Pre-Game Talk: Game #55: Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Wedneday, Jan. 29th 7:30PM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It's amazing what losing two of your top 6 forwards does to your lineup.

Brad Richardson on the second line and a (bad) defenseman on the fourth line. My goodness, one would hope a call up could fill a role.

In other news we still have a playoff spot.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Booth makes me want to hibernate until the buy out period opens up and hope it happens, saw a glimpse of him earlier this year where he looked okay but I feel like its unrealistic expecting him to regain form at this point. What you say make sense in regards to him as we're kind of in the state of throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Based on where the line-up started at the beginning of the year, it may seem like this one is haphazard or random, but it's actually about simplifying the roles. Going to 'what we know'. Not relying on the 4-5 best players to do everything.

Booth is not a checker. His game is more suited to a top6 role. Same with Daniel. If you put these guys out of their natural roles, then you are expecting them to adapt to their new roles as well as return to form, instead of just trying to return to form. It's introducing a needless wrinkle IMO.

Get these guys in their natural roles and then the game becomes more simple, to everyone.

After how this season started with Kass, I'm pretty happy overall with his progress and won't chop him down, I'll also expect slightly more drastic growth next year.
Tanev has more shots than Kass, he really does need to shoot more... I had no idea Tanev had more shots...

regardless, I still think its alot to ask but then again, I wouldn't expect the lines to stay like that for the whole game anyways unless it worked, we'll all probably get to see our combos but hopefully not.

Yes, combos should shift if they are not working. Coaching staff didn't do this quick enough last game.

For Kassian, it's funny to see people support him now, when they were throwing him under the bus earlier on. Seems completely arbitrary. But yes, he's a net positive, despite some mistakes last game. Keep him in a top6 role and hopefully things turn around.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'd like to see a top 6 of:

D. Sedin - Schroeder - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

That 1st line might get pushed around a bit but the skill level and vision is high with Daniel and Schroeder. The Kesler line can still create a bit of offense while handling the bigger, tougher lines.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

That 1st line might get pushed around a bit but the skill level and vision is high with Daniel and Schroeder. The Kesler line can still create a bit of offense while handling the bigger, tougher lines.

I wouldn't mind this as well. If they are going to give their top6 the bulk of the ice time, and not run 4 lines, then this would be the top6 I would choose.

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
What a pathetic group of forwards. Gillis has let the fans down with some terrible moves and non moves over the past couple of years. Absolutely no reason to watch this sad sack team until significant changes are made.

No movement clause for Edler ? Brilliant Gillis.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
What a pathetic group of forwards. Gillis has let the fans down with some terrible moves and non moves over the past couple of years. Absolutely no reason to watch this sad sack team until significant changes are made.

No movement clause for Edler ? Brilliant Gillis.

What terrible move? The only one that could be considered terrible was Booth and that's only terrible in hindsight. Another widely-considered "terrible move" in Kassian has been our best player for a stretch. We're missing players to injury so obviously our lineup is going to look bad.

Edler doesn't even have a no movement clause. Where are you pulling this from?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'd give Luongo a night off. He looked tired the last couple nights (I thought starting him last night was questionable). I'd give him a few days off to work with Melanson.

I doubt they will, but they might as well. This one is going to be a blow out no matter who is in net.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I'd give Luongo a night off. He looked tired the last couple nights (I thought starting him last night was questionable). I'd give him a few days off to work with Melanson.

I doubt they will, but they might as well. This one is going to be a blow out no matter who is in net.

Yeah, I agree. I thought Luongo had an ok game vs Phoenix, despite the score, but the Edmonton game was a little shaky.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011

...or perhaps the Hawks will play a solid 40 minutes and take the 3rd period off. Very inconsistent play as of late...and after playing the Nucks we play the sharks, ducks, kings and yotes before the break...

At least they called up Pirri and hopefully will sit Handzus....watching him center a line with Kane on it is painful. His tank isn't empty..it has a hole in it.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I think it is largely in part to so many new fans coming on board with the successful seasons in 2010/2011. They don't recognize that those years were likely the best in franchise history, and have come to expect nothing less.

In other words, spoiled.

Last edited by a moderator:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
...or perhaps the Hawks will play a solid 40 minutes and take the 3rd period off. Very inconsistent play as of late...and after playing the Nucks we play the sharks, ducks, kings and yotes before the break...

At least they called up Pirri and hopefully will sit Handzus....watching him center a line with Kane on it is painful. His tank isn't empty..it has a hole in it.

I'm sure the Hawks will be fired up for this game. Both our teams usually step up when we play each other and generally give it their all. Very fun games to watch!

Handzus as 2C is pretty bad but at least you guys have other phenomenal forwards to watch. We have D. Sedin (who has been underwhelming for the last 10+ games), Kesler (aka shinpad assassin), and Kassian. :cry:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'm sure the Hawks will be fired up for this game. Both our teams usually step up when we play each other and generally give it their all. Very fun games to watch!

Handzus as 2C is pretty bad but at least you guys have other phenomenal forwards to watch. We have D. Sedin (who has been underwhelming for the last 10+ games), Kesler (aka shinpad assassin), and Kassian. :cry:

One bad game after a time of play solid labels him underwhelming?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

40 minutes is probably enough the way the Canucks have been playing the past month or so.

Wang Gretzky

Nov 8, 2013
I actually see us coming to play against the hawks. Most of the time when we play them we show another gear... I hope

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If they play anything like they did against the Oilers against a real team it will be 6-1 or 6-0.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Anyone need their bagel toasted?

uBfWpNc.gif

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
One bad game after a time of play solid labels him underwhelming?

I never labelled him underwhelming - only mentioned him as one of our three notable forwards. In fact, in an earlier post in this thread I called him our best player for a stretch.

Last edited:

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

I think that's what we'll see, especially considering how that first line played in the last few minutes in Edmonton.

Schroeder still has a lot of the weaknesses he had last year (staying around the perimeter, not able to attack players one on one, not going hard enough/often enough to the dirty areas). He's a viable middle 6 option, but he needs to be with the right types of players (smart, big, gritty). I think Burrows is a good fit for him, and Daniel is smart so if they can get some chemistry that might be a good match. He'll need to develop that part of his game if he wants to stick around.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
It's games like this, when there is no way they should win, that the Canucks usually show up for. That being said, I will be shocked if they even manage to get a point.

This years Hawks are too deep, too skilled, and too fast for the current Canucks. If they show up, the Hawks should easily win, and it seems like they always love to bring it when in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad