GDT: Game 51: Detroit Red Wings @ Minnesota Wild - 1/22/2020 - 8 PM EST NBCSN

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I think he’s on pace for 25 goals and 47 points over 82 games if my math is right. That’d be a hell of a rookie year for the bust that he is.

In comparison kotkeniemi (who went third and started zadinas fall) is on pace for 14 goals and 18 points in his second nhl year.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
NBC guys said Zadina will be a top-9 player that tops out at 25-30 goals per. Then he scores 2 goals,
What "top-9" player scores 25-30 goals per year? Are we taking the prediction of 25-30 goals as an insult?

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
I think he’s on pace for 25 goals and 47 points over 82 games if my math is right. That’d be a hell of a rookie year for the bust that he is.
I'm not so sure that we can count on 25% of his goals pinballing around the front of the net before going in to scale up to an entire season

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not so sure that we can count on 25% of his goals pinballing around the front of the net before going in to scale up to an entire season

No, but we can also look at the ineptitude of the players he has played with over the course of the season being unable to capitalize on his set ups, and unable to effectively set him up. There are instances where his play should have resulted in a high danger chance, and I think it's fair to view last night as good karma for doing a lot of the good little things to earn his scoring.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

elite players and soarers get lucky because they put the puck in high danger areas. We’ve seen zadina snip show. We know he can do that. But these bounces, just look at last night, a pass through the slot (high danger area) deflects in. A shot through traffic (high danger area) deflects in. Also notice how he kept the shot low. A low rebound amongst a bunch of feet with the hell storm that is Givani Smith out front. He recognized the situation and shot for chaos.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Silver linings:

-The two youngest forwards in the Wings lineup continued to show rapid improvement
-Daley had a decent game and if he can keep it up maybe they can actually get halfway decent return for him at the deadline

Speaking of Daley and the deadline, I could be wrong but what I heard from McGuire was that he thought Daley could be a decent add for a playoff team and speculated that Dallas or Colorado could be a good fit for him. It was simply him speculating and not some "insider" info.

Nevertheless, I wake up this morning and scroll through Facebook and some Red Wings clickbait page has a link with a headline that says "Steve Yzerman has a new trade chip!" that links to a crappy rumor site article. The article reported that according to Pierre McGuire, Daley has asked for a trade, and the Avalanche and Stars are interested. Naturally, the comments on the FB post were just pure trash.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Silver linings:

-The two youngest forwards in the Wings lineup continued to show rapid improvement
-Daley had a decent game and if he can keep it up maybe they can actually get halfway decent return for him at the deadline

Speaking of Daley and the deadline, I could be wrong but what I heard from McGuire was that he thought Daley could be a decent add for a playoff team and speculated that Dallas or Colorado could be a good fit for him. It was simply him speculating and not some "insider" info.

Nevertheless, I wake up this morning and scroll through Facebook and some Red Wings clickbait page has a link with a headline that says "Steve Yzerman has a new trade chip!" that links to a crappy rumor site article. The article reported that according to Pierre McGuire, Daley has asked for a trade, and the Avalanche and Stars are interested. Naturally, the comments on the FB post were just pure trash.
FB is the CNN of the social media world.

Reactions: Konnan511

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Silver lining - Rantanen scored 38 pts on a crap Avalanche team during that throwaway year. Zadina will score a similarly minimal amount but has looked very dangerous all season. I believe we have a really great talent in him - as he continues to develop I can definitely see him becoming an elite scorer. A line of Laf-Larkin-Zadina would be incredible to watch.

also want Shane Wright in 2022 if we are still horrid by then
Brad Lambert and Jack Devine are also good choices, as is that Slovenian D-Man. Lots of high end prospects that draft.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
elite players and soarers get lucky because they put the puck in high danger areas. We’ve seen zadina snip show. We know he can do that. But these bounces, just look at last night, a pass through the slot (high danger area) deflects in. A shot through traffic (high danger area) deflects in. Also notice how he kept the shot low. A low rebound amongst a bunch of feet with the hell storm that is Givani Smith out front. He recognized the situation and shot for chaos.
When you're using these numbers and trying to project them out over a full season, and then also using those projections to crap on Kotkaniemi, who had a similar 12 points in his first 21 games... I'm not sure that quite adds up.

Like we KNOW he's that elite type of player that "earns" those lucky bounces? Did the same thing not apply to Kotkaniemi last year?

He's got 15 points. Lets see if he can keep it up

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Silver linings:

There was a point last night when Pierre said something along the lines of Daley having already met with Red Wings management and would be interested in pursuing a cup run if possible.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
When you're using these numbers and trying to project them out over a full season, and then also using those projections to crap on Kotkaniemi, who had a similar 12 points in his first 21 games... I'm not sure that quite adds up.

Like we KNOW he's that elite type of player that "earns" those lucky bounces? Did the same thing not apply to Kotkaniemi last year?

He's got 15 points. Lets see if he can keep it up

he’s the type of player that knows where to put the puck. Yes we know that. I’ll crap on zadina too if he regresses that drastically, what’s your point. Zadina having a great rookie year kotkeniemi having a shit sophomore year. Right now that’s all we KNOW so that’s what I’m speaking on. If zadina turns around next year and scores 18 points I’ll shit all over him. I don’t see how it’s not fair.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Smith is really starting to turn me into a fan, in the last two years he has made great strides in his game. He checks off a few boxes that we need on the team, he brings energy every shift and is willing to play tough. He’s great at causing havoc in front of the net and doesn’t seem out of place as a second pp. Pretty decent at cycling the puck down low and turning plays into low skill dirty scoring chances. He’s been a great surprise as turning into a valuable bottom 6 player because if you would of told me that two years ago during the prospect tournament I would of laughed at you to be honest.

Not gonna go into detail because a lot of points have already been made but zadina is still doing his thing on grabbing his cheese.

Now onto a couple negatives, flip is really starting to show that he’s losing a step in his game. He looks like he’s having a real trouble keeping up with the play. Didn’t look this bad at the beginning of the year.

I thought Daley looked pretty decent last night compared to the rest of the year that I’ve seen him then I heard about him wanting out. While it would be nice if he can elevate his play to get a better pick or even put him in a position where someone would even want him. What makes me mad though is it kinda solidifies what some others on here have even noted, that he has been sandbagging it this year.

Reactions: mantha39

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I've been watching the NHL long enough to know the "sophomore slump" is real. Very real. I'll never grade a young player on their second year in the NHL.

I agree. For the most part. There is often a fall in statistics. But going from 40-50 points to 18. If that actually happened, I wouldn’t be able to just brush that off. That’s bad.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I've been watching the NHL long enough to know the "sophomore slump" is real. Very real. I'll never grade a young player on their second year in the NHL.
Hell Mackinnon took 4 seasons before he realized his potential. He had a very good rookie campaign, following up with a season of relative regression (in terms of production) and stalling out for two seasons before him and Rantanen took off. Development is not linear but Kotkaniemi has not had a good season by any stretch. Hopefully he will bounce back.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Not Mantha, and more than we've missed Bernier? I disagree and I don't think it's even close.

I don't have the answer, but just for shits and giggles... The Red Wings since the start of last season:

With DeKeyser in the line-up: 60 games - 25-28-7 - 57pts - .475 Pts%
Without DeKeyser: 73 games - 19-47-7 - 45pts - .308pts%

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't have the answer, but just for ****s and giggles... The Red Wings since the start of last season:

He definitely reduces opposite scoring chances to prevent these every evening blowouts. Nemeth is the only good defenceman defensively there with him.

I hope at next season we have healthy DeKeyser, Nemeth and Seider promoted to have some balance and reliability in each pair to build on.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't have the answer, but just for ****s and giggles... The Red Wings since the start of last season:

Dekeyser and Nemeth are 2 Dmen in their prime which help this young roster stabilise the blue line and team defense. Both are very solid defensively.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit

Yeah, but what are they without Bernier this season? 85.4% of their points in the standings have been gotten when Bernier was in net this season. That leaves them only a 14.6% chance of earning a point in the standings without him this season.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Pierre and Eddie: Speaking about Daley for a large amount of time, when he has been brutal this season.
Eddie played and worked as commentator for the Penguins and Hawks. Daley has played for both, so it's not surprising that those two are ****ing his ****.

No, but we can also look at the ineptitude of the players he has played with over the course of the season being unable to capitalize on his set ups, and unable to effectively set him up. There are instances where his play should have resulted in a high danger chance, and I think it's fair to view last night as good karma for doing a lot of the good little things to earn his scoring.
Agreed, couple of lucky bounces makes up for some of Helm's missed chances. Z should have more assists if he played with guys who can shoot.

I didn;t watch the game, but I take it Perlini was pretty much useless even with Flip and Fabbri? Wonder if they give him a QO after the season, I really don;t see much use for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad