GDT: Game # 52 - Rangers @ Islanders - 7pm - MSG

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I
What do you expect? He’s not going to tell the truth. He’ll try to soften the blow as much as he can. He’ll say anything to avoid making himself look bad as well

The point I’m making is last night’s game was pretty much lost before it began and injuries more than anything else put us behind the proverbial 8 ball. I mean I don’t what you were thinking when you saw Reunanen in for Lindgren but the trade off wasn’t good for us and neither is Jones for Trouba.

Once the Islanders get ahead then they’re an almost impossible team to play against. We all should know this. Lamoriello has been perfecting this kind of check you into the ground style since the early 90’s. With the D we had last night we never really had much chance. We were going to give up something.

Reactions: jay from jersey

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I

The point I’m making is last night’s game was pretty much lost before it began and injuries more than anything else put us behind the proverbial 8 ball. I mean I don’t what you were thinking when you saw Reunanen in for Lindgren but the trade off wasn’t good for us and neither is Jones for Trouba.

Once the Islanders get ahead then they’re an almost impossible team to play against. We all should know this. Lamoriello has been perfecting this kind of check you into the ground style since the early 90’s. With the D we had last night we never really had much chance. We were going to give up something.
Agreed but I’ll go one further. Up against a good physical team, especially when the game is tight because of the high stakes, the rangers have a 1-10 chance of coming out strong and really playing that opponent tough for 60 min. There’s also a 95% probability that Quinn is going to be out coached by his counter part. It’s like clock work.

this team needs a major shake up and identity change fast. Or were in danger of watching the same thing happen next year.
I wish I could bet on how bad the rangers suck at face offs. It’s been my pet peeve since the 4th or 5th game of the year. The Quinnies said it’s not coaching, it’s all on the players. I beg to differ

Deleted member 23124

Agreed but I’ll go one further. Up against a good physical team, especially when the game is tight because of the high stakes, the rangers have a 1-10 chance of coming out strong and really playing that opponent tough for 60 min. There’s also a 95% probability that Quinn is going to be out coached by his counter part. It’s like clock work.

this team needs a major shake up and identity change fast. Or were in danger of watching the same thing happen next year.
I wish I could bet on how bad the rangers suck at face offs. It’s been my pet peeve since the 4th or 5th game of the year. The Quinnies said it’s not coaching, it’s all on the players. I beg to differ
When you think about it, when was the last time the Rangers were good on face offs?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I

I

Oh yea I’m agreeing with you. I’m just saying no way Quinn wants to take accountability on these losses. It’s always some shit comment or remark and then the

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Kids are excused. The vets are not.

But why? The kids are excused from showing grit and or pushback? Come on— that’s a vital quality to show and I see virtually none of that from Laf, absolutely 0 from Chytil, a bit more from Kappo and occasionally from Miller. I’ll give the kids a break in that they are too young to be difference makers night in and night out, but the grit and pushback should be at their max right now as they try and solidify spots next year. Most of these young guys are playing like they are guaranteed a spot next season! Talk about allowing complacency to kick in already!

Quinn would be wise to say “each and every guy on this roster is playing for a spot next year in these last games. We need to evaluate players best right now and I’m simply not seeing that.” Instead we just get excuses about how the other team is good yada yada yada...

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I just don't get why so many people here would want rid of the guys who play well (not the last 2 games). When Trouba and Kreider play certain posters are all over them. Now when they aren't there and we look like shit it is about getting rid of Strome, Mika and Buchnevich. I mean Blackwell became a whipping boy essentially for outplaying young guys for most of the season.

Last night Laf had more time than Panarin, Kakko had more time than Strome. The more Quinn gives youth a chance the more the board complains, because guess what, they aren't ready to be the top guys.

Instead of wanting rid of our best players for prospects and picks try to remember how easy it is to spiral into one of those teams with lots of promising youngsters who stay crap for 10 years constantly replenishing their prospect pool only to find out 5 years later the kids aren't special. You guys wanted a rebuild, fine, as far as I'm concerned it's going ok, but we NEED good players now.

We don't want to add extra pressure to a kid who has 39 points in 111 games and expect him to be the star. Kakko doesn't look like he will be a star atm, but his best chance is patience and slowly building his way into a top role. Laf looks better imo, but not the kind of guy you ask to take a team on his back yet. Panarin, Mika, Buchnevich, Kreider, Trouba and even role guys like Blackwell and Rooney are needed in order to help the kids develop. Sticking the young guys out for 20 minutes a night for a bunch of losses is going to have a negative effect.

This is not me blaming the youngsters for the last two games. No excuse for that. Almost everyone needs to have a word with themselves. It looked heartless and we just rolled over. Motivating doesn't seem to be a strength of Quinn and I frankly miss the way we looked when he was at home.

We need better vets is the issue, not just dumping them and playing the kids. Mika at this point is my main concern because he looks great as long as we're playing a less physical team that gives us the middle, its when we play a team that traps and makes us work for space that he becomes invisible, and at 6'4 he shouldn't be. This guy has amazing skill but he isn't dragging anyone into a tough game, this is essentially why we don't have a captain, it should be Mika or Kreider but they haven't jumped up and taken it. I've always liked Mika but I don't wanna pay him like a number 1 center if he's gonna wilt when we play tough to play against teams, thats part of what you get paid big money for and it's not like he is a kid, this is what he is. I just dont know where we find someone that fits our timeline, I've been saying it for 2 years that this team needed to draft some centers and they haven't.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oh yea I’m agreeing with you. I’m just saying no way Quinn wants to take accountability on these losses. It’s always some shit comment or remark and then the

The Rangers are bad at face offs. In a normal year Mika is a 50/50 guy. The rest are sub and Chytil’s the worst at it. Most younger centers aren’t great at this. The Rangers could use a Brian Boyle type—the problem is then likely you’re spending big $’s for a 4th line vet.

on the question of coaching accountability. I’m trying to think of instances of coaches blaming themselves for their team’s losses. Now and again a coach might say ‘this decision of mine cost us the game’ but they’re extremely rare.

Quinn is hardly perfect and he certainly has some gormless moments. I can’t imagine that over a couple years worth of pre and post game press conferences I wouldn’t say a whole bunch of stupid shit. To me I think the team has been making real progress but the training wheels come off next year. It’s playoffs or bust and if the team can’t do it then it’s time for another coach but I’m not interested in the Julien’s or Gallant’s and I wouldn’t go anywhere near Babcock.

Last edited:

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021

Seriously. Quinn hasn’t had a point all series- I honestly can’t remember the last time he scored.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
10 wins out of 18, against playoff teams, with 4 more to go. 69GF 81GA

We scored 12 goals against the Islanders in 8 games.

You should check out how all the good teams fared against the bottom teams this season. It would be quite the eye-opener for you.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'm confident Miller will get stronger and be more of a physical force. Never a bruiser but develop a mean streak and also add more offense. Remember he's a rookie who has played like around 50 games and is a year earlier than projected.

This is all good for Jones as the equivalent of an internship.

This team needs help with faceoffs and sandpaper. I don't know if it's Quinn doesn't get what's going on or the team doesn't listen or the message is getting lost, you can't have the cross ice passes and finesse stuff against this team.

Look at Tampa when they plated the Islander last year. They cycled and were physical.

Panarin in an awesome regular season player but he's basically Rick Nash 2.0 when the going gets tough.

Two things:

Players without sandpaper don't develop that trait.

Your take on Panarin in the playoffs is one of the single most inaccurate things ever stated. Either you haven't watched his career, or worse, you have, and can't process it correctly.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The Rangers were up shit creek before the game even started. Look at the D. After Fox we had one vet Smith, essentially two rookies in Miller and Hajek, Jones playing his 6th NHL game and Reunanen his second. That’s one vulnerable looking defense.

......and then the Islanders did something we’ve seen them do time and again—a game plan like Lou had with the Devils—they clogged open ice everywhere and waited for mistakes to counterattack and it’s not just the Rangers who have a problem with this. Most of the rest of the league does as well.

Don't bring facts to a lynching.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Yes Quinn's obviously not a good coach and it's disappointing that they can't strategically match teams like the Islanders (coach has a lot to do with that) but jeez young teams (2nd youngest in the league, in fact) go through growing pains and you can't be acting like a 16-year old girl who got dumped on prom night every time they lose. Mika sucks, Filip sucks, K'Andre sucks, Strome sucks... wah wah wah grab a Snickers and go offline.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
On the contrary, they will be much better next year.
Hope you are right, but not exactly sure how that will be possible without getting away from the rebuild plan. We will probably be down offense with the loss of Buch/Strome/Mika, but will gain experience over the course of the year for the kids. Experience is what we need anyway. The kids won't be ready to start the year out the gate all by themselves.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
It's obvious that this team is skilled but they lack the commitment to get on the forecheck, to take hits to make plays, to maintain structure under pressure. A team like the Isles will trap a team like the Rangers into submission. The game plan should be to get pucks behind their D and forecheck the hell out of them. The skill will show up, but it can't be relied upon to generate chances against a team like the Isles. It's really a mindset that the team needs to adopt if they want to progress. I really don't know if Quinn is the guy who can get his players to make that nightly commitment. He may be, and maybe the team needs a couple of roster moves to get the right kind of secondary players on the roster. My opinion is right now, this team is too young and inexperienced. They also lack a true leader in the room. Maybe one of the kids grows into that role. Maybe a big move needs to be made to shake up the roster. If I were Mika, I wouldn't be making any NYC real estate investments.

FWIW, I think Trotz is a coach who gets the most out of his players, but his system is no secret. With that said, they lack enough talent to make a Cup run. They will run into a more skilled team in the playoffs who will beat them at their own game.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
For those of you complaining that the Rangers beat up on the crap teams and smell against the good teams and use that as an indictment of them, you're unaware of the reality of the NHL. That's how it works for almost every team.

This is approximately how the best teams are performing against this years likely playoff teams (I used the same opponents for all of them):

Isles are 7W 14 L against likely playoff teams.
Car 10/6
Fla 5/9
TB 7/7
Pitt 13/9
Wash 11/12
Bos 11/11
Tor 17/8
Edm 12/13
Winn 11/15
Mtl 10/13
LV 10/9
Col 13/10
Minn 8/12
St. 9/11

I don't know if it works this way every season, but this season, the best teams are all feasting on the crap, just like the Rangers do, even though they are not a top team.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Hope you are right, but not exactly sure how that will be possible without getting away from the rebuild plan. We will probably be down offense with the loss of Buch/Strome/Mika, but will gain experience over the course of the year for the kids. Experience is what we need anyway. The kids won't be ready to start the year out the gate all by themselves.

Laf, Fox, Lindgren, Kakko, Jones, Kravtsov, and Chytil will all be ready and better next season. If not, it has nothing to do with the vets. It's their own fault.

Adding the Swedish Dman and natural progression ensures a better team, barring disastrous multiple injuries.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Laf, Fox, Lindgren, Kakko, Jones, Kravtsov, and Chytil will all be ready and better next season. If not, it has nothing to do with the vets. It's their own fault.

Adding the Swedish Dman and natural progression ensures a better team, barring disastrous multiple injuries.
I would be so pleasantly surprised if 6 months of off-season is all it takes for those kids to grow together as a mature, cohesive, experienced team and win a playoff spot. Over half the team next year will be either on ELC or first RFA contracts. Playing against grown men in their primes. Look at the teams ahead of them now, their avg age, their cap situation, their contract situation. Anything can happen but odds are not next year.
And the Rangers aren't the only team that is going to get better.
Next year isn't their turn just yet. For all our sake's as fans, they better improve though. Things should be looking better after next year.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Two things:

Players without sandpaper don't develop that trait.

Your take on Panarin in the playoffs is one of the single most inaccurate things ever stated. Either you haven't watched his career, or worse, you have, and can't process it correctly.

Yea lol Panarin is a fantastic playoff performer wtf is this?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I would be so pleasantly surprised if 6 months of off-season is all it takes for those kids to grow together as a mature, cohesive, experienced team and win a playoff spot. Over half the team next year will be either on ELC or first RFA contracts. Playing against grown men in their primes. Look at the teams ahead of them now, their avg age, their cap situation, their contract situation. Anything can happen but odds are not next year.
And the Rangers aren't the only team that is going to get better.
Next year isn't their turn just yet. For all our sake's as fans, they better improve though. Things should be looking better after next year.

It's not their turn to win the Cup, but they will absolutely be ready to be a playoff team next season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I gotta add since it’s a trend. Kravtsov came in looking tremendous. After two weeks with David Quinn he’s regressed back to putting up nothing. This is the story with every kid that comes in. Even Brett Howden impressed early and now is what he is. I’m worried about every young forward under this coaching staff and I hope this guy is gone ASAP.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I gotta add since it’s a trend. Kravtsov came in looking tremendous. After two weeks with David Quinn he’s regressed back to putting up nothing. This is the story with every kid that comes in. Even Brett Howden impressed early and now is what he is. I’m worried about every young forward under this coaching staff and I hope this guy is gone ASAP.

The kids are almost all improving nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad