GDT: Game #5 Jan. 22nd Pens Host the Rangers @ 7:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When 3/4 of the forward group looks like their conditioning is not there, I don’t see why you don’t put Kappy in the position that best helps the team. If there was a full preseason and training camp missed, I get it, but it was so condensed that it really doesn’t matter imo. And if you want to control his minutes early than keep him off the special teams for a few games.

But with the shortened season and every game being a 4-pt game, you can’t give away points, even early. And it’s not like he’d be replacing someone that is performing well...

Kapanen or Rodrigues on the top line is not going to cause this team to win or lose a game.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I noticed him being gassed at the end of multiple shifts. There is literally no downside to ease him in.

Do you really think a guy can just jump into NHL action after basically having to sit around and do nothing, with no training camp and minimal practices?
The downside is that Evan Rodrigues is still on the 1st line, and is playing almost 18 minutes a night (almost as much as Rust).

TheNorthPenguin

Oct 25, 2019
Kapanen or Rodrigues on the top line is not going to cause this team to win or lose a game.
In the sense that the team has other (major) problems, I agree, but otherwise, having a competent winger in the top 6 and scoring or creating chances for his all star line mates can most definitely change the outcome of a game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
yes, a 24 year old hockey player who’s played two previous years in the league and was pretty much their best player last game needs to be “eased” into the lineup (eye roll)...just like a poor defenseman who’s been bad his whole career for six years needs to be “eased in” to learn a whole new system, which is very taxing I’m sure...
Honest to God.. where the f*** else do you see that? :laugh: It's shit. Get in on L1.

And sorry.. I think Tanev should be on L2. Rusty should move down just for a little bit. Rusty will figure it out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The downside is that Evan Rodrigues is still on the 1st line, and is playing almost 18 minutes a night (almost as much as Rust).

I feel like that's a separate problem in itself :laugh:

They should be limiting Kapanen's minutes to start, but that doesn't mean that they should be playing Rodrigues 18 minutes a night.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I admit that it's definitely a little weird and perhaps concerning (Erod isn't REALLY gonna be Sully's next "thing" -- right?!?) but I'm just saying it's his second game and there are at least semi-rational reasons for that choice. See how the game unfolds.

EDIT: One thing I'll never defend is Erod with 18 minutes a night.

What. The. Actual. f***.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

TheNorthPenguin

Oct 25, 2019
I feel bad for Marino...offside and everyone knows Ceci is so bad at skating and passing the puck, he’s going to get mauled...
I honestly feel like that’s the worst possible choice, like there’s really no great options but I feel like throwing POJ to the fire with Marino or using Ruh and Marino together and just sheltering the hell out of the bottom pair might be more preferable options.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, I mean. That's everyone's issue @Empoleon8771.

People would still be bitching about Kapanen on the 4th line even if ERod wasn't playing 18 minutes a night.

ERod playing 18 minutes a night is a problem because you can give extra minutes to guys like Tanev and McCann, who deserve the minutes more. That's a separate issue from Kapanen entirely.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Not sure why they’re keeping line 2 in tact. Things seemed to turn around last game after Tanev was bumped up. I guess we’ll see how long it lasts.

Reactions: ownal

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honest to God.. where the f*** else do you see that? :laugh: It's shit. Get in on L1.

And sorry.. I think Tanev should be on L2. Rusty should move down just for a little bit. Rusty will figure it out.

The only two Penguins forwards who have played in every game this year without a point at 5 on 5 are . . . Sid and Geno.

But, clearly there's no need to mix it up for either of them . . .

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The only two Penguins forwards who have played in every game this year without a point at 5 on 5 are . . . Sid and Geno.

But, clearly there's no need to mix it up for either of them . . .

I heard Zucker Malkin and Rust were performing actual miracles today in practice. Water into wine kinda stuff, baby.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad