Post-Game Talk: GAME 52 - B's lose 4th in 5 games - Washington 2 BRUINS 1

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The problem with playing Hall consistently on the 3rd line is eventually he's going to start playing like an average 3rd liner. Some players rise above and/or take advantage of mismatches - Hall is not that guy. His entire career has shown that when you put him with compatible talent he can shine, if not then he has a strong tendency to go very quiet.

It's no insult to Coyle and Freddie and occasionally Foligno - those guys are fine are what they do. But they're bottom 6 forwards and play accordingly. Taylor just doesn't seem to know how to work with them and produce whilst playing that style. Ideally having him on the 3rd line should be a luxury that shows the team's depth and allows them to take advantage of it. But it's not working out that way. All we're getting is occasional flashes and very little substance.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Probably fair to say that Monty's honeymoon period is over. He's been able to come in, bring some fresh ideas and approach and tactics to a playing group that's been very receptive of them, and done a terrific job. But the novelty and freshness of that has worn off and now it's about getting into the grind of keeping the players dialled in and motivated day after day, countering the tactics being put in place by opponents to negate your plans and style, and addressing problems as they arise.

The Bruins' offense is stuttering, the PP is awful, the absence of DeBrusk has been keenly felt, Hall is struggling, the defense has still been pretty solid in its own end but is less effective in transition. None of these issues are insurmountable, nor have the Bruins overall been playing that bad. But they're challenges, and now we see how Jim and the rest of the coaching staff respond to them, and what sort of help Sweeney can bring in. Interesting times ahead.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Probably fair to say that Monty's honeymoon period is over. He's been able to come in, bring some fresh ideas and approach and tactics to a playing group that's been very receptive of them, and done a terrific job. But the novelty and freshness of that has worn off and now it's about getting into the grind of keeping the players dialled in and motivated day after day, countering the tactics being put in place by opponents to negate your plans and style, and addressing problems as they arise.

The Bruins' offense is stuttering, the PP is awful, the absence of DeBrusk has been keenly felt, Hall is struggling, the defense has still been pretty solid in its own end but is less effective in transition. None of these issues are insurmountable, nor have the Bruins overall been playing that bad. But they're challenges, and now we see how Jim and the rest of the coaching staff respond to them, and what sort of help Sweeney can bring in. Interesting times ahead.
They will have very little practice time the rest of the way.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Pass pass pass. Pass. Pass. Pass pass. And another pass. To the bitter end they just made pass after pass

Probably still in the garden making passes as I type this

Jesus Christ.
6E4E9AA9-B076-4677-B572-01ADCD57903D.gif

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I know this won't be popular but here goes...........What gets me most on these boards is how we are not allowed to call out Pasta's short comings, of which there are plenty. Other than being an elite goal scorer, he sucks at EVERYTHING ELSE, there, I said it and I'll go to my grave with it. Probably the most overrated player in the league.

I disagree with almost everything you post but you nailed this one.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The effort tonight is the opposite I want them to walk into the playoffs with.

They played a painfully soft hockey game.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Taylor Hall has a no trade clause doesn't he?

You can infer the rest of what I am thinking.

Hall has a modified NTC with a 16-team no trade list. There is definitely an arguable case for trading him. The Bruins' top 6-calibre wingers are Marchand, DeBrusk, Hall, Zacha and Pasta. Four of those guys can play 2LW but obviously only one at a time. Marchy is stapled to Bergy's left and Jake has made himself at home with them. Zacha has a more natural chemistry with his fellow Czechs and offers more versatility in that he can also play center.

Hall is the logical odd man out. So he goes to the 3rd line but after an extended run at this it's clearly not working. That feels increasingly unlikely to change.

On top of that the top 6 feels a bit soft. It struggles to break down heavy defenses and teams with a strong forechecking game, and that's been the case to one point or another for a few years now. Adding a more physical presence, or at least someone who offers a point of difference and an ability to create space, could well be beneficial. Or you could also argue that it could benefit from an injection of raw speed. Hall's sitting on $6m in cap space that's not really getting a lot of effective use at the moment that perhaps could be put to work in either of those causes.

There it is. I'm not really on board with the idea of trading Taylor, at least not yet. You have to factor in team chemistry and what the possible return would be and a couple of other things, and it may also be that Hall winds up back with Krejci and that works well again, or some other effective solution is found. Trades of even semi-core pieces are risky. It also just doesn't feel like the kind of move Sweeney makes. So I doubt Hall is going anywhere. It's an interesting thought though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
His production says otherwise.

72 Points in 51 GP
115 Point pace
61 Goal pace

Cap goes up.
Loves Boston
Superstar.

He’s worth every penny.
While Pasta is an "ELITE" scorer, which your stats highlight, he is "NOT" a complete player. Not yet.
He still makes a lot of mental errors, forcing plays that are not there. Marchand has a bit of the same issue.
He is worth big money, but not setting the new top of market money. That's why I say 8x11mil.
Either way his next contract will screw the B's without an effective pipeline of young forwards, on the cheap.

He's not McKinnon, or McDavid. They play chess while others play checkers. Teams have already figured out how to defend him on the powerplay. (Much like defending Stamkos or Ovechkin, takeaway the one-timer from the top of the circle)

I love Pasta, but not at > 11mil. The Cap will go up in 2-3 years. Are you accepting being a defendable offense with great defense till then. Without Bergs or Krech, lets see what Pasta's stat line looks like. It's not going to be like it is now. As a single threat, he will be defendable and will wear down trying not to be. 11 million is a lot of money, would you turn it down if that's the best offer, or go to a team with a younger foundation. B's got to pay him, but he has all the juice here.

Krazee thought, but if Bergs and Krecji don't come back, and Pasta won't sign. Do you trade him and a 1st for Connor Bedard and start over? Just causing trouble, hope it doesn't come to that!:sarcasm:

This is not a reaction to a trap game, we lost. I expected them to lose their intensity. It was impossible to maintain the pace they were on and the 2nd half schedule it certainly against them cruising to a historical record.

Reactions: BBruins

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
While Pasta is an "ELITE" scorer, which your stats highlight, he is "NOT" a complete player. Not yet.
He still makes a lot of mental errors, forcing plays that are not there. Marchand has a bit of the same issue.
He is worth big money, but not setting the new top of market money. That's why I say 8x11mil.
Either way his next contract will screw the B's without an effective pipeline of young forwards, on the cheap.

He's not McKinnon, or McDavid. They play chess while others play checkers. Teams have already figured out how to defend him on the powerplay. (Much like defending Stamkos or Ovechkin, takeaway the one-timer from the top of the circle)

I love Pasta, but not at > 11mil. The Cap will go up in 2-3 years. Are you accepting being a defendable offense with great defense till then. Without Bergs or Krech, lets see what Pasta's stat line looks like. It's not going to be like it is now. As a single threat, he will be defendable and will wear down trying not to be. 11 million is a lot of money, would you turn it down if that's the best offer, or go to a team with a younger foundation. B's got to pay him, but he has all the juice here.

Krazee thought, but if Bergs and Krecji don't come back, and Pasta won't sign. Do you trade him and a 1st for Connor Bedard and start over? Just causing trouble, hope it doesn't come to that!:sarcasm:

This is not a reaction to a trap game, we lost. I expected them to lose their intensity. It was impossible to maintain the pace they were on and the 2nd half schedule it certainly against them cruising to a historical record.
Pastas contract wont hurt the b's it just means sweeney gets to sign 1 less Foligno type deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad