|
JOH104425.png

Notes and such:

Not much out there...

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If the coyotes just keep doing what they've been doing, I will be happy with this game.

Surprised they're letting Smith get this one. I'd let Louis have this one and Smith tomorrow.

But knowing our luck we get Smith both nights.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If the coyotes just keep doing what they've been doing, I will be happy with this game.

Surprised they're letting Smith get this one. I'd let Louis have this one and Smith tomorrow.

But knowing our luck we get Smith both nights.

I don't get it. We're in a rebuild but still continue to play Smith. What's the point? Where does that obsession come from? Trying to fool Vegas into taking Smith? I don't get it. Smith was as shaky as it gets vs Pittsburgh and yet he'll still continue to start.
I like the recent lineup decisions by Tippett but I really don't get the obsession with Smith. He hasn't been as bad as in recent years but it's not like he's the reason why the team improved or so. It's also not like there's anything left to play for this season other than pride. What's the worst possible thing that could happen if we play Domingue? Losing a game? Losing several games and getting the 1st/2nd overall? Wow, that's really bad.

Honestly, now is the time to get a proper look at Domingue. So far he either had to play all games without getting a break or he only got the 2nd games of back to backs. What a great way to develop a goalie.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yeah, that's the other thing I don't get. I wouldn't complain if we had a real option to replace him. A decent defender or a young prospect. But let's be honest, Connauton is nothing but bad.

There is a trade deadline coming up. We are not trading Chychrun, but this gives other teams the opportunity to see Connauton as an add for depth. After all, this was a guy who volunteered to play forward due to injury. Has a lot of positives that I am certain a team looking for a 6/7 depth D would be all over.

As for the Domingue v Smith argument - Smith has played well. Domingue got quite a number of starts last year, and his stats are worse than last year. I am not convinced that Domingue is our goalie of the future. I think it is fair to give Smith his due.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There is a trade deadline coming up. We are not trading Chychrun, but this gives other teams the opportunity to see Connauton as an add for depth. After all, this was a guy who volunteered to play forward due to injury. Has a lot of positives that I am certain a team looking for a 6/7 depth D would be all over.

As for the Domingue v Smith argument - Smith has played well. Domingue got quite a number of starts last year, and his stats are worse than last year. I am not convinced that Domingue is our goalie of the future. I think it is fair to give Smith his due.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Every defender would play forward to get an opportunity to play especially if he's a season long healthy scratch. Connauton's cap hit is 1 million. No way a team is gonna want him unless we're gonna retain salary...and even then...most teams have, just like us, prospect down in the AHL that are way better than Connauton. Was put on waivers by a terrible Columbus team a year ago and has failed in Arizona ever since. What makes you think that anybody would want him?

Smith was okay. Not more. Don't believe everything Nash or McConnell say. These are nothing but fanboys. And like I said. Domingue never received a chance. If Smith is healthy he gets only 2nd nights of back to backs. If he's out, he doesn't get a break for weeks or even months. This is NOT the way you develop goalies. Domingue might not be the answer...but who knows? We'll never know if we don't try to find out. He's been excellent for quite a while last season until he started to tire out during the absence of Smith. Some up's and down's are also nothing to worry about. All young goalies will experience that.

And once again...what's the worst thing that could happen? Us getting the 1st/2nd overall if Domingue fails?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah, that's the other thing I don't get. I wouldn't complain if we had a real option to replace him. A decent defender or a young prospect. But let's be honest, Connauton is nothing but bad.

Chychrun IS a young prospect and a decent defender. In fact, I'd say he's about the second- or third-best defenseman we own right now. He's going nowhere.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Fox Sports minus
Thats what it is for me because I don't get it.
But, I like Heeter and I like Boyntz....(I know some people don't but I think he's knowledgable, tells it like it is, docent hold back like most of the Coyotes shills (excuse that negative meaning) and is funny, his TV appearance was outstanding)

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I don't get it. We're in a rebuild but still continue to play Smith. What's the point? Where does that obsession come from? Trying to fool Vegas into taking Smith? I don't get it. Smith was as shaky as it gets vs Pittsburgh and yet he'll still continue to start.
I like the recent lineup decisions by Tippett but I really don't get the obsession with Smith. He hasn't been as bad as in recent years but it's not like he's the reason why the team improved or so. It's also not like there's anything left to play for this season other than pride. What's the worst possible thing that could happen if we play Domingue? Losing a game? Losing several games and getting the 1st/2nd overall? Wow, that's really bad.

Honestly, now is the time to get a proper look at Domingue. So far he either had to play all games without getting a break or he only got the 2nd games of back to backs. What a great way to develop a goalie.

Smith and DT are buddies. And I think DT's comments in the past about Dom make it pretty clear that he isn't a big fan of him.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Every defender would play forward to get an opportunity to play especially if he's a season long healthy scratch. Connauton's cap hit is 1 million. No way a team is gonna want him unless we're gonna retain salary...and even then...most teams have, just like us, prospect down in the AHL that are way better than Connauton. Was put on waivers by a terrible Columbus team a year ago and has failed in Arizona ever since. What makes you think that anybody would want him?

Smith was okay. Not more. Don't believe everything Nash or McConnell say. These are nothing but fanboys. And like I said. Domingue never received a chance. If Smith is healthy he gets only 2nd nights of back to backs. If he's out, he doesn't get a break for weeks or even months. This is NOT the way you develop goalies. Domingue might not be the answer...but who knows? We'll never know if we don't try to find out. He's been excellent for quite a while last season until he started to tire out during the absence of Smith. Some up's and down's are also nothing to worry about. All young goalies will experience that.

And once again...what's the worst thing that could happen? Us getting the 1st/2nd overall if Domingue fails?

Domingue had 39 games last year and 17 games this year. I think we found out some things that we like and some that we don't. Not too worried there.

You do realize that Connauton asked to be in the AHL earlier this year, right? That was b/c he had an injury in the early part of training camp and eventually requested to go down to Tucson so he could improve upon his conditioning. He did not think that he was skating and making decisions well enough to help the team. So hold your line of thinking that he was simply a "healthy scratch" who wanted to get in the game any way he knew how. If that were the case, he probably would have asked to stay up in Phoenix the entire time, so that a different player was returned to the AHL.

In reality, it sounds as if though he is a player who thinks about the team more than his individual self. May not mean much, but teams add 6/7 defensemen all the time at the trade deadline. If it meant adding someone who was "team first" - wouldn't that seem like a pickup that at least a few teams would be interested in adding for the playoff run? I could see him being added for a very late round pick, and could even be shipped with one of our other players to balance out a trade.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Chychrun IS a young prospect and a decent defender. In fact, I'd say he's about the second- or third-best defenseman we own right now. He's going nowhere.

I was talking about the lineup :laugh:
To replace him in the lineup. If it was to play another decent prospect I'd be okay to give Chychrun a break. But to play a crap player like Connauton? Nah.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
To replace him in the lineup. If it was to play another decent prospect I'd be okay to give Chychrun a break. But to play a crap player like Connauton? Nah.

Showcasing for any team that needs a 3rd line defenseman. They have to show that he can play since he has been benched for so long. No need to wig out.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Showcasing for any team that needs a 3rd line defenseman. They have to show that he can play since he has been benched for so long. No need to wig out.

The thing is that he can't. He's just not good enough. All teams but the Coyotes probably realized that by now...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The thing is that he can't. He's just not good enough. All teams but the Coyotes probably realized that by now...

Well, we'll trust what they can and can't do for on the ice surface, instead of rhetoric about how players like Connauton isn't "good enough" and Vrbata is "done" when he clearly wasn't.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, we'll trust what they can and can't do for on the ice surface, instead of rhetoric about how players like Connauton isn't "good enough" and Vrbata is "done" when he clearly wasn't.

Blah. Just because I was wrong on Vrbata that doesn't mean I'm always wrong. I'm happy if we get something out of a crap player like Connauton, but I don't see it happening. Like I said...got waived by just about the worst team a year ago, has hardly played ever since...and when he did, he wasn't good enough. Let's face it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Oh, okay, I gotcha. Well, DeAngelo's not coming back up until he gets his crap together, and I think they're letting Wood have a big year in the A before exposing him to the NHL, so I have no problem with dialing Connauton in, as mediocre as he is.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
My guess is showcasing (Connauton) as well, along with realizing that Chychrun is a young player who may not be ready for extensive NHL play at this point. Yes, he's done well, but it was a surprise that he's done so well. As mentioned, we aren't competing for a playoff spot, so give the kid some time off (the same goes for Crouse). I also wouldn't mind seeing Perlini and/or Dvorak get some time off at this point in the season if we can make some moves to allow some of them to switch out every once in a while (or bring in Jooris/Holland to reduce some of the wear and tear on the youngsters).

In terms of Domingue, they should definitely be playing him more at this point in the season (despite Smith doing okay). For one, as mentioned, DT isn't a huge fan, so Domingue would be a decent piece in a trade (since he has shown he can do well if given the opportunity). Personally, I'd like to see Domingue start in EDM, LA (or SJ), ANH, and CHI. Smith starts in SJ (or LA) and DAL. Domingue in BUF and BOS. See what happens at the deadline and go from there.

If we acquire a BU goalie of some sort at the TDL (for LD--I'm guessing Smith ain't going anywhere), try him out in BUF 2 and one of the CARs. Smith back in net for CAR 2. Re-evaluate after that (11 games) and decide whether to play Smitty or whoever is the BU is (depending on quality).

If we don't move LD, balance out the starts a bit for the rest of the season. I know Smith wouldn't like it, but it's not like he's going anywhere.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

He was picked up off waivers. He would clear them tomorrow. He's fine as an injury fill-in, but so is Tinordi or a hundred other spare parts. Everyone has a guy like this. The only way you move him is if you convince someone to take him as a contract to balance a trade. He has no value.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
He did show some offensive wiles last season (for a bit), but I agree he'd probably clear waivers. So, I think it is more to give Chychrun a rest than anything else (he might be recovering from something minor). It doesn't hurt to showcase either, some team may be willing to throw in a late pick (6th/7th) for him if they are struggling with a lot of injured D-men. Connauton is a marginal NHLer (7th/8th), which may be a decent addition for some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad