Post-Game Talk: GAME 53 - 40 wins with 29 games remaining - BRUINS 3 Dallas 2 F/OT

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yeah I think that's worth trying. More low to high, and some quicker puck movement. You need to stretch and shift around the defenders more before you go for that east-west pass or send it into the slot or crease. Seems at the moment like there's too much just working the puck around the umbrella and then trying to force a setup pass that hasn't been earned and isn't there.

Also I often wonder how the Caps get away with the same old play of having Ovi basically standing in the circle game after game and looking to tee him up for one-timers. Been doing it for years and its utterly predictable and yet its success rate is still pretty high. Pasta's shot isn't quite as heavy as Ovechkin's but it's not that far off. To me that position on the left half wall is his spot for PPs. Doesn't mean you try to overuse him but that's where he should be hovering 80-90% of the time. He's got a weapon that the opposition has to respect and can't afford to cheat on, so to me having him there gives you an advantage - even if he's not getting a lot of shots off he's probably still going to be creating a little more space elsewhere simply by posing a threat. Conversely when he's wandering the blue line or carrying the puck he's much easier to nullify.

I think Backstrom and Carlson are better passers than Bergeron and McAvoy\Lindholm. Not a lot better but better and Carlson can shoot it which makes the PK more honest.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Bergeron and Krejci retire and Chychrun doesn't materialize you may be forced to
see Zacha and Hall as your #1\2 centers...lol. Although those two would keep
Coyle as a #3 C. Wonder if #88 would be ok with #18 or #71 as his pivot on a go forward basis.

Top 6 would probably roll like this

63-71-88
74-18-Lysell

Sweeney would need to go for a FA winger for certain.
Hall has not played center at the NHL level.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I didn't realize how cold Bergy had been since the announcers mentioned it last night (I had the Dallas feed). 3 pts in the last 10? Guess it's not super surprising that overlays perfectly with our slump.

Really quality win. Feels good.
I’d consider splitting up Marchand & Bergeron for a game or two, just an attempt to snap them out of this recent funk.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yes he has with Edmonton.
They dicked around with it in preseason. Never had more than 105 faceoffs in a season in EDM (standard for a top line winger). He had 148 faceoffs his MVP year in NJ, but was not a center. He's taken 432 faceoffs in 381 career games.

The Bruins could actually go get someone to play center instead of playing Taylor Hall at center, just like they could go get a wing instead of playing Connor Clifton there.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
While not factoring in on any of the scoring. Marchand completely turned the tide of that game being a pain in the ass. He took a run at someone, then someone ran at him, then Clifton took a run. The speed of the game immediately upped and the Bruins scored.

Greer only played 7:31.
I thought he was very good in that short time.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bergeron and Krejci retire and Chychrun doesn't materialize you may be forced to
Coyle as a #3 C. Wonder if #88 would be ok with #18 or #71 as his pivot on a go forward basis.

63-71-88
74-18-Lysell

Maybe Hall will retire too.

Then what?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
In Halls rookie season in Edmonton he took a grand total of 105 face offs in 65 games played (roughly 1-1/2 face offs per game)

In his 2nd season in NJ he took 148 face offs in 76 games (2 face offs per game)

Taylor Hall has not played center in the NHL

You are absolutely wrong. There are articles on the internet on it.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
They dicked around with it in preseason. Never had more than 105 faceoffs in a season in EDM (standard for a top line winger). He had 148 faceoffs his MVP year in NJ, but was not a center. He's taken 432 faceoffs in 381 career games.

The Bruins could actually go get someone to play center instead of playing Taylor Hall at center, just like they could go get a wing instead of playing Connor Clifton there.

He played a few (3) RS games at center.

Lol, Clifton at wing compared to Hall at center is magnitude worse comparison than apples to oranges.

Of course they can go out and get another center.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Incredible Bruins could win a game where they were so owned on faceoffs. Bergy only 9-21, but Krejci, Coyle & Frederic combined for 3-27.

Zacha turned into Mark Messier late.

Ullmark was huge in OT.

Lindholm looked like the great player he was earlier in the season.

Hall scores, time for a hot steak.

Marchand & Bergeron starting to be worrisome.

Lindholm and Grzelcyk now one & two in the league in plus/minus.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

amazing

That PK with Carlo and Forbort was amazing, great ass save by Forbort too, Zacha picking up that puck in his own zone and literally exploding away from the Stars players was beautiful to watch

That's why I'm not opposed to Gavrikov at say a 1st (but just that). If you wind up facing Edmonton or Toronto or teams like that, your PK is just a beast. You'd dress your pairings a bit different imho.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

63-71-88
74-18-Lysell

I'd be shocked if Bergeron retires after this season. He's currently on pace for a fringe 30/30 season and next year is the teams 100th season. Pastrnak and Zacha have been playing together this season and appear to have good chemistry. Probably doesn't hurt that they are fellow countrymen.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'd be shocked if Bergeron retires after this season. He's currently on pace for a fringe 30/30 season and next year is the teams 100th season. Pastrnak and Zacha have been playing together this season and appear to have good chemistry. Probably doesn't hurt that they are fellow countrymen.

I expect Bergeron back for sure if they don't win The Cup. If they do, he may retire.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad