Post-Game Talk: GAME #56: Canucks 4 vs. Flames 3 (S/O): Markstrom masterclass, EP gets his 50th point

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Zombotron, Feb 9, 2019.

1. lindgren

lindgren Registered User

I was just about to report this post as a flame, and then ...

Mr. Canucklehead likes this.
  2. alternate

alternate It's Miller time!

Something to remember re: Markstrom on waivers was how Benning only played him in one preseason game, and that was in some remote barn in northern California with no television cameras so opposing GMs couldn't scout Marky. And he was waived befire the end of preseason (iirc) to further reduce the risk of a claim. So yeah, of course there's some risk, but Benning deserves credit for mitigating as much of it as possible, and in hind sight Benning played his hand perfectly.

Keeping Markstrom up would have been a mistake at the time. Call it Frankie Corrado syndrom. Would Corrado have been better served clearing waivers and going to Utica to play in the top 4, or being claimed and sitting in TO's pressbox all season? Like Frankie, Marky needed to play, and to play against a lower level of competition.

But if we want to play the "what if" game, what if Nonis hadn't tried to get Gillis to take cap back on Luongo at the last minute? Instead of watching Horvat and Markstrom emerge as bona fide core players, we would have had the joys of spending the last five years watching Schneider and Lack play themselves out of the league. Just goes to show how big a role luck has on success in this league, and feeling the need to discredit Benning because he waived Marky when he needed development time is stoopid.

3. Neddam ot Sehguh

Neddam ot Sehguh Nelhad ot Oow

First of all, your actually the type of poster who reports posts lindgren? Disappointed

2ndly, I quoted myself , third of all, still losing steam...

4. lindgren

lindgren Registered User

Absolutely, I report posts: flames, trolls, etc. It's either that or respond in kind, which sends threads spiralling off into crap.

And I noticed you were quoting yourself, which was funny, which was the point of my post.

5. deckercky

deckercky Registered User

Markstrom was not good enough to be an NHL backup when the Canucks waived him. For a team to claim him, that team would have had to be in a position to run Markstrom as their backup. There was very little risk of him being claimed.

6. Jack Burton

Jack Burton Pro Tank Since 13

lames fans are a little salty today :biglaugh:

7. Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz Registered User

Markstrom is 29, and has been in the Canucks organization for 5 years..Like the Sedins,looks like he has found the top of his game later in his career..His development has been a rocky road, but mentorship (Miller),and being patient with him have gone a long way..Some of the negatives here trying to spin this as a win for the Gillis regime is laughable...

alternate likes this.
  8. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

Lames fans can lick nut sacks.

LordBacon, Sayonara77 and Jack Burton like this.
  9. Pastor Of Muppetz

Why.?...because they're 1-3 against the Canucks this season.

10. Jack Burton

Jack Burton Pro Tank Since 13

pretty sure.

They seem to have the feeling that if we meet them in the first round then it's another 1 and done for them.

11. FacepalmBenning

FacepalmBenning Praise Glorious Leader Jim Benning

I'm snowed in and doing the home game version of The Shining. I watched this game, don't remember a lot of it. Definitely slept through most of the 3rd period.

Pettersson is God in human form. He was even throwing hits and being gritty in the third period last night. There was a couple occasions I was concerned because he looked like a pencil being thrown at cows but the kid did manage to lay a Flame or two out.

I've never been a big Markstrom fan but he has really pushed himself to being this team's number one goaltender. You can't help but respect him after the efforts he's brought to the rink every night. I'm still not quite sure what we have in him but he's arguably the perfect goalie to have for this organization. Last night's game, as well as a couple other Herculean efforts with this team, have greatly earned my respect for him as NHL starting netminder.

Brock is what he is and he's great at what he is. He's a terrific sniper in the Kovalchuk/Brett Hull model. That's all he ever needs to be. Let him ride shotgun for Petterson for the next fifteen years and profit.

Pouliot is a tire fire and it is high charity to keep him in this league. Two of those goals last night were directly on him while he doesn't excel at much other than an occasional outlet pass. I hate to be such a hater but this team can't be taken seriously until the backend is overhauled. I think Stecher has taken leaps over the last two years to turn into an excellent under the radar top four defenseman. I think Hutton is adequate and eager. Even Gudbranson has seen his defensive game improve. But it all comes unglued when Pouliot is on the ice.

The Canucks were stupid lucky to win last night considering they were dominated for the vast majority of it. But we're lucky enough and for the first time in many years that our star players are that good to carry us through a tire fire like this. This ownership and management really needs to get their **** together to get these players the right depth around them to start thinking playoff runs.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    mossey3535 likes this.
  12. Pizza the Hutt

Pizza the Hutt Top Cheddar

Flames fan living in Vancouver here. I always liked the Sedins but genuinely hated most of the Canucks for the past decade or two.

It's weird but I cannot bring myself to dislike this current team of yours. Pettersson is just magical, and what a performance by Markstrom. This may be the making of the greatest Canucks squad ever.

Hopefully we'll see some good battles in the playoffs over the next few years.

GG.

13. Pastor Of Muppetz

If we played them in the first round, we would win some of the battles, but they would eventually win the war...Having a hot goalie is a game changer in the playoffs..As we already know, goaltending is a sore spot for the Flames,and a poor outing in goal can open up a whole can of worms for them.

14. Zippgunn

Zippgunn Registered User

What a game by Marky but this coaching staff has to do something about our lame special teams and the team's lack of consistency. It seems to me that every game we have a long period of time (anywhere from 8 minutes to 13 last night) where we manage zero shots on goal. Often these periods occur at the beginning of the game which suggests poor pre-game preparation. I get a kick out of the HNIC folks who were talking about the "run" the Canucks are on; we have 3 points in 4 games in a desperate playoff race and would be 0-4 without Marky standing on his head (something that I think is unlikely to continue forever). That isn't much of a "run" it's a lot like a slump. I still think we miss the playoffs by a point...

mossey3535 likes this.
  15. Michael Dal Swolle

Michael Dal Swolle Registered User

How do we know this? Markstrom had already had NHL games and was 24-25 years old when he was waived.

16. MS

MS 1%er

Markstrom has performed very well from day 1.

Amusingly, his numbers this year are actually his worst in 4 seasons here.

mossey3535 likes this.
  17. Stubu

Stubu "Multi-Pass"

Bunch of Jerks, 'abs, &co
    Tsk, tsk. Seek the high ground.

I noticed your Pettersson was pretty awesome again.

18. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

Not enough Flames/Nucks hatred now a days due to young demographics.

Makes me sick.

Stubu likes this.
  19. moog35

moog35 Registered User

That is disappointing

Neddam ot Sehguh likes this.
  20. moog35

moog35 Registered User

Rat snitch

21. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Sometimes the 'Hockey Gods' just smile on you. Canucks deserved a better fate in Philly and Chicago; but clearly e earned a 'big L' last night. Saved by Markstrom both during the game and in the shootout.

But with Edler gone, my gawd this blueline is awful. If Benning really wants to give his kids a fighting chance in their playoff quest, he has to try and do something to address it. What about trying Brissebois and Schenn as a pairing? Apparently they've been solid in Utica.

I mean they have to try something. This blueline just bleeds scoring chances. Lost track of the number of times the Flames snipers went eyeball to eyeball with Markstrom. Inevitably he'll start to falter unless the Canucks can find some way to exit their own zone. Sharks next. It could get ugly.

mossey3535 likes this.
  22. Jannik Hansen

Jannik Hansen Registered User

Markstrom was one of the worst goalies in the league when we acquired him. Sure, he had lots of potential, but if he went through another season of being ventilated I think there would have been a high chance of him going back to Europe. To say that we shouldn’t have waived a sub .900 goalie so that he could develop confidence in the minors feels like major hindsight.

Pastor Of Muppetz likes this.
  23. hookshott

hookshott Registered User

Did not suggest anything. Simply stating the simple FACT that the easiest time to sneak a player through on waivers, is before the season begins as everybody has roster problems. I do not give any credit to Benning for doing this as I do not believe he has enough intellect to figure this out.

24. mossey3535

mossey3535 Registered User

I've always been #teammarky.

25. Bougieman

Bougieman Registered User

Publisher
    I'm surprised more people aren't talking about what an utterly atrocious game Virtanen had in this thread. Sure, Pouliot and Guddy had their usual disappointing showing, but man.. that might have been Jake's worst game of the season, and he's already had a bunch of stinkers. I'd sit him next game just as a little wake up call. He needs it.

Also needs to be more talk about how incredible Roussel is playing. Just... wow