Post-Game Talk: GAME #54: Capitals def. Canucks - 3-2 (Granlund, Pettersson)

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So the Canucks are Markstrom tweaking his groin in warmup away from having Mike Dipietro be their starter? Doesn't look great on the organization to not have an adequate 3rd stringer available tbh.
You could also flip that and say.... wow they have 2 young goalies that are trusted and can jump in to help out. Must be some good prospect depth. Would rather watch this than some washed up bum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
That Nilsson trade is looking hilariously bad. Demko had one start! We should have just kept McKenna as the backup and waited for a window where Toronto or Philadelphia wouldn't claim him if Demko was really the plan. On the human level though, at least McKenna is closer to his young family being out east.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
That Nilsson trade is looking hilariously bad. Demko had one start! We should have just kept McKenna as the backup and waited for a window where Toronto or Philadelphia wouldn't claim him if Demko was really the plan. On the human level though, at least McKenna is closer to his young family being out east.
What would McKenna or Nilsson have done for us that couldn't be done by any other AHL goaltender?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Who the hell was going to predict Demko's string of bad luck here? He is ready for the NHL and they made room for him.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Would still prefer our current situation.

Reactions: Peen

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
With a suspected increase in icetime tonight what's the over under on how many times Real Gud:

(1) sends a pass right up the gut to be intercepted despite having no pressure on him

guddy-turonver.gif

(2) loses a board battle despite seemingly having position to win the battle

(3) is on the ice flailing after getting walked or blowing his coverage

(4) has an unforced icing
(5) has the hockey IQ of a rock

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
No one could have predicted Demko to get injured, guys. But it was pretty easy to predict that McKenna was going to get claimed at the time he was sent down. Both Philly and TOR needed a goalie! I was all for Demko getting NHL time this season by trading Nilsson, but now we're in a situation where Marky is playing back-to-backs and we're an injury away from testing Mikey against NHL shooters. The timing of Demko getting called up is the issue here more than anything.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Losing Edler never bodes well for the Canucks..The record without him in the lineup speaks for itself..However, it was nice to have the entire team healthy for a week or so....but to expect that to continue is unrealistic.

If the Canucks have any hope of winning tonight, they have to play the full 60 (that wasn't the case yesterday)..

You mean the All Star break? Yes, that was nice.

Reactions: Nomobo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It might be the goaltending depth gets tested or not. But one thing I know after watching Vegas last year it probably isn’t something to point to as a reason for lack of success.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks record with and without Edler:

With Edler:
20-14-4

Without Edler:
4-9-2

Edler’s loss really stings. The fact that Gudbranson and Pouliot will be getting more ice time is utter stupidity; they are not capable of playing defence! Bringing up Biega, Sautner & Brisebois to replace Edler, Pouliot & Gudbransson would make the D much more effective.

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
You could also flip that and say.... wow they have 2 young goalies that are trusted and can jump in to help out. Must be some good prospect depth. Would rather watch this than some washed up bum.

Dipietro isn't coming up because he's ready to step in, this is a desperation move.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Poor Edler. What a crappy, freaky thing to have happen to him. Unbelievable that there are no bones broken, but getting a concussion is the pits. I hope it's not too serious, but if he needs to stay out for the rest of the season, so be it.

As for the team, damn, will he be missed. Trying to be optimistic here, but if we find another Tanev from among the call-ups, that would be a blessing. Can't recall, was Tanev originally a call-up due to an injury, or did he prove himself at training camp?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Dipietro isn't coming up because he's ready to step in, this is a desperation move.
My point is diepietro can capably step in to back stop. Desperate or not. He’s probably more cut out for this than many older ones in NHL right now. So end of the day who cares? Trying to make something out of nothing. Canucks goaltending depth is better than most. I’d take this over say oilers, flames etc.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
My point is diepietro can capably step in to back stop. Desperate or not. He’s probably more cut out for this than many older ones in NHL right now. So end of the day who cares? Trying to make something out of nothing. Canucks goaltending depth is better than most. I’d take this over say oilers, flames etc.
Based on what? You don't know if he can and it's not a position you want your organization to be in. What happens if he gets Joacim Ericcsson'd in his first game.

It's not the way to run an organization and it's an unfair spot to put the kid.

I get that prospects are all the rage and Brisebois/Dipietro feels better than MDZ/Nilsson, but expecting the rookies to be better is just asinine.

Reactions: hellstick

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Based on what? You don't know if he can and it's not a position you want your organization to be in. What happens if he gets Joacim Ericcsson'd in his first game.

It's not the way to run an organization and it's an unfair spot to put the kid.

I get that prospects are all the rage and Brisebois/Dipietro feels better than MDZ/Nilsson, but expecting the rookies to be better is just asinine.
He’s backing up!! He’s sitting on the bench getting to see the pros on/off ice. I get it if he was being asked to start some games. But what do you do!? Like someone said above he’s like 5th in line right now. Totally agree if this is something that is going to go on beyond this week then we need to pick up A backup goalie.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Canucks record with and without Edler:

With Edler:
20-14-4

Without Edler:
4-9-2

Edler’s loss really stings. The fact that Gudbranson and Pouliot will be getting more ice time is ludicrous; they are not capable of playing defence. Bringing up Biega, Sautner & Breisbois to replace Edler, Pouliot & Gudbransson would make the D much more effective.

And to think for years this fanbase, including posters here, have been claiming he's bad and advocating dumping him for whatever we could get for him.

It's interesting that Tanev went from the unsung hero that first Canucks fans didn't notice followed by the media not catching on, to the point I remember an article about the worst contracts in the NHL including Tanev, has gone on to eclipse Edler as the player taking all the praise for their effective play as a pairing.

Reactions: geebaan

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
What a great play by Pouliot!

That was his fault in the first place lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad