GDT: Game 53: Coyotes @ Flames - 7PM - FSAZ+

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I'm ok sitting Chychrun. The less he plays in the next two months, the less chance he has to get broken. He's already set himself up for some awkward hits this season. Why overdo it for these throwaway games.

Smith? I don't know, pride? It seems to go with the long term trend anyway - they haven't shut down the number 1 in the past when the team was already cooked. If Smith is healthy, it's his net.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I wouldn't mind Domingue getting a few more games than his current pace but there have been plenty of goalies who developed in a very limited part time role. If Domingue is going to have a bounce back year next season it won't have much to do with how many games he plays between now and April

I wouldn't sweat it anyway, goalies are a crap shoot.
There's a lot of evidence that goalies actually hit their prime(not peak) earlier than previously thought at around age 25 and Domingue is already banging on that door. So if he's going to make a mark in the NHL it will have to be within the next couple years most likely.

Also Smith is playing well and it helps the rest of the prospects by keeping games more competitive.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There is a trade deadline coming up. We are not trading Chychrun, but this gives other teams the opportunity to see Connauton as an add for depth. After all, this was a guy who volunteered to play forward due to injury. Has a lot of positives that I am certain a team looking for a 6/7 depth D would be all over.

As for the Domingue v Smith argument - Smith has played well. Domingue got quite a number of starts last year, and his stats are worse than last year. I am not convinced that Domingue is our goalie of the future. I think it is fair to give Smith his due.

Hit the nail on the head.

At 1 Million that would be a bit naive...in fact I'm convinced he would clear waivers...

Maybe, maybe not. KConn has played very well in relief and like others have mentioned, the TD is coming up, and his contract is peanuts this time of year.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's a back to back situation so does it really matter if you play Smith the first and Domingue second or the other way around?

Unless Smith plays again tomorrow. In which people can then be critical about it.

Otherwise....... meh.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Chance to test free agency, or resign early with a team in limbo (again)? Tough choices...

Having said that, I'm fine with resigning him if you could get a deal done. Will not be okay with an unsigned Hanzal on the roster after the TDL.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Chance to test free agency, or resign early with a team in limbo (again)? Tough choices...

Having said that, I'm fine with resigning him if you could get a deal done. Will not be okay with an unsigned Hanzal on the roster after the TDL.
Agreed. Sign him or trade him.
Really he'd be stupid to sign before FA unless we gave him a huge offer. I say take the assets and try to sign him in the off season.

Not saying it's likely, just that if he's open to a reasonable deal with short term right now and we resigned him I'd be ok with it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe, maybe not. KConn has played very well in relief and like others have mentioned, the TD is coming up, and his contract is peanuts this time of year.

How? The average prospect is quite a lot cheaper...and better.
About half of the teams don't have 1 million capspace now...and don't forget that after the deadline there's no roster limit. Hard to believe somebody would want him. We might get a pick for him if we take a bad contract in return. Many teams with cap issues looking to dump bad contracts.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It was that guy that isn't good enough to play in this league when we're healthy...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great shot by Dvorak...the Flames are really bad though. They let Dvorak walk right in...nobody was even close. Been like that all game long:laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Apparently, the perfect dump and chase is really hoping for a crazy bounce off the boards... *sigh*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad