GDT: Game 5: Phoenix Coyotes @ Philadelphia Flyers | 10-11-13 | 4PM Arizona Time

2yotesfans88

Jan 27, 2008
Taking a page from my book? Stir the pot 101? :laugh:

I'd say his two points in the last two games have been not only an improvement, but pivotal. Look at it from a different perspective: Anytime Nash shuts up about something he's droaned on about ad nauseum is a blessing! :)

agreed. It seems people are selling RIbs a little short. its going to take a good 10 or so games for him to find his place. i think that will be with hanzal and vrbata. Doan, as much as i love his game, is not on the same wavelength as ribeiro.

one thing he does is create time and space with the puck. and the coyotes havent had that since whitney. Look at the OEL power play goal. last year that puck would have been put on net instead of a pass to oel.

RIbs has the ability to keep the puck for that extra second or two that players like OEL vrbata yandle pick up on and know to jump in or move to an open space. he creates that little extra time and space to make a legit scoring chance.

bods vermette and doan as a heavy fast first line. followed with ribs hanzal and vrbata. it just seems like a better fit.

i dont think hes going to put up the same numbers as he did in washington obviously but i wouldnt be surprised if did IF things click with vrbata and hanzal.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ribs also started slow in Washington last year. It probably takes a little bit for him to understand where our players are going. We don't have a lot of offensive talent. It can be difficult for players with vision to work with players that have little.

We really need one scoring winger to compliment his game IMO.

After finally getting a first line centre I really don't want him moved to LW.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
...is the word

grease-1-630x233.jpg

lots of griess here as well

nash_100.jpg

I have a hunch if he was their #2 on the depth chart, the AZ Cardinals fans would be saying start him over Carson Palmer.

After one game, that is.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
RIbs has the ability to keep the puck for that extra second or two that players like OEL vrbata yandle pick up on and know to jump in or move to an open space. he creates that little extra time and space to make a legit scoring chance.

I notice other teams don't like to rush Ribs on the PP either. They just kind of stay in position and hope Ribs doesn't find an opportunity. This usually allows us to pass it back to the blue line or find a better lane for a shot. Before it felt like whoever tried to set up the PP would get rushed, scramble, send it back to a Dman who wasn't ready and now the puck is in our end.

RIbs has the ability to keep the puck for that extra second or two that players like OEL vrbata yandle pick up on and know to jump in or move to an open space.

I also think Ribs adapts to the players he plays with. I think he will begin to see where his line mates like to go and begin playing the puck in those areas. I'm giving it a couple more games. Also, he isn't a 1-2 year rental like Whitney was. We got him for a while and I think he is going to work out very well with Domi and possibly some of the younger guys coming up. I see him as a mentor and a point producer.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
He had a couple of monsterous, momentum crushing turnovers last night, though. I've noticed quite a few uncharacteristic bobbles in each game so far, too. He's made me feel anything but at ease. He's had some pretty good defensive plays, and I do appreciate his effort level, and willingness to engage physically despite his modest build. That said, he's looked exactly like a 600kay career AHLer through the first five games. Tim Kennedy has been more effective.

I do fully expect him to improve, but I'm absolutely getting impatient. We signed a guy supposed to be nearly a point per game player. We are five games in. I want more and I want it now. He has not yet looked like anything approaching a difference maker. I really hope we see at least a flash of SOMETHING tomorrow.

His lack of contribution is becoming the elephant in the room. I'm starting to notice Nash outright avoid talking about Ribeiro, when just four games ago he couldn't shut up about him. Tippett doesn't get asked about him in pressers, when two weeks ago it's all anyone ever asked him to talk about.

This needs to get fixed before it becomes a story. He's got tomorrow to do that, but not much longer before people really start to notice and his lack of contribution takes on a life of its own.

You're seeing him as Sullivan 2.0?

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I agree. Ribs has been a disappointment for me, but I think he will break out once he can find that chemistry with that one or two people.
I hope he doesn't need a seeing-eye dog and a cane to accomplish this...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You exaggerate.

I'd say his two points in the last two games have been not only an improvement, but pivotal. Look at it from a different perspective: Anytime Nash shuts up about something he's droaned on about ad nauseum is a blessing! :)

He has done that the last 2 games. If he doesn't get a point in the next two I will start to get worried but he could easily have turned the corner. Again, his chemistry with OEL is excellent. The goal last night and the set up in Calgary both would not have happened without Ribs. We need other players to be able to step into empty space instead of staying in their positions when that space opens.

I think a combination of Ribs getting used to the team and the team getting used to Ribs is developing and I think RIbs can become a PPG player here. Especially with out D on the PP

All of you are correct. I agree. I'm just impatient.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Took the kids to the fair last night, so I watched it on Game Center this morning. Greiss is legit. Ribeiro - Hanzal - Vrbata as the first PP unit looks so much more in control than the old set-up that I'm perfectly happy waiting for more chemistry to develop 5 on 5. Really like the OEL/Stone pairing with them and Yandle/Morris with Boedker - Vermette - Doan. It's two different looks with the latter already having a couple of seasons worth of chemistry together. Doan has stopped worrying about one-timer set-ups and is going to the net hard again. Tip was double-shifting him in Biz's spot with Klink and Kennedy and they looked great together. Match-up nightmare for the other team.
Definitely a looser game then Detroit, but a better effort than many back to back games in the past.
Stopped at the Jobing.com box office yesterday on the way to the fair and got tickets for Saturday's Red Wings game.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
He had a couple of monsterous, momentum crushing turnovers last night, though. I've noticed quite a few uncharacteristic bobbles in each game so far, too. He's made me feel anything but at ease. He's had some pretty good defensive plays, and I do appreciate his effort level, and willingness to engage physically despite his modest build. That said, he's looked exactly like a 600kay career AHLer through the first five games. Tim Kennedy has been more effective.

I do fully expect him to improve, but I'm absolutely getting impatient. We signed a guy supposed to be nearly a point per game player. We are five games in. I want more and I want it now. He has not yet looked like anything approaching a difference maker. I really hope we see at least a flash of SOMETHING tomorrow.

His lack of contribution is becoming the elephant in the room. I'm starting to notice Nash outright avoid talking about Ribeiro, when just four games ago he couldn't shut up about him. Tippett doesn't get asked about him in pressers, when two weeks ago it's all anyone ever asked him to talk about.

This needs to get fixed before it becomes a story. He's got tomorrow to do that, but not much longer before people really start to notice and his lack of contribution takes on a life of its own.

I was thinking of talking you off the ledge by saying some of the same things that have already been said.... but after thinking for a few minutes, I thought I'd take a different angle...

Steve Sullivan had a hat trick in his third game is a coyote..... how did that turn out in the long run...

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
He had a couple of monsterous, momentum crushing turnovers last night, though.

There was one in the third period in which we had clear possession in the Flyers' zone, and his miscue led to a couple minutes of nerve-wracking chances against Greiss. What bothered me was him shaking his head after he lost the puck, and waiting a couple seconds to back check.

I do see promise on the power play for the reasons others are seeing. Everybody knows not to come after him. I think he can be every bit as effective as Whitney was along the half boards.

One striking thing about watching Greiss last night was his aversion to going behind the net. Even Lol was pretty good at it, and Smith is obviously one of the best. It just looks odd now to see our goalie have no interest in going behind his net after the hard-around, especially those that would be so easy to stop. But as we learned with Bryz, it's best not to try to handle the puck if you're not good at it.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Mike Ribeiro, on the other hand, has been exactly as effective as Cal O'Reilly was for us. I see zero difference between Cal O'Reilly as a Coyote and Mike Ribeiro as a Coyote.

The only differences is that one played 10min/game and the other played 20min/game and one made 600k/year and the other $5.5million:laugh:

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010

It's Phoenix man. Not Toronto. If you think it's gonna be an issue, think again. I'm not disagreeing with you that he needs to produce, just saying. I doubt he's gonna get much flack from anyone.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't mean it will become the dominant narrative of the Arizona sports scene. Just a key point of focus in Coyotes specific day to day interaction with the few media members who are paid to cover the team.

I expect him to get going before it becomes an issue. I'm still nervous he won't. I worry. It's what I do. Worry and exaggerate. Haha.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

I am not sure what people expected from Ribby? A point a game player can make those points in so many different ways! What we have seen thus far is a player with obvious skill when the puck is on his stick and he has room to operate. This would seem to square with his ability to pile up assists on the PP. Outside of that, his game has been marginal at best. He has exhibited little overall puck control in other areas of the ice other than the offensive zone. His two way play is well below average. That said, I think Tip will find players to complement his offensive skills as well as those who can make up for his seeming lack of defensive abilities. I do believe he will finish the year with a fair number of points, though the invisible man he will remain, this is the nature of his game-get used to it.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

LOL about Nash! he does have an obnoxious delivery form. Perhaps using one of his often used metaphors might help him! that would be he needs to "take one in the pumpkin"! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad