If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Note the question, not "WILL" they blow it up, which is a very different question, but should they? They obviously got very close to winning the whole thing in 2019 (lost in Game 7 at home as a favorite to St. Louis)

Since then:

2019-20: Lost second round to Lightning (4-1)
2020-21: Lost second round to Islanders (4-2)
2021-22: Lost first round to Hurricanes (4-3)
2022-23: Lost first round to Panthers (4-3)

Notable retirements: Zdeno Chara, David Krejci, Tuuka Rask, Patrice Bergeron

Brad Marchand turns 36 years old tomorrow (May 11th).

Right now the series with Florida is FAR from over. Obviously if they come back, they should not do anything from a blow it up standpoint.. However, if Florida ultimately does prevail, is the writing on the wall that Boston's sustained period of contention is over? In which case, should they make an attempt to salvage what they can from an asset perspective, or keep riding it out as far as it'll go?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean they were one of the best teams this year. They have the team concept down, a culture that most teams would love to have. They just need scoring depth.

They probably need to do a big coup to give them the depth to go further in the playoffs.
Their only real play is to trade Ullmark for that sort of of thing.. but goalie trade market is notoriously not great. Everyone knows you are trading from a place of relative weakness because having two goaltenders is just excessive.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Pasta, Marchand, McAvoy, Lindholm, Swayman aren’t going anywhere. I’m not sure shuffling the deck chairs below then them is considered blowing it up. I would imagine there’s going to be some changes but nothing that would be considered major outside of moving on from Ullmark and maybe losing DeBrusk.

So no, not a blow-up. Maybe a reset but this is still one of the better regular season teams over the last few years who have a good to great core and pretty good coaching. I do think they’ll have to do something at the Center position but with an asset like Ullmark available maybe there’s a fit for a hockey trade.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Plenty of time during summer to discuss that. Unless you can't live in the momment.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think they'll be like Tampa now: not as good as they were but good enough to challenge for a spot in the playoffs and possibly scare some teams. Both teams have lost good players but still have some of their top guys.

FLA may dominate the Atlantic for a while. BOS and TB have declined and teams like BUF, DET and OTT still haven't gotten to the playoffs with their current cores. Who knows if TOR will ever figure it out for the playoffs.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So either not young or not good or an intersection when discussing 22 year old depth players?
Some teams think you need to be horrible for 5-10 years to draft top 10 and hope you can rebuild from there.
Some teams don't.

Chicago is a good example of the former.
Boston is a good example of the latter.

Only one of em is in the second round and playing above their heads

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Some teams think you need to be horrible for 5-10 years to draft top 10 and hope you can rebuild from there.
Some teams don't.

Chicago is a good example of the former.
Boston is a good example of the latter.

One of em is still playing
Ok now, let's relax 1 Cup in 50 years... I'm not a personification of the Chicago Blackhawks.

• Haha
Reactions: td_ice

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Idk, nothing is guaranteed. Things break the Bs way Sunday and it becomes a best of three.
I'm basing on what I saw the last 2 games. They're not going to be able to hang. Maybe they decide to play hockey out of the gate and steal a game at best. Win 3 more? Extremely doubtful.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They havent had picks. Thats a decent core with cap space to add and we need to draft well.
Yeah, the core is what it is, but I wouldn't call it "young" considering they're all UFA age.

It's just a discussion of philosophy. Boston isn't looking to blow anything up, they're retooling while remaining competitive and taking some real legit shots at the cup (like last year).
Don't understand why you brought the Blackhawks into discussion.. just seemed like a deflection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad