GDT: Game 54: Avalanche @ Islanders | 11 AM MT | February 9, 1996 | Fishin' for Wins

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bednar's OT strategy and personnel usage sucks. Got to try something else because rinse and repeat ain't working.

I think he has tried every combination imaginable unless you want the bottom six guys on the ice. Nothing works because someone always has to do something stupid. Last game it was Barrie/MacKinnon's turnover with all three players below the goal line and today it was Barrie not knowing how to defend.

Reactions: James G

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That was bad. Avs look completely deflated. That was probably the worst game I’ve seen them play this year.
I don't think so. Sure they relied on Varlamov no doubt, but Trotz gets his man coverage which will make it hard for any team besides us. Avs could've been deflated after that third goal off a dumbass penalty from your Captain, but they battled back and hard to tie the game. Hell, Barrie's slapshot could've won it in OT. Avs obviously won't outplay majority of teams and lose due to bad goaltending, there will be games they will lose when they weren't the better team and there will be games where they win (and lose) being down right awful. Today they were not awful.

Reactions: The Merchant

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This team is finished. They're demoralized.

Did Varly have a good game? Sure. He still managed to give up 4 goals.

The team is not making the playoffs, and Joe Sakic should be given a stern warning from the Kroenke's that if he doesn't fix this **** too, he'll be canned. Unacceptable.
I dont think Kroenk'es even know they own a hockey team. #Richproblems.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Other than Varly, Soda, EJ and Girard the team was just terrible. Kerfoot sucks, the top line looks like they would rather be somewhere else and most everyone else is playing in roles over their ability or just plain shouldn’t be playing in the NHL. To top it all off I think the team has tuned out Bednar.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Like the 4 goalie interfence non calls? That was crazy that they didnt get a call against.
It's complete garbage that the only penalty NYI took all game was a bench minor, no calls were made on actual plays.

Like you said Varly was hit at least 3-4 times, there was an obvious interference on MacK that didn't get called, lots of little clutches and grabs.

On the other hand NYI gets some nicer calls including a weak hook to give them a 4v3 with 6 minutes left in a tie game. Just kind of a joke IMO.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It's complete garbage that the only penalty NYI took all game was a bench minor, no calls were made on actual plays.

Like you said Varly was hit at least 3-4 times, there was an obvious interference on MacK that didn't get called, lots of little clutches and grabs.

On the other hand NYI gets some nicer calls including a weak hook to give them a 4v3 with 6 minutes left in a tie game. Just kind of a joke IMO.

I get being frustrated over non-calls all the time but that’s not what lost us the game.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I get being frustrated over non-calls all the time but that’s not what lost us the game.
Never said it was, we made too many errors and losing plays. But it's still trash that they were only called on one bench minor the entire game, when there were some very easy calls that should have been made.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

"We had a great overall game......"

He must've been watching a different game, which would actually explain his play today.

What's he going to say. I'm sure he didn't like his game, and he isn't going throw his teammates under the bus either. And honestly he isn't wrong. We have been better the past two games, just still not making enough plays as a team.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Problem is, this team has tanked for more than 10 years. Some of the players just don’t know how to win. And on team level they don’t have successful season, unless everything works well for them.

And it will be nice to get assurances from sakic, he could at least say the team is trying, and we will try to get help them get to playoff. Much like what Jackets GM said recently.

Sakic is too passive.

Next year isn’t always better. We have been lucky with injuries, I hope sakic finds help and Bednar figures out that Francouz deserved a shot.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So with bad goaltending this team loses every game, with little better goaltending they only get a loser point, then where the wins come from?

Maybe Landeskog shooting at empty net instead of passing?

So many issues with this team right now. Based on MacKinnon's ignorance towards Bednar, like ignoring his drawing board and his play on the ice, I'd say Mack has packed his bags and has checked out already. Rantanen pretty much following Mack, and Landeskog is trying to be the good captain but it's just not in his nature

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I dont think Rantanen and MacKinnon are gonna reach the 90 points which is gonna be such a shame. They were on a crazy pace but....oh well, just such a waste

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
I dont think Rantanen and MacKinnon are gonna reach the 90 points which is gonna be such a shame. They were on a crazy pace but....oh well, just such a waste
That would be a shame. I am hoping they will pull their shit together to make the playoff. Next year however, I want some changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad