it Frankie Corrado syndrom. Would Corrado have been better served clearing waivers and going to Utica to play in the top 4, or being claimed and sitting in TO's pressbox all season? Like Frankie, Marky needed to play, and to play against a lower level of competition.

But if we want to play the "what if" game, what if Nonis hadn't tried to get Gillis to take cap back on Luongo at the last minute? Instead of watching Horvat and Markstrom emerge as bona fide core players, we would have had the joys of spending the last five years watching Schneider and Lack play themselves out of the league. Just goes to show how big a role luck has on success in this league, and feeling the need to discredit Benning because he waived Marky when he needed development time is stoopid.

How do we know this? Markstrom had already had NHL games and was 24-25 years old when he was waived.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Markstrom is 29, and has been in the Canucks organization for 5 years..Like the Sedins,looks like he has found the top of his game later in his career..His development has been a rocky road, but mentorship (Miller),and being patient with him have gone a long way..Some of the negatives here trying to spin this as a win for the Gillis regime is laughable...

Markstrom has performed very well from day 1.

Amusingly, his numbers this year are actually his worst in 4 seasons here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes the 'Hockey Gods' just smile on you. Canucks deserved a better fate in Philly and Chicago; but clearly e earned a 'big L' last night. Saved by Markstrom both during the game and in the shootout.

But with Edler gone, my gawd this blueline is awful. If Benning really wants to give his kids a fighting chance in their playoff quest, he has to try and do something to address it. What about trying Brissebois and Schenn as a pairing? Apparently they've been solid in Utica.

I mean they have to try something. This blueline just bleeds scoring chances. Lost track of the number of times the Flames snipers went eyeball to eyeball with Markstrom. Inevitably he'll start to falter unless the Canucks can find some way to exit their own zone. Sharks next. It could get ugly.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Markstrom was one of the worst goalies in the league when we acquired him. Sure, he had lots of potential, but if he went through another season of being ventilated I think there would have been a high chance of him going back to Europe. To say that we shouldn’t have waived a sub .900 goalie so that he could develop confidence in the minors feels like major hindsight.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Any implication that this front office is playing 4D underwater parcheesi is laughable as they have proven many times over that they are as kneejerkish and reactionary Mgmt team as one can can get.
Did not suggest anything. Simply stating the simple FACT that the easiest time to sneak a player through on waivers, is before the season begins as everybody has roster problems. I do not give any credit to Benning for doing this as I do not believe he has enough intellect to figure this out.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about what an utterly atrocious game Virtanen had in this thread. Sure, Pouliot and Guddy had their usual disappointing showing, but man.. that might have been Jake's worst game of the season, and he's already had a bunch of stinkers. I'd sit him next game just as a little wake up call. He needs it.

Also needs to be more talk about how incredible Roussel is playing. Just... wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad