GDT: Game # 52 - Rangers @ Islanders - 7pm - MSG

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
man this team gonna suck next year
If all 3 of Buch, Zibs and Strome are moved, I expect us getting a decent return on that. 2 of them in a package.

The thing is, the only guy easy to move out of those 3 is Buch. And for what return?

Reactions: Off Sides

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
If all 3 of Buch, Zibs and Strome are moved, I expect us getting a decent return on that. 2 of them in a package.

The thing is, the only guy easy to move out of those 3 is Buch. And for what return?
If the scenario is all three are moved, shocking but not impossible, there is no world that they replace them with comparable offensive output.
They wouldn't trade them for a vet with term, or someone established that would have to sign to term. They would trade for young upside, most likely. Or vet(s) that are not as offensively gifted. Point is, Rangers may very well be WORSE to start next year, and be in a deep whole by December. I would not be surprised at all.

*Edit* Best case scenario is the above + the kids turn the corner and end the year strong. I think that is very likely, and by fall 2022 we will be in good shape. We need time.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
10 wins out of 18, against playoff teams, with 4 more to go. 69GF 81GA

We scored 12 goals against the Islanders in 8 games.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
In order to play against teams like the Islanders, Canes, Bruins -- you need the forwards to physically engage. They need to take the body and retrieve pucks. The opposing D, no matter how big it is, needs to worry every time they have to turn around once the puck goes in deep. And we just don't have a forward group that's willing to do that. It starts with Zib, Strome and Panarin, but it then permeates through the roster. Players like Laf, Kakko, Barron, Gauthier and Chytil have the size to play that way. But in this game, really it was just Barron and Rooney who actually made hits. I get it that we're a bit more of a possession team, but if you don't tenderize better opponents, there just won't be enough room for the skill. The team is certainly not fast enough to beat opposition with speed. We need to find a way to win along the walls and take the puck to the net. These are the kinds of games where you need to score on screens, deflections and rebounds. I didn't see any of that at all in 2 whole games. None. Like not a even a shift of it.

I don't think Zib and Strome can be our centers if we're going to win anything. They're both too soft. Especially Strome. We must bring in a center or two who can play with initiative in games like this.

This also is likely a coaching issue. It's a real bummer to always be stopped by the same thing over and over again. And when the team comes up against an opponent that an exploit their weaknesses, our coach doesn't have a plan B other than mixing lines to "get guys going."

On one positive note -- Barron is a very strong, sturdy player. If he can engage a bit more and keep his legs moving, and use his body on every shift -- he will create some space out there. And he could be a very effective player for years to come.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not trying to be obtuse but why is it our young dmen like Miller get criticized but guys like Kakko don't? The fact is dmen need more patience and take more time to develop. I'm not giving up on Kakko or any of the top forward prospects who haven't been Producing but if a dman like Miller is gonna get criticized for not playing great then a top 2 pick should be for not putting the puck in the net with any kind of regularity.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If it’s any consolation to the folks freaking out these last few games will probably seal the deal that major changes will be made this summer.

Buchnevich gone, Zibanejad/Strome gone

Agreed, I just hope they figure it out. I've been a fan for too long to be optimistic.

Reactions: Cmox

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
In order to play against teams like the Islanders, Canes, Bruins -- you need the forwards to physically engage. They need to take the body and retrieve pucks. The opposing D, no matter how big it is, needs to worry every time they have to turn around once the puck goes in deep. And we just don't have a forward group that's willing to do that. It starts with Zib, Strome and Panarin, but it then permeates through the roster. Players like Laf, Kakko, Barron, Gauthier and Chytil have the size to play that way. But in this game, really it was just Barron and Rooney who actually made hits. I get it that we're a bit more of a possession team, but if you don't tenderize better opponents, there just won't be enough room for the skill. The team is certainly not fast enough to beat opposition with speed. We need to find a way to win along the walls and take the puck to the net. These are the kinds of games where you need to score on screens, deflections and rebounds. I didn't see any of that at all in 2 whole games. None. Like not a even a shift of it.

I don't think Zib and Strome can be our centers if we're going to win anything. They're both too soft. Especially Strome. We must bring in a center or two who can play with initiative in games like this.

This also is likely a coaching issue. It's a real bummer to always be stopped by the same thing over and over again. And when the team comes up against an opponent that an exploit their weaknesses, our coach doesn't have a plan B other than mixing lines to "get guys going."

On one positive note -- Barron is a very strong, sturdy player. If he can engage a bit more and keep his legs moving, and use his body on every shift -- he will create some space out there. And he could be a very effective player for years to come.

The difference between the styles of the two teams tonight is night and day. Chytil and any other Ranger who had speed through the neutral zone those rare times, gained the zone in the middle of the ice and then shoveled a lateral pass to the wing. Whereas the other team tonight passed INTO the middle. Granted, our dmen played on their heels instead of gapping up, giving them time and space, probably because they were scared to get pyloned if they dared step up at the blue line. Chytil, again and again, got angled outward to the boards on his rushes. When there was a little bit of space to curl in when they had the puck coming out from behind the net, they elected to stay to the outside and looked for a passing play to the half wall or to the point. How many times did you see the other team even try a criss-cross on the rush? Probably none or at most, you could count them on one hand. Everything was straight lines and funnel in to the middle of the ice.

Reactions: gravey9

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Kids are excused. The vets are not.
fair, I am not going to defend the performance you guys put on tonight

but I have definitely seen you guys play better as well. I think the Islanders just really wanted it after laying a turd against Washington. They played like a team possessed the last two games

I also echo the sentiments in this thread that the refs suck, they let stuff go on both sides all the time. just terrible

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Jones was decent besides the undressing by Barzal
I’ve thought he’s looked way better than Miller so far, and is improving notably every game. My only knock on him is that he’s been very selfish and took very low percentage shots when there were perfect passing lanes open. Which I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s just that he really wants his first NHL goal and that this selfishness will subside afterward.

Reactions: CLW

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
We fought this whole season until the end, we've made it interesting all season, still not even mathematically eliminated, focus on the positives. The party is just getting started with this team.

Reactions: Pidto Files

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If it’s any consolation to the folks freaking out these last few games will probably seal the deal that major changes will be made this summer.

Buchnevich gone, Zibanejad/Strome gone

Reminds me a lot of 1991 after the Capitals took care of the Rangers two years in a row. Neil Smith decided that team with Kissio-Ogrodnick-Mullen couldn't get it done.

A lot of similarities to Ziba/Buch/Panarin All great regular season players but can't step it up with tougher competition.

Reactions: Pidto Files

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad