Post-Game Talk: Game 50 - WE GOT TROUBLE RIGHT HERE IN BRUINS CITY - PIT 4 BRUINS 3 F

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
who cares, it’s for a game not his career. Maybe calling him out will be sufficient

Bruce certainly didn't have problem benching Grizz for poor play, and Charlie has arguably had more bad games. He sits for one game, Kampfer comes in, or even triple P. Might help? Then again, and I try to remember this, Bruce knows the players a lot better than we do, and maybe has the sense of who responds best to what.

Reactions: LouJersey

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruce certainly didn't have problem benching Grizz for poor play, and Charlie has arguably had more bad games. He sits for one game, Kampfer comes in, or even triple P. Might help? Then again, and I try to remember this, Bruce knows the players a lot better than we do, and maybe has the sense of who responds best to what.

Boston is not a better team with him out and Kampfer in .

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That’s an interesting argument. I’ve been working on the assumption that it’s probably this year or bust for the Bruins, but you may have something there. This team is understandably tired, and it’s an open question whether they will be able to sufficiently prepare and lift themselves physically and mentally for another deep playoff run. Chances are they won’t be able to and it would be harsh to criticize them if it does pan out that way. The NHL postseason is the most brutal in sport, and it’s with good reason that the Penguins and Red Wings are the only teams in the salary cap era to make back-to-back SCFs, which is all the more impressive for Pittsburgh in their having done it twice.

Perhaps Boston will be fresher and more likely to sustain a good run next season. But there are clear risks in going down that path. Even if Chara were to re-sign, he’s at an age and point in his career where his athletic ability could simply fall off a cliff at any time. And that will be another year older for Bergy, Krejci and even the likes of Marchand and Rask, increasing their chances of injury or simple burn out and loss of form. On the flip side it’s another year of experience for Gryz, Clifton, Studnicka, Kuhlman, McAvoy etc. and as you say a chance to really re-think the roster and add some much needed steel, strength and finish rather than just tinkering before the upcoming deadline.

I guess we’ll just have to see what Sweeney does, and whether he goes all in for this year or is content for now just to add a little value, hope for the best, and properly re-evaluate in the offseason with an eye to next year being the big push.

I just don't see it this as year or bust, or even next. This is not an aging team particularly. Yes Chara, Krejci, and Bergeron are getting on, but then what? Tuuka is in that generation but goalies have a lot longer shelf life of excellence generally speaking. If he wants to keep playing, we have a #1 goalie for that long. Marchand is signed for five more seasons, the D corps beyond Chara (and not factoring in Miller who may be done anyway) is pretty young to go with a number of young forwards- Pasta, JDB, Heinen, Bjork, Kuhlman, Coyle is in his prime years, and then you never really know what young players are going to emerge as the top 6, top pair guys of the future. The team seems built for the long run to me.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I just don't see it this as year or bust, or even next. This is not an aging team particularly. Yes Chara, Krejci, and Bergeron are getting on, but then what? Tuuka is in that generation but goalies have a lot longer shelf life of excellence generally speaking. If he wants to keep playing, we have a #1 goalie for that long. Marchand is signed for five more seasons, the D corps beyond Chara (and not factoring in Miller who may be done anyway) is pretty young to go with a number of young forwards- Pasta, JDB, Heinen, Bjork, Kuhlman, Coyle is in his prime years, and then you never really know what young players are going to emerge as the top 6, top pair guys of the future. The team seems built for the long run to me.

I certainly agree that the Bruins won't just collapse and fall away at some point in the mid-term future. The roster has been cleverly built and manged to produce a squad that should remain very good and competitive for a long time.

But in terms of having that extra 5% that's the difference between being just competitive and a legit Cup contender, Bergeron and to a lesser extent Krejci are the big question marks for me. How long can they stay at the required level, and what happens afterwards? Studnicka to step in for Krejci I hope to see. But unless Bergy is close to his best, I can't see Boston going all the way. Obviously when the inevitable happens they'll need to trade in a new 1C, but that person is unlikely to be Bergeron-calibre, certainly not for the money Patrice is currently on. Perhaps they'll get lucky and find another proper star, perhaps not.

So that's why I feel like time is probably short in terms of landing a Cup, because after that significant uncertainty creeps in with our top centers and our prospects depth is ok but not great.

Reactions: Zillah and Dr Hook

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't like the chips here

upload_2020-1-19_20-14-43.png

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Maybe Cassidy and his staff can sit out a game or two
Gryz getting anther one of these stupid stick infractions with the extra attacker
Unforgivable

Reactions: nORRis8

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Short term we have seen this team go on rolls without guys like Bergeron, Chara and Krejci. They could survive a game without McAvoy, he's not Ray Bourque. If the coach feels he needs to send a message I am all for it.

11 pts on Panthers and Leafs .Enemy have 2 and 1 games at hand.Do what they will but that is the playoff line in my mind .

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Didn’t mind their energy or intensity.

the Powerplay went from deadly to a problem. Still not sure how a 3 on 2 materialized while on the pp. was too angry to rewind and find out what happened.

mcavoy still can’t hit the net.

halak fans on the dump in and mcavoy looks like me trying to make a play, game over.

I’m so glad the garden doesn’t have an air horn guy. Really f*** that guy.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Didn’t mind their energy or intensity.

the Powerplay went from deadly to a problem. Still not sure how a 3 on 2 materialized while on the pp. was too angry to rewind and find out what happened.

mcavoy still can’t hit the net.

halak fans on the dump in and mcavoy looks like me trying to make a play, game over.

I’m so glad the garden doesn’t have an air horn guy. Really **** that guy.

Halak handles the puck worse than most goalies I think.

As I said at the start of the game, the teams that need horn blowing to keep fans interested deserve new fans. Carolina, Pittsburgh, and a few others have it.

Most annoying. Nashville is good at generating natural noise via chanting.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Halak handles the puck worse than most goalies I think.

As I said at the start of the game, the teams that need horn blowing to keep fans interested deserve new fans. Carolina, Pittsburgh, and a few others have it.

Most annoying. Nashville is good at generating natural noise via chanting.

can you imagine sitting near air horn guy? I think I’d throw my back out from being startled. The inflatable thunder stick things are bad enough when teams give them away once in a blue moon, but air horn guy is a whole new level of suckbag

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Well its like the old saying goes, a 3 goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey.

ah shit nevermind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad