GDT: Game 5: Phoenix Coyotes @ Philadelphia Flyers | 10-11-13 | 4PM Arizona Time

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Stone's slapshot is actually notorious around the NHL. Scouts, analysts, broadcasters and players everywhere comment on it. I would like to know how he would stack up in the hardest shot competition

Do you remember which players you've heard/read that have commented on his shot?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I actually thought the Coyotes played poorly. Very sloppy and a bunch of terrible decisions. Greiss saved our ass. That and the Flyers didn't do themselves any favors. I thought we played much, much more similarly in this game to the games against the Sharks and Islanders than the game against Detroit. We were very lucky to escape with a win. This was more of a steal than anything.

Oh and Rinaldo is the worst hockey player I've ever seen.

Philly fans are pathetic. What's with the booing? Grow up. The Flyers played hard. Those fans are garbage.

I'm thrilled to see Bissonnette actually fight in retaliation to an in game incident. Against a non heavyweight, no less. It's everything I've ever wanted from this guy. Biz had a good game. Two good games actually. If he keeps this up, I'll be happy to see him in the line up.

Rob Klinkhammer is ****ing awesome. My favorite player right now.

Mike Ribeiro, on the other hand, has been exactly as effective as Cal O'Reilly was for us. I see zero difference between Cal O'Reilly as a Coyote and Mike Ribeiro as a Coyote.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I couldn't stand watching O'Reilly. At least Ribeiro is showing (if nothing else) that he can pass as well as anybody else out there. Did Cal O'Reilly at least bring that much? (I honestly can't recall what redeeming factors he had, if any).

I appreciate Ribeiro's confidence as well. The guy wants the puck on his stick, plain and simple. I think I caught him three times intercepting passes meant for one of our other forwards. Yeah, he could have just been reeling in passes that he thought were meant for him, assuming there was no one beyond him, but really such interceptions have never stood out to me so much in any other instance.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I feel at ease wen Ribs has the puck. Like I said the other night, when he has the puck he just seems so calm and slick with it. I love it.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I feel safe when ribs has the puck which is more than I can say for some of our other players. It's hard to take it away from him. That being said, he really hasn't done anything with it yet outside the power play. And he looks worse to me on the wing than the center.

Also, I'm not the best analysis guy around here but so far I think Vermette has been playing pretty well. Especially in the face-off dot, but also in other situations. I think he was trying to do too much last year, and this new role is more suitable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I actually thought the Coyotes played poorly. Very sloppy and a bunch of terrible decisions. Greiss saved our ass. That and the Flyers didn't do themselves any favors. I thought we played much, much more similarly in this game to the games against the Sharks and Islanders than the game against Detroit. We were very lucky to escape with a win. This was more of a steal than anything.

Oh and Rinaldo is the worst hockey player I've ever seen.

Philly fans are pathetic. What's with the booing? Grow up. The Flyers played hard. Those fans are garbage.

I'm thrilled to see Bissonnette actually fight in retaliation to an in game incident. Against a non heavyweight, no less. It's everything I've ever wanted from this guy. Biz had a good game. Two good games actually. If he keeps this up, I'll be happy to see him in the line up.

Rob Klinkhammer is ****ing awesome. My favorite player right now.

Mike Ribeiro, on the other hand, has been exactly as effective as Cal O'Reilly was for us. I see zero difference between Cal O'Reilly as a Coyote and Mike Ribeiro as a Coyote.

It's not so much that they played poorly, they did, but they played tired. Getting to their hotel room at 2AM. and playing back to back is not easy.

I agree with your assessment on Biz.

Klink is my favorite player also. I love the way he plays.

I also agree what you say about Ribeiro. When he does have the puck though, he can really slow the play down, but he has to do a lot more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel at ease wen Ribs has the puck. Like I said the other night, when he has the puck he just seems so calm and slick with it. I love it.

I agree, but he was brought in to do more than seem calm and slick with the puck. Ribs and Yandle have been my biggest disappointments this year so far.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

His linemates aren't on the same wavelength as he is. Multiple times he passed it to an open area of the ice, expecting someone to be smart enough to realize it was a give and go. No dice, just turned the puck over. Consider who he played with in Washington. He'll find his way, just have to stop moving him around lines so much.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His linemates aren't on the same wavelength as he is. Multiple times he passed it to an open area of the ice, expecting someone to be smart enough to realize it was a give and go. No dice, just turned the puck over. Consider who he played with in Washington. He'll find his way, just have to stop moving him around lines so much.

I think he will also, just shows we do need that much talked about top six player. Looks like OV isn't missing Ribs much.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Greiss... is... wow.

...is the word

grease-1-630x233.jpg

lots of griess here as well

nash_100.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also I'm glad people are starting to notice Stone. He's got great positioning, a killer slapshot and likes to throw nasty hits. They need to keep him in the roster, great young player.

I love his physical play. With Klesla and Stone both in the lineup it really gives our defense another dimension. And Stone's slapshot! Him and DMO can really let it fly.

wpgyotes

Bye Bryz
Jul 6, 2006
It's nice having a competent back-up who gives us a chance to win when he starts.

Putting Ribiero into this lineup has a bit of a "square peg in a round hole" look to it thus far, but I think he'll find his way. Our power play is much better with him on it w/o question. If there's one player who is on his wavelength skill-wise, it's Vrbata, so hopefully the two of them can manufacture some chemistry.

They really grinded out a win - wasn't always pretty and they were on their heels for stretches of the game, but under the circumstances I thought the effort was better than the two ugly losses earlier in the week.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If there was an award for laziest and sloppiest transition game tonight, the Coyotes would be World Champions.

Back to back road games. Getting to their hotel rooms at 2am.and playing two pretty good teams. Give the guys a break.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's nice having a competent back-up who gives us a chance to win when he starts.

Putting Ribiero into this lineup has a bit of a "square peg in a round hole" look to it thus far, but I think he'll find his way. Our power play is much better with him on it w/o question. If there's one player who is on his wavelength skill-wise, it's Vrbata, so hopefully the two of them can manufacture some chemistry.

They really grinded out a win - wasn't always pretty and they were on their heels for stretches of the game, but under the circumstances I thought the effort was better than the two ugly losses earlier in the week.

I agree. Ribs has been a disappointment for me, but I think he will break out once he can find that chemistry with that one or two people.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I feel at ease wen Ribs has the puck.

Two PPP in two games is pretty good. That OEL goal last night straight up wouldn't have happened without Ribs. The Stone one may have but I highly doubt we would have had puck possession for as long as we did to allow Stone to get that shot off.

I see improvements from the first game and he has already turned the PP around. Could we ask for more? Sure, but I like where this is heading with Ribs.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Stone is going to be a keeper. Yandle's future partner, possibly OEL's if he can improve his mobility even more.

He had everything he needed to play an NHL game from his first camp EXCEPT mobility and quickness, he brought that part of his game up in short order, I believe he can ramp it up one more notch. DEFINITELY a keeper.

rt

May 13, 2004
Morris and Stone have been the only consistently good D. I'd add Klesla but he's had penalty trouble. OEL, Michalek, Morris, and Rundblad have been really inconsistent. Lots of bad with the good. Schlemko hasn't had any bright spots.

rt

May 13, 2004

He had a couple of monsterous, momentum crushing turnovers last night, though. I've noticed quite a few uncharacteristic bobbles in each game so far, too. He's made me feel anything but at ease. He's had some pretty good defensive plays, and I do appreciate his effort level, and willingness to engage physically despite his modest build. That said, he's looked exactly like a 600kay career AHLer through the first five games. Tim Kennedy has been more effective.

I do fully expect him to improve, but I'm absolutely getting impatient. We signed a guy supposed to be nearly a point per game player. We are five games in. I want more and I want it now. He has not yet looked like anything approaching a difference maker. I really hope we see at least a flash of SOMETHING tomorrow.

His lack of contribution is becoming the elephant in the room. I'm starting to notice Nash outright avoid talking about Ribeiro, when just four games ago he couldn't shut up about him. Tippett doesn't get asked about him in pressers, when two weeks ago it's all anyone ever asked him to talk about.

This needs to get fixed before it becomes a story. He's got tomorrow to do that, but not much longer before people really start to notice and his lack of contribution takes on a life of its own.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
He had a couple of monsterous, momentum crushing turnovers last night, though. I've noticed quite a few uncharacteristic bobbles in each game so far, too. He's made me feel anything but at ease. He's had some pretty good defensive plays, and I do appreciate his effort level, and willingness to engage physically despite his modest build. That said, he's looked exactly like a 600kay career AHLer through the first five games. Tim Kennedy has been more effective.

I do fully expect him to improve, but I'm absolutely getting impatient. We signed a guy supposed to be nearly a point per game player. We are five games in. I want more and I want it now. He has not yet looked like anything approaching a difference maker. I really hope we see at least a flash of SOMETHING tomorrow.

His lack of contribution is becoming the elephant in the room. I'm starting to notice Nash outright avoid talking about Ribeiro, when just four games ago he couldn't shut up about him. Tippett doesn't get asked about him in pressers, when two weeks ago it's all anyone ever asked him to talk about.

This needs to get fixed before it becomes a story. He's got tomorrow to do that, but not much longer before people really start to notice and his lack of contribution takes on a life of its own.

You exaggerate.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Taking a page from my book? Stir the pot 101? :laugh:

I'd say his two points in the last two games have been not only an improvement, but pivotal. Look at it from a different perspective: Anytime Nash shuts up about something he's droaned on about ad nauseum is a blessing! :)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
We signed a guy supposed to be nearly a point per game player.

He has done that the last 2 games. If he doesn't get a point in the next two I will start to get worried but he could easily have turned the corner. Again, his chemistry with OEL is excellent. The goal last night and the set up in Calgary both would not have happened without Ribs. We need other players to be able to step into empty space instead of staying in their positions when that space opens.

I think a combination of Ribs getting used to the team and the team getting used to Ribs is developing and I think RIbs can become a PPG player here. Especially with out D on the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad