Post-Game Talk: GAME #54: Capitals def. Canucks - 3-2 (Granlund, Pettersson)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
And I can't understand for life of me why Chris Tanev is on the 'no trade' bandwagon. Two egregious giveaways in two nights resulting in key goals against. Benning has to get off the pot and find a trading partner for Tanev and Sutter. It's time.

I agree with this, but Benning kind of painted himself in a corner with our defense. Tanev should of been traded two years a go at the deadline when his value was at a alltime high. Instead Benning did nothing. He continued to roll with the same crappy defense that he's had for years now. No new defenseman brought in, just resigning Pouliot. I'm totally down with trading Tanev, but unfortunately there is a huge void needed to be filled in Tanevs departure. This team will go no where until Benning finally makes the necessary changes on defense. Tanev could go, but what do you do? Benning screwed himself.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Seems it will take a bit longer for EP to get back to 100% after the last injury. Good for his confidence to get a goal though.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Quit your whining. It was a good call. The stick was high and waved around but never made contact with the puck.

Looks like the Canucks are beginning their predictable drop down the standings in the second half of the season.
Oh well, at least all the turncoat LV Knights fans can enjoy another cup run. Such a party atmosphere.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I don't think it was a goal. The rotation of the puck did not change enough for a stick having made contact. Just a heartbreaking goal that we Canuck fans know all too well. Thought we played pretty well in back to backs and deserved better than a goose egg. My preseason dream had the team fighting for a playoff spot until the last couple weeks of the season. Then missing and winning a lottery pick. When you dream you may as well dream big! That was a real dream btw. The fact we are even in the race now gives me hope.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The canucks will miss the playoffs by two points, everyone will be mad they didn't tank for a pick and nobody will mention the 4 points(at least) that the refs directly took from us over the season and how they've screwed us over and over for the last ten years. Calling it now.

I certainly hope so; I love watching Canuck fans whine about the terrible "conspiracy" the NHL has against their team. Never gets old...

Reactions: Nomobo

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
And I can't understand for life of me why Chris Tanev is on the 'no trade' bandwagon. Two egregious giveaways in two nights resulting in key goals against. Benning has to get off the pot and find a trading partner for Tanev and Sutter. It's time.

To be fair Tanev played on his offside with different partners thoughout the game, easily our second best defenceman on the team this season. As for Pouliot & Gudbranson, I’m speechless, why do they continue to get ice time? it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
In the overhead replay, you can see it tick off his stick. Not a good goal. Canucks was robbed.

That's what I had thought, too, but a couple of other angles show that the puck wasn't touched with a high stick, that the change in direction and rotation were caused by the puck bouncing off of the mesh.

Reactions: Josepho

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty hard to win on the road without a solid 60 minute effort. Last two nights, Canucks first periods were awful. This team is going to struggle to score five-on-five, so the pp has to bail them out. Unfortunately it's gone stone cold too.

Pettersson scored a goal in garbage time and made some nifty moves, but looks like he might be wearing down a bit. The travel and the number of games seems to be catching up with him.

It's too bad that veterans like Sutter and Eriksson, who are earning $10m a season between them, can't step up and provide some timely scoring. But they're mostly low event players out there, and might the most expensive checkers in the entire league.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sigh ... who cares. With Edler out for a couple of weeks, doubt we have a chance of making the playoffs. Prefer to tank while he is gone. Glad that EP scored ... but not hoping for much else.

We are going to be in contention in a couple of years. Hope we get a nice draft pick this year.
Have to agree. Canucks need a high lottery pick a lot more than a 'one and done' playoff series, even if the owner might not agree.

I just wish we had a more aggressive GM who wasn't afraid to roll the dice on some serious trades. The TDL could be very important to the Canucks future. But it's going to take a GM with some jam to make it happen.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
the funny thing, I'm pretty sure Gaudette would be more effective than Eriksson right now. It not only that he has terrible puck skills, he's a terrible skater too, we can at least use more speed if you're going to be utterly useless.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Second night we been undone, in major part, by outstanding goaltending. Canucks were very good in the second and could well have established a good lead. I don't think, however, you can dispute the 3rd Washington goal.

Good

Hutton - was like this last time, he stepped up in minutes. Faded after others got back but was again up to the task in this game. Could see even from the beginning he was good stick handler, but he started using that too much and got standing still doing it. . Other teams wised up to this and forced Hutton into gross turnovers. Now he is moving to get open better and making better use of his stick handling. Also greatly improved in his end. His decision-making on pinches has e immensely improved.

Stecher - have really questioned the long term viability of Stecher and at least right now I am having to reconsider that. His quickness and game sense continues to improve. Moreover, he seems a lot stronger than his size indicates. Tonight he was consistently winning puck battles and really jumping up to support the play. Have to like the way this player is trending.

Beagle - came to play in this one. Had good speed and with Motte was good both ways. Even Ericksson wasn't bad

Roussel - get a Burrows vibe out of this player. Probably our best forward. Again I'd say unrated in terms of offensive ability. Has good speed and is getting around the defense much better than most could have hoped. Right now a bargain of a pick up.

Markstrom - another solid game.

Bad

Pouliot - at one point Poo had me rubbing my eyes and checking my vision when I thought I saw him move up along the boards and knock a player off the puck and then move it up efficiently to the forward. Had to check the replay to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or something. Ultimately had to concede than every dog can have his day. However, Poo soon had us back to reality as he passed the puck to the other team, idly left pucks laying around in his crease and flailed at opponents as they rushed by him. Poo is truly among the worse defensemen the team has ever used.

Others

Virtanen - again a lot to like but he needs to find some finish.

Goldobin - again showed some good vision and created some neat little set ups. But somehow everything is just a fraction short of working. I think again the effort is there but he somehow has to pick up that step or quickness that will allow him to bury chances better complete plays. Goldobing might become a new term for describing plays that just about works.

Granlund - thought he was ineffective up till the time he scored.

Horvat - goal scoring has just dried up. Looking now more like the second line player he was predicted to be.

Pettersson - nice that he got the goal but on the run of the play hasn't got back to pre-All Star game caliber.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
It’s always the important games that we get screwed by the ****ing refs.
I think the stick just hit the top of the net causing the puck to bounce and change direction. Not sure you are actually allowed to do that but was not a high stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad