Post-Game Talk: GAME 51 - #$@&%*!#$@&%*! Flyers 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have a feeling that this team is experiencing a massive sophomore slump from all the kids. Between Cehlarik, Heinen, Donato, Bjork (injured, I know), McAvoy, Gryz, Carlo (been strong most of season), there are a lot of players that I think need this year to help try and put it together for next year. I'm not expecting much more from this squad this year, but have high hopes for next year. At this point next year, we'll know who is a bust and who isn't. Right now though, lots of growing pains happening, at least I think so. Lots of players with talent and potential still learning how to be pros at the top.

think DS and company took a risk this summer in staying, for the most part, away from UFA signings that would handcuff them cap wise. Moore was signed for good number, then he went out and got Nordy/Wags as bottom 6 depth players essentially keeping his fingers crossed the kids would duplicate or perhaps exceed last year`s performance. It clearly hasn`t worked. I`ve seen sophmore slumps, not sure I`ve seen essentially everyone who qualified as a sophmore to go through it, JD included, has had nice spurts then long stretches where he`s done little.

So, DS took a risk, wasn`t willing to go into the UFA pool and overpay, now here they are, struggling to find a player or two who can help. I`m actually not PO at DS for standing his ground over the summer but it`s clear he`ll need to address things pretty soon here or the B`s will be on the outside looking in come playoff time IMO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was out last night, so I could only follow on my phone. Tried reading the PGT, and it just depressed me. I'm losing faith in this team.

I`m losing faith in this team as it`s currently sitting with the personnel they have, need to snag someone and soon

I too was wrong, although I did understand and was willing to accept that the kids would have their ups and downs this year, just never envisioned this

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
was looking over the bruins season stats...

still second on pp... still top 5 in gaa

they say in playoffs defense wins... and you got to score on your pp opportunities

top line has been unstoppable all year... would be all top 20 scorers if Bergeron wasn't hurt

the offense and pk are middle of the pack but certainly not bottom of the league.

all in all... the numbers prove what we see with our eye... bottom 6 scoring and support from the defense has been very weak. a McAvoy injury and struggling play certainly didn't help the defense.

as for the bottom 6 scoring... its been showing some signs of live the last 10-15 games.

getting the desired top 6 guy will push everyone down the depth chart and should help. federic has shown some signs of life... ceharik may or may not be able to pitch in som needed offense depth...

can we afford to deal a first round pick 2 years in a row? if we aren't going to get past tampa anyhow I vote no. can we afford to deal some surplus kids that are repetitive on the depth chart? I vote yes.

left shot wings and left shot dmen are the currency we have to offer

if pannarin was willing to resign an extension with us... I might be ok paying for him... but that type of guy would cost us assets like jake debrusk. it might be too much to give up.

I say we go after carter in LA and pay a much cheaper price to get him
Yep, Carter is the way to go. Do not trade DeBrusk.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Comparing Heinen to Kuraly and Wagner is pointless. They are completely different types of players. He’s getting flack because he’s an easy target. What exactly did Nordstrom do to “show more life”? I didn’t notice him at all.

If you want to talk about mistakes last night, talk about Kuraly and his bonehead lack of coverage on the Giroux goal. McAvoy has the puck deep, and Kuraly was the high forward. Him not falling back earlier, along with Chara’s bad read, led to that goal.

Comparing them directly is pointless.

Comparing them to their current impact on the team is not. I gave shit to Kuraly when he stunk it up on the 4th line too. The fact is Kuraly and Wagner are performing their roles as expected if not surpassing expectations. Meanwhile Heinen himself isn't even doing that on the third line.

Nordstrom practically scored and Hart had to make a desperation save. He was in the right spot and was using his skill all over the ice. What did Heinen do?

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Secondary scoring, secondary scoring, secondary scoring.

The last non top line goal was 162.32 minutes ago by Heinen in the Jets game in the 1st period 3 games ago.

A one line team cant win.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Comparing them directly is pointless.

Comparing them to their current impact on the team is not. I gave **** to Kuraly when he stunk it up on the 4th line too. The fact is Kuraly and Wagner are performing their roles as expected if not surpassing expectations. Meanwhile Heinen himself isn't even doing that on the third line.

Nordstrom practically scored and Hart had to make a desperation save. He was in the right spot and was using his skill all over the ice. What did Heinen do?

We are giving credit to guys for being where they are supposed to and almost scoring? Then Heinen is Golden, he almost scored last night too :laugh:

Well, he played good D, didn’t put himself out of position and give up a breakaway (like Kuraly). Had some good cycling in the O zone, set up Chara and Backes for good scoring chances and they both missed. Had another play where he had a nice lob to the back of the Philly net that allowed the not very fleet Backes to get in on the Flyers D and create another scoring chance.

Reactions: Pia8988

False Start

May 8, 2018
We are giving credit to guys for being where they are supposed to and almost scoring? Then Heinen is Golden, he almost scored last night too :laugh:

Well, he played good D, didn’t put himself out of position and give up a breakaway (like Kuraly). Had some good cycling in the O zone, set up Chara and Backes for good scoring chances and they both missed. Had another play where he had a nice lob to the back of the Philly net that allowed the not very fleet Backes to get in on the Flyers D and create another scoring chance.

For every one of those good plays there are plenty of plays that leave me shaking my head.

I wish I could get some live footage and cut up some video of why I don't like his play. The point is he's barely a plus out there on a shift to shift basis based on my eye test. I expected more from him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For every one of those good plays there are plenty of plays that leave me shaking my head.

I wish I could get some live footage and cut up some video of why I don't like his play. The point is he's barely a plus out there on a shift to shift basis based on my eye test. I expected more from him.

I expected more from him as well, I just don’t think he’s been remotely as bad as people make it out to be.

I have the video, just give me the time in the game where he’s so bad and I will tell you what I see. I have had to do it before when others have told me how awful he is.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I expected more from him as well, I just don’t think he’s been remotely as bad as people make it out to be.

I have the video, just give me the time in the game where he’s so bad and I will tell you what I see. I have had to do it before when others have told me how awful he is.
Next game I'll time stamp it haha. I don't have it based off of memory from last night.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have a feeling that this team is experiencing a massive sophomore slump from all the kids. Between Cehlarik, Heinen, Donato, Bjork (injured, I know), McAvoy, Gryz, Carlo (been strong most of season), there are a lot of players that I think need this year to help try and put it together for next year. I'm not expecting much more from this squad this year, but have high hopes for next year. At this point next year, we'll know who is a bust and who isn't. Right now though, lots of growing pains happening, at least I think so. Lots of players with talent and potential still learning how to be pros at the top.

I sincerely hope you are right that this is just a sophomore slump for the kids because if you're wrong... :help:

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I sincerely hope you are right that this is just a sophomore slump for the kids because if you're wrong... :help:

I think opposing coaches are preaching that the Bruins WILL make a mistake and we need to be ready. That certainly seemed to be the case the last 2 games.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I think opposing coaches are preaching that the Bruins WILL make a mistake and we need to be ready. That certainly seemed to be the case the last 2 games.
Every team makes mistakes though. That's not something coaches preach just against the Bruins. And it's not just kids making the mistakes. It was Chara who let Giroux get behind him for the breakaway at the end of the first last night.

Reactions: BMC

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Every team makes mistakes though. That's not something coaches preach just against the Bruins. And it's not just kids making the mistakes. It was Chara who let Giroux get behind him for the breakaway at the end of the first last night.

I still think he knew he could not catch Giroux so you see him look over to MacAvoy then move to cover the second man. MacAvoy never went after Giroux and so he was completely solo in on Rask.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
When Cassidy first stepped in he basically kept Julien's system but activated the defense into a 5 man attack at the offensive end. It worked wonders. These days it looks a whole lot like the old system where defensemen (aside from Krug) are expected to stay at the point and chip the puck in deep without following after it. As a result the offense has dried up from them and from lines 2-4 who depend on the movement of a 5 man attack to disrupt the defense and create opportunities.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I still think he knew he could not catch Giroux so you see him look over to MacAvoy then move to cover the second man. MacAvoy never went after Giroux and so he was completely solo in on Rask.

I’m pretty sure that McAvoy was not in on that play? He was deep in the Philly zone. I believe Kuraly was the other guy that didn’t get back on D.

Sequence starts at 1:05 of the video:

Flyers defeat Bruins in OT, extend winning streak to six

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
:laugh: This is the point we have reached? He's a better option than Acciari so we keep him in the lineup?

Laughable. He's being outplayed by both Kuraly and Wagner, that's unacceptable for a 3rd line player. I too, wish we could send him down.

Danton needs to pull his head out of his ass and win every shift he can. Being a good player for like 2 minutes a night and not producing is basically the reason he's getting all of this flack in the first place. Win the puck, make the correct plays, generate scoring chances. Heck even Nordstrom showed more life than Heinen did and he hasn't played in a month.

This an example. The 4th line is playing as they should and are slotted as such. The 2nd and 3rd line things are not 4th line things. Now is the 4th line a better 4th line and the 3rd line is a 3rd line. I'd say 100% yes.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This an example. The 4th line is playing as they should and are slotted as such. The 2nd and 3rd line things are not 4th line things. Now is the 4th line a better 4th line and the 3rd line is a 3rd line. I'd say 100% yes.

The issue I have is that the 4th line isn’t a 3rd line, it’s a good 4th line, but is getting 3rd line minutes. Get me a good 3rd line and play them 3rd line minutes and play the 4th line 4th line minutes...

:laugh:

Reactions: Tbrady12

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This team has had the same issues since 2016 so I have a hard time being outraged. That said it's not as bad as it seems.

Donny bet on his forward prospects and they all are worse than last year. His prospects values were at there highest this offseason and he missed the window to sell. That does not make acquiring depth scoring any easier. This summer we may have been able to get a team to bite on Heinen/Donato/Bjork plus picks for top 6 help. Now it looks like we'll have to sell Vaak or Frederic if we choose the trade route.

I still think we're one 25 goal 50 pt player from being a contender. We won't be TB or TOR on paper but they won't wanna play us in a playoff series.

Guys like DeBrusk can't be relied on to score in a top 6 role. However when they contribute like he did in the playoffs it's game breaking and what can help you win a series. We still need another legit top 6 forward and it's been the same hole since Eriksson left. Color me tired of clamoring for the same ****.
Sure, Donny was going to sell prospects after they had a great season and were playing in cheap contracts. Everyone saw this sophomore slump except him.:sarcasm: I don’t think two players at that will get us past Tampa or Washington. This team can only be fixed in the offseason. Trying to make a trade at the TD is just throwing away assets when this team isn’t ready. I hate to say it, but it’s true. Last year was a fluke and this year isn’t as bad as some people think. They need to make hard decisions. The defense was playing good earlier without a couple of guys on the ice. The forwards are in need of a retool. All of this should be done, again, in the offseason. They will get fleeced, if they try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are going to overpay.

Reactions: frankiess

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Anyway would it hurt Chara to show a bit of nastiness like he used to do?

I think it's up to him to set the tone as captain.
That boat has sailed under Clode. He is the captain but doesn’t set any time in the ice what’s so ever. It’s been like this for years. Guy is a monster and refuses to lay down the law. He’s been on the team one year to long already. He can’t transition the puck. The puck flies of his stick into the stands constantly. He’s at the heart of the toughness problem and he’s the captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad