Post-Game Talk: GAME #54: Capitals def. Canucks - 3-2 (Granlund, Pettersson)

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
"Hutton sucks, waive him or trade him for a 5th"
Or give him a huge dose of reality and cause him to actually train properly in the summer. If he had not done that, he would not have returned even a 5th. He was terrible last year but, to his credit, he did what was needed over the summer and saved his career.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
The league is as crooked as they come, now they've gone fully corrupt with betting, that's why LV was gifted with a cup contending team. There isn't an excuse in the world for that goal and this is at least the third time they've pulled something like this, this season. The Canucks will either make the playoffs or they'll miss by only a few points to one of the teams nothing remotely like this ever happens to them, while it happens multiple times a year fo the Canucks.

2le16du.jpg

Watch other team's hockey games and drop the victim, woe-is-us, world is conspiring against us garbage.

The reffing in the NHL isn't great. Sometimes it goes for us, sometimes against us. (Your confirmation bias is strong so it appears otherwise.)

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Remember the Hutton vs Gudbranson debate of years past? Seems like a good filter for cluelessness.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Second night we been undone, in major part, by outstanding goaltending. Canucks were very good in the second and could well have established a good lead. I don't think, however, you can dispute the 3rd Washington goal.

I'll disagree with this slightly or at least put the other spin on it. The Flyers and Caps were nearly undone by spectacular goaltending especially in the first periods of the games. Without Markstrom they don't even get a shot at getting their feet under them before the scoreboard is run up. Sometimes it's easier to look good when trailing by one.

They essentially need Markstrom to save 95% of the shots he faces to win games.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruGr1t and Pip

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Or give him a huge dose of reality and cause him to actually train properly in the summer. If he had not done that, he would not have returned even a 5th. He was terrible last year but, to his credit, he did what was needed over the summer and saved his career.

Yes, many fans were advocating giving him that dose of reality by dumping him scraps. That dose of reality doesn't help us much when he's playing elsewhere does it?

I know he wouldn't have returned more than a 5th, but that's why anyone suggesting we dump him for what would be scraps was talking nonsense

Reactions: daddyohsix

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yes, many fans were advocating giving him that dose of reality by dumping him scraps. That dose of reality doesn't help us much when he's playing elsewhere does it?

I know he wouldn't have returned more than a 5th, but that's why anyone suggesting we dump him for what would be scraps was talking nonsense

We have seen these scenarios at least 20 times in the last 10 years. Advocating that we get rid of projects way to early. It happened with the Sedin's and a ton of others that are slow to pan out. Virtanen - try to get a 5th for him. It would be interesting to put together a list of all the players that we have tried to throw under the bus that are now working out.

Reactions: daddyohsix

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Have to agree. Canucks need a high lottery pick a lot more than a 'one and done' playoff series, even if the owner might not agree.

I just wish we had a more aggressive GM who wasn't afraid to roll the dice on some serious trades. The TDL could be very important to the Canucks future. But it's going to take a GM with some jam to make it happen.

Not trusting this GM to make a big trade - in our favor that is. We have very little trade bait other than the big 3 (EP, Horvat and Boeser) and with Edler out of the trade picture (which i am happy about) the only ones I could see are Guddy and Tanev. Both would be useful to a team looking for a deep playoff run.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
We really need some top 6 caliber wingers for Pettersson and Horvat to play with, Boeser notwithstanding.

Agreed. The problem is that you can't go to the $1 store and buy them cheap.

1 - you draft and develop them. (Madden, Lind, Dahlen etc we can hope).

2 - you fleece someone in a trade. JB has yet to do this.

3 - You give up an equivalent asset .... and taking 4 of your waiver fodder guys and trading him for Crosby ranks right up there with prayers making a difference in a disaster.

4 - FA. I will admit that Beagle and Roussel have worked out better than expected, but we have a big pile of crap that we are paying money to that have not.

Not sure what the long term prognosis on JB will be ... I'm not a fan, and he has done poorly in trades, and re-signing contracts, but who knows, maybe drafting will make the difference.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017

Not sure many fans were pushing for that but ultimately doesn't matter. Key is that he was lousy last year and then did what he needed to do in the summer and got in shape.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Agreed. The problem is that you can't go to the $1 store and buy them cheap.

1 - you draft and develop them. (Madden, Lind, Dahlen etc we can hope).

2 - you fleece someone in a trade. JB has yet to do this.

3 - You give up an equivalent asset .... and taking 4 of your waiver fodder guys and trading him for Crosby ranks right up there with prayers making a difference in a disaster.

4 - FA. I will admit that Beagle and Roussel have worked out better than expected, but we have a big pile of crap that we are paying money to that have not.

Not sure what the long term prognosis on JB will be ... I'm not a fan, and he has done poorly in trades, and re-signing contracts, but who knows, maybe drafting will make the difference.

To your #4 point. Working out better than expected is not the issue. It’s that these 4th line guys can be had every single year in the summer on 1 year deals. They are a dime a dozen. The idea of having to lock up Jay Beagle for a long contract is ludacris. Like the rapper.

Reactions: Pip

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I’m more worried about the blueline. There’s future promise there but it’s ALL potential. Benning has yet to obtain any D better than Hutton. That’s hardly a high bar to beat.

Well, that too. We've got a long way to go. I was hoping for another top 6 pick to fatten the prospect pool. It doesn't look like that's in the cards, though. But boy do I ever hate seeing Bo and Petey have to be shackled to guys who can't start of finish a play.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad