Post-Game Talk: Game 5 - Us vs. Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'd have switched Kuznetsov and Backstrom and Burakovsky and Hagelin but other than that it looks right. Need Hagelin's speed to do something... maybe he'll be more effective on that 2nd line than Oshie has been.
They need to retrieve a few dumped pucks. Speed and physicality on the forecheck. Speed on the backcheck. Could be right so long as their passing is sharp and the get pucks toward Mrazek. Beyond that, its a matter of moving their feet, winning battles, and executing.

Reactions: Linnie The Pooh

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Folks round here think TR is a moron. The players regularly describe him as really smart. Whatever is going on with Kuz, Todd knows more than we do. He and the coaches don't need "excuses." They are making informed choices. 8-92 isn't some secret formula. If they are consistently not trying it there must be a good reason. I personally think that reason's name is Dougie Hamilton's elbow.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Folks round here think TR is a moron. The players regularly describe him as really smart. Whatever is going on with Kuz, Todd knows more than we do. He and coaches don't need "excuses." They are making informed choices. 8-92 isn't some secret formula. If they are consistently not trying there must be a good reason. I personally think that reason's name is Dougie Hamilton's elbow.

Why is he playing then?

He was banged up year ago for most of the Playoffs and played with 8 and 43. I don't think Reirden is a moron, but they need to do something to get their depth players going. You can't win with just 1 line. If they somehow can't put Kuznetsov with 43 and 8, then try Eller there. Backstrom carried a line that didn't have Ovechkin year ago. The current setup just isn't working.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Time for the Hail Lloyd prayer yet?

Caps Playoff Drinking Game
1 - Orlov skates the puck into 4 defending players
2 - Carlson does the slowest powerplay slingshot seen since pee-wee league
3 - Nisky skates like an orange cone
4 - Kevin from the Office hugs himself

Just win
seriously i think Carlson is so slow in the zone on pp holds unto the puck..yeah he made a nice play last game on Ovie's goal but other than that every time he gets the puck he holds it for 4 or 5 seconds..clearly a problem yet it happens game after game

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You can't win in the Playoffs with 1 line. If you don't believe me look at what happened to Penguins year ago.

Kuznetsov has not showed that he can carry that second line. Backstrom did year ago.

Where have I said they can win with one line? I am saying that switching 19 and 92 creates more problems than it fixes. Backstrom's 2nd line last season was with a productive Oshie. Not Carl Hagelin.

Kuzy can carry anything or he can be invisible anywhere. He has proved that over years of play. He is gonna feel or he isn't. Doesn't matter who his linemates are.

If we are talking about getting a 2nd line going, I'd just as soon talk about Eller. I think that is just as likely

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Where have I said they can win with one line? I am saying that switching 19 and 92 creates more problems than it fixes. Backstrom's 2nd line last season was with a productive Oshie. Not Carl Hagelin.

Kuzy can carry anything or he can be invisible anywhere. He has proved that over years of play. He is gonna feel or he isn't. Doesn't matter who his linemates are.

If we are talking about getting a 2nd line going, I'd just as soon talk about Eller. I think that is just as likely

How many lines would you say are working right now?

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
To play Devil's Advocate if there were any concussion affects still remaining with Kuzy with how strict the team and the league is about concussions he would not be playing. So I do not think it is medical. It certainly could be still instead his head and be mental that he is going to get another cheap shot to the head and really do some damage and that could really effect how he hard he is going out there. I don't know. All I know is we all see some sort of difference in his play and really when it comes down to it only Kuzy knows what the issue is if there is an issue at all.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I'm also pretty concerned about throwing Siege out there with Carlson against Top 4 match-ups for what should be a lot of minutes.
Yeh not thrilled about using a Hershey call up mid series to play on 1st pairing.

This falls on TR. Kempny wasn’t injured yesterday he’s had plenty of time to work on this pairing.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
To play Devil's Advocate if there were any concussion affects still remaining with Kuzy with how strict the team and the league is about concussions he would not be playing. So I do not think it is medical. It certainly could be still instead his head and be mental that he is going to get another cheap shot to the head and really do some damage and that could really effect how he hard he is going out there. I don't know. All I know is we all see some sort of difference in his play and really when it comes down to it only Kuzy knows what the issue is if there is an issue at all.
Players hide injuries all the time when they want to play

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Why is he playing then?

He was banged up year ago for most of the Playoffs and played with 8 and 43. I don't think Reirden is a moron, but they need to do something to get their depth players going. You can't win with just 1 line. If they somehow can't put Kuznetsov with 43 and 8, then try Eller there. Backstrom carried a line that didn't have Ovechkin year ago. The current setup just isn't working.
Eller? He's not exactly lighting the world on fire right now. And 8-19 has been effective so far. In fact they're the only line that's been any good. So you want these break that in the hope that it fixes everything else?

Their depth players need to move their f***ing feet and win some battles. It's effort and execution that's lacking. 20-10 burned villages all RS and last playoffs. They didn't forget how to play together. They just need to put in all the work.

FWIW, I would like to see what happens with 8-92 back together, but I trust that there must be a good reason not to. I'm only speculating about what that might be.

As a side note, it's become apparent to me that guys need to play through the post-concussion fog.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
We can talk about pairing and stuff all we want.

Truth is we still have a better D on our side than anyone else in Carolina in Carlson

We have a better goalie in Holtby than they have.

We have three better forwards than any forward they have in Ovi, Kuzy, and Backstrom

At some point talent has to get done.

Most cheap tickets I’ve seen online for this game is over $200 right now. Average over $400. Not many tickets left either.

This means Capital One is going to be PACKED and should maybe be louder than it has all year.

Let’s see if players come through like they have last year when we needed them.

Home ice. Big playoff game. Big stage. Need a big performance

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
There's a difference between a concussion and post-concussion syndrome.
Most certainly is and that is a great point. One of the main symptoms of that is confusion as well as headaches and ringing in the ears. I would imagine that the teams doctors are on top of that with him and Neurologists are aware of signs to look for of those symptoms.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad