GDT: Game # 52 - Rangers @ Islanders - 7pm - MSG

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
And yet he still turned you guys down

That’s real tough lol

Kinda glad he did, never would've been able to fit a lot of key players under the cap. But you're right, I did want him at the time. Sort of like Tavares. I think your biggest problem is Strome though.

"We don't have to play like them"

Not exactly sure what he means by that but I'm pretty sure the only thing missing from the Rangers game is :

Doing exactly more of what the Islanders are doing and getting rid of the country club stuff. I would ask him :

"What exactly do you mean by not playing like them? (Hitting? No shifts off? Playing Responsible/Physical?) You guys have a good team but the coach has to change the mentality. We have guys like Bailey who could be soft as butter and used to get lost a lot under Weight. He now knows better than to do that under Trotz and has turned into an extremely responsible player. You guys got a lot of talent and TBH your future is bright. You just got to get your coaching squared away. A good coach would make many players have to answer for a game like this.

Reactions: tbassler

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm confident Miller will get stronger and be more of a physical force. Never a bruiser but develop a mean streak and also add more offense. Remember he's a rookie who has played like around 50 games and is a year earlier than projected.

This is all good for Jones as the equivalent of an internship.

This team needs help with faceoffs and sandpaper. I don't know if it's Quinn doesn't get what's going on or the team doesn't listen or the message is getting lost, you can't have the cross ice passes and finesse stuff against this team.

Look at Tampa when they plated the Islander last year. They cycled and were physical.

Panarin in an awesome regular season player but he's basically Rick Nash 2.0 when the going gets tough.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This is the frustrating part of the rebuild where we show how good we can be but then show how bad we can be. I do think we will be a better team next season. Our kids will be better, they just will. Its Zibanejad, Kreider, Buch, Panarin and Strome i worry about. Are these playoff style players? Panarin, i feel is but what are the others? It's these games vs the Isles and Bruins that give me pause about them where these teams play playoff style hockey all year and our vets have no answer or pushback for it much like in the bubble last year. We are in a bit of a jam with Zibanejad because we have nothing coming to replace him with and im doubful we can pull off a trade like we did to aquire him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm confident Miller will get stronger and be more of a physical force. Never a bruiser but develop a mean streak and also add more offense. Remember he's a rookie who has played like around 50 games and is a year earlier than projected.

This is all good for Jones as the equivalent of an internship.

This team needs help with faceoffs and sandpaper. I don't know if it's Quinn doesn't get what's going on or the team doesn't listen or the message is getting lost, you can't have the cross ice passes and finesse stuff against this team.

Look at Tampa when they plated the Islander last year. They cycled and were physical.

Panarin in an awesome regular season player but he's basically Rick Nash 2.0 when the going gets tough.
I’d prefer not constructing our team around what the Islanders are doing.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
200.gif

Reactions: bl02

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
This is the frustrating part of the rebuild where we show how good we can be but then show how bad we can be. I do think we will be a better team next season. Our kids will be better, they just will. Its Zibanejad, Kreider, Buch, Panarin and Strome i worry about. Are these playoff style players? Panarin, i feel is but what are the others? It's these games vs the Isles and Bruins that give me pause about them where these teams play playoff style hockey all year and our vets have no answer or pushback for it much like in the bubble last year. We are in a bit of a jam with Zibanejad because we have nothing coming to replace him with and im doubful we can pull off a trade like we did to aquire him.
The same Panarin who has 28 points in 30 playoff games and was over a ppg in the playoffs for Columbus when he was far and away their biggest threat?

Of all our offensive threats he's the one im least worried about. Z on the other hand...

Edit: Sorry KBomb. Meant to quote the poster above you.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
This is good actually.

Sometimes a good beating is the only way to learn the truly hard lessons in life.

And these young Rangers will learn or they will continue to get their asses kicked.

Get better. Get tougher. Or get beat.

Literally.

Reactions: Pidto Files

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers were up shit creek before the game even started. Look at the D. After Fox we had one vet Smith, essentially two rookies in Miller and Hajek, Jones playing his 6th NHL game and Reunanen his second. That’s one vulnerable looking defense.

......and then the Islanders did something we’ve seen them do time and again—a game plan like Lou had with the Devils—they clogged open ice everywhere and waited for mistakes to counterattack and it’s not just the Rangers who have a problem with this. Most of the rest of the league does as well.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I just don't get why so many people here would want rid of the guys who play well (not the last 2 games). When Trouba and Kreider play certain posters are all over them. Now when they aren't there and we look like shit it is about getting rid of Strome, Mika and Buchnevich. I mean Blackwell became a whipping boy essentially for outplaying young guys for most of the season.

Last night Laf had more time than Panarin, Kakko had more time than Strome. The more Quinn gives youth a chance the more the board complains, because guess what, they aren't ready to be the top guys.

Instead of wanting rid of our best players for prospects and picks try to remember how easy it is to spiral into one of those teams with lots of promising youngsters who stay crap for 10 years constantly replenishing their prospect pool only to find out 5 years later the kids aren't special. You guys wanted a rebuild, fine, as far as I'm concerned it's going ok, but we NEED good players now.

We don't want to add extra pressure to a kid who has 39 points in 111 games and expect him to be the star. Kakko doesn't look like he will be a star atm, but his best chance is patience and slowly building his way into a top role. Laf looks better imo, but not the kind of guy you ask to take a team on his back yet. Panarin, Mika, Buchnevich, Kreider, Trouba and even role guys like Blackwell and Rooney are needed in order to help the kids develop. Sticking the young guys out for 20 minutes a night for a bunch of losses is going to have a negative effect.

This is not me blaming the youngsters for the last two games. No excuse for that. Almost everyone needs to have a word with themselves. It looked heartless and we just rolled over. Motivating doesn't seem to be a strength of Quinn and I frankly miss the way we looked when he was at home.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The Rangers were up shit creek before the game even started. Look at the D. After Fox we had one vet Smith, essentially two rookies in Miller and Hajek, Jones playing his 6th NHL game and Reunanen his second. That’s one vulnerable looking defense.

......and then the Islanders did something we’ve seen them do time and again—a game plan like Lou had with the Devils—they clogged open ice everywhere and waited for mistakes to counterattack and it’s not just the Rangers who have a problem with this. Most of the rest of the league does as well.
This is "we had some good looks" all over again...
What do you expect? He’s not going to tell the truth. He’ll try to soften the blow as much as he can. He’ll say anything to avoid making himself look bad as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->