Post-Game Talk: GAME #52: Canucks 5 @ Avalanche 1 (Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, Roussel, Motte)

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
32c65eddcacbb7e63e91f30b67cfbe50.jpg

Burnaby Joe is now your sullen, emotionally-distant Croatian uncle

Mike Gillis looks like his fatter Croatian brother.
gillis.jpg

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Roussel has been one of the teams top performers at ES. I have to admit I'm surprised. I thought he was basically toast the way things went for him in Dallas. He has been a solid and underrated contributor.

Yeah he looked totally washed and seemed like a high risk signing but so far it's hard to argue he isn't earning his pay. One Benning acquisition I haven't minded so far.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Strong team game apart from a few defensive gaffes (turnovers) that must give the coaches and the goalie heart palpitations, but really was pleasantly surprised at both the effort level and how sharp everyone was.

Also nice to have a game where the team didn’t need to be carried solely on the back of Pettersson - nice to let him have a night to relax, as his ice time would indicate.

Fantastic to see Virtanen and Goldobin bump their slumps as well.

Markstrom was excellent tonight.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Honestly I don't have a problem with it. Pettersson, like most rookies, has had a little trouble adjusting to the grind of the nhl. Coach Green is smart to rest him in games the canucks have already won.
Agreed..as much as I love to see him play..He wasn’t totally needed to play anymore than he did..

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I'm totally fine with Petey being sheltered. He's so young. I think we still haven't seen his final forme. Wait until he straps on some man muscle and turns into a total sausage cake.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Honestly I don't have a problem with it. Pettersson, like most rookies, has had a little trouble adjusting to the grind of the nhl. Coach Green is smart to rest him in games the canucks have already won.

Same reason the stars in the NBA rest in garbage time. I've personally never understood peoples clamoring for Pettersson to be out there for more EN opportunities. Stat padding isn't going to change how good he already is.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Decent effort after a long rest. Score is misleading - Colorado probably had more better scoring chances and more territory but our goalie made saves and theirs didn’t.

- Tanev was absolutely huge tonight and (as usual) the best Canuck. That said, major coaching fail by Bednar to keep feeding his top players to Tanev-Edler and not using last change to get them out against the Gudbranson trainwreck.

- Hutton and Stecher both awesome games. Probably the best game for that pairing. Stecher also was robbed of an assist on the 1-0 goal. Both players moved the puck well, pushed the play hard, and didn’t put a foot wrong defensively.

- Gudbranson-Pouliot are the Keystone Cops on pretty much every shift. Both players getting waived tomorrow and replaced by literally anything would improve the team. And teams *will* start exploiting them as we get into higher-stakes games down the stretch and we move to playoff coaching.

- Roussel-Virtanen line was excellent. Sutter wasn’t bad but was just kinda there. Gave a bunch of energy on a night where the top guys weren’t going.

- Pettersson line was poor other than Boeser’s laser snipe. Some of that might have to do with constantly getting saddled with the 3rd pairing. Goldobin wasn’t good at all tonight but boy did he need that goal.

- Horvat line also meh. Baertschi floated around and Leivo was invisible until the garbage time excellent PP pass.

- Beagle and Motte both had tons of jump and hustle tonight. Have seen the same cycle about 5 times this season now with Motte : 1) has several days off and is rested 2) plays really well with tons of jump! 3) Green creams his pants and plays him 18 minutes/game 4) Motte gets tired and loses his effectiveness and disappears for a long stretch 5) team gets another break.

- Markstrom isn’t just ‘a starter’ , he’s becoming a top one. Has been performing at an All-Star level for a couple months now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah he looked totally washed and seemed like a high risk signing but so far it's hard to argue he isn't earning his pay. One Benning acquisition I haven't minded so far.

Honestly, when you give a 30 y/o pest a $12 million deal for 4 years with a NTC coming off a season where he finished it with 50 games without scoring ... and then promptly has the best offensive season of his career, it’s probably just dumb luck.

Have said a million times that basically everything Benning does is betting on a low-percentage outcome. And when you make 10 moves that all have only a 10% chance of working out but one of those 10 does hit (as numbers will dictate probably happens) ... it doesn’t mean it was a good move grounded in sound logic.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Is Markstrom this season's Canucks MVP? You could make that argument.

You could, but it would be very difficult to do so with how Pettersson has come in and just completely changed the outlook of this team. Markstrom has probably stolen more games for us single-handedly in the second half so far, though. His December was just unbelievable.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Look, don't complain, just enjoy the games as they played, ok? If watching the games causes you to be upset about what you are seeing, why are you watching?????

I'm not surprised you aren't capable of understanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad