Post-Game Talk: GAME #56: Canucks 4 vs. Flames 3 (S/O): Markstrom masterclass, EP gets his 50th point

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
really?hand full?

Our PP is almost set. Markstrom and Demko DiPietro gives us legit goaltending

I see it as more a couple years experience for the core and 4 or 5 good players to replace Eriksson Granlund Sutter and a top4 defenseman if Hughes pans out and Edler re signs.

Of course like any team we will have to keep re stocking hungry good cheap depth

Outside of Pettersson, Horvat, and Boeser the rest are question marks. As great as Markstrom has been playing you have to wonder how sustainable it is with the workload he's getting. Demko has played 2 NHL games and DiPietro has never played a single minute of ice time in the NHL, same as Hughes.

I've been a Canuck fan long enough to see so called "core" players fizzle out and turn into nothing. Look at all of the roster projections with Hodgson, Schroeder, Shinkaruk, Cassels, etc. None of those players are with the team now.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What a win.

Offense firing and Markstrom was on point.

We're obviously missing Edler but we didn't fold with one major player out of the line up like past teams could have or simply have.

Calgary didn't sit back and wait for us either I am actually surprised we won this one. It's still fantastic though and a few more thefts of games and we could secure our wildcard spot.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Gudbranson was another level of bad all night.

He makes the panic pass without even being pressured by an opposing player. What a terrible, terrible defenseman.

Reactions: geebaan

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I don't know who that is... I'm just surprised those tiny shoulders can hold that big head up. Must be the suit.
7c9a2f335afd2c9ce148fb302f3d39c4.png

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
They put him on waivers..

In defence of Benning, Markstrom was strategically placed on waivers at the beginning of that season when other teams already had their rosters set and would be less likely to claim him..... plus he also was considered a bit of reclamation project at the time to most... given his early expectations.

It was still a gamble to put him on waivers but I remember clearly at the time that there was very little chance he was going to be claimed.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
In defence of Benning, Markstrom was strategically placed on waivers at the beginning of that season when other teams already had their rosters set and would be less likely to claim him..... plus he also was considered a bit of reclamation project at the time to most... given his early expectations.

It was still a gamble to put him on waivers but I remember clearly at the time that there was very little chance he was going to be claimed.

@Results

Reactions: Jack Burton

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Very little chance + gamble =/= "Knew he'd clear".

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
This point won't go away.

I think Benning got extremely lucky here that no one took a chance on Markstrom at that time.
Well, I mean, you can look at tons of goaltenders like that (Dubnyk, for example).

Markstrom wasn't that great coming from Florida; he had potential, people always knew he had potential, but teams aren't necessarily going to bank a full-time NHL position on potential (unless you're Edmonton, then you do things like guarantee top 4 minutes to Justin Schultz fresh out of college, sign players to ridiculous long-term contracts like it's EA NHL, etc. but I digress).

Was Markstrom a quality NHL backup at the time? Probably not. He was coming off a season in which he had a 2-8-3 record, 3.39 GAA, and 0.873 Sv% at age 24. He was clearly not a top 2 goaltender on the team in camp, plus Miller and Lack were virtually guaranteed spots, anyways.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Well, I mean, you can look at tons of goaltenders like that (Dubnyk, for example).

Markstrom wasn't that great coming from Florida; he had potential, people always knew he had potential, but teams aren't necessarily going to bank a full-time NHL position on potential (unless you're Edmonton, then you do things like guarantee top 4 minutes to Justin Schultz fresh out of college, sign players to ridiculous long-term contracts like it's EA NHL, etc. but I digress).

Was Markstrom a quality NHL backup at the time? Probably not. He was coming off a season in which he had a 2-8-3 record, 3.39 GAA, and 0.873 Sv% at age 24. He was clearly not a top 2 goaltender on the team in camp, plus Miller and Lack were virtually guaranteed spots, anyways.

Before Gillis was fired, Markstrom was expected to be one of the top2 goalies. Miller coming in changed that, and changed what they had to do with Markstrom in the immediate.

And you're right, he's not the only goalie that has gone through waivers to become a #1 G. My only contention here is that he was not assured to make through. No one going on waivers ever is.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Outside of Pettersson, Horvat, and Boeser the rest are question marks. As great as Markstrom has been playing you have to wonder how sustainable it is with the workload he's getting. Demko has played 2 NHL games and DiPietro has never played a single minute of ice time in the NHL, same as Hughes.

I've been a Canuck fan long enough to see so called "core" players fizzle out and turn into nothing. Look at all of the roster projections with Hodgson, Schroeder, Shinkaruk, Cassels, etc. None of those players are with the team now.
cant say i follow your logic.

Boeser Pettersson Horvat and whether its Leivo Baertschi Goldobin and Stecher Hutton Edler or IMO Quinn Hughes these guys van legitimately go toe to toe with the Flames top guys who are driving the 2nd best team in the NHL right now.

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm Giordano Tkachuk
Pettersson Horvat Boeser Edler Baertschi..........Hughes Goldobin/Dahlen ?????

As far as the support groups....
Rittich Hanifin Brodie Hamonic Backlund Bennett Jankowski Frolik
Markstrom Hutton Stecher Tanev Sutter Roussel Leivo Virtanen ..........Gaudette

depth
Anderson Kylington Mangiapane Hathaway Ryan Neal
Pouliot Gudbranson Beagle Motte Eriksson Granlund.......????? ?????? MacEwen

point being you can see were not that far off with some maturity and most importantly a 3c that is playing well and good defense....not 3 train wrecks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hilarious how now that Markstrom seems to be playing extremely well, the narrative has turned into, “But Benning waived him and didn’t want him!” To a very small extent, that is true I guess, but as Eddie Punch Clock pointed out, the Canucks chances of losing Markstrom back then were extremely minimal.

Funny how people aren’t mentioning the fact that in 2015, the Canucks felt that it would be better if Markstrom got more time to develop in Utica to rediscover his confidence as opposed to receiving minimal ice time as a back up while likely getting lit up (which is pretty much what would Have happened if the Canucks had elected to go with a Lack-Markstrom tandem back then).

Markstrom’s success today is a direct result of the Canucks’ system, and how management decided to develop him. The guy came from Florida as a broken young man. This management group flat out put him together again. It took awhile, but Markstrom seems to be here now.

I think it just goes to show a valuable lesson. It ain’t over till it’s over. You NEVER give up up on a young kid.......especially goaltenders that have a tendency to develop much later.

None of this “D+1” or “D+2” nonsense.

Hutton and Stecher are other examples of how this management group is staying committed to the kids and how they are developing the right way. Hutton isn’t exactly a spring chicken either. Hutton was pushed by Green, but he’s responded in a big way this year. I got nothing but respect for Hutton now.

The reason why I’m mentioning this, is because I have faith that we’ll see the same late development from Virtanen and Juolevi. We’re already seeing a little bit of this from Virtanen.

Always be patient with kids! If someone hasn’t fully developed by the age of 23, they aren’t necessarily castoffs.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad